Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    What do you think of IGN reviews?

I think people forgot GamerGate too quickly and games journalism not only rebounded back into the cesspool it once was, i'd argue its worse now than ever. They aren't even trying to hide bias anymore. As for IGN in particular, all i have to say is one name 'Mitch Dyer'.

This 60 year old lesbian potato looking mother fucker single handedly lowers the quality of games journalism every time he posts something and he does it A LOT. His entire existance is literally nothing but shitting on moba's that aren't DOTA2. He will go into them wanting to hate them and will actively try to ruin his own fun in order to do so.

Perhaps the best example of this was his review of HoTS, which he gave 6.5/10. Not only was the majority of it completely wrong, but the things he complained that were missing from the game were actually in the game. IGN did eventually re-review it and gave it a 8.5/10 or something like that, but their 6.5 review that may as well have been a review of Walmart, because it had absolutely nothing to do with HoTS, was up for YEARS, festering on their site and destroying their credibility. They didn't even get him to re-review it, either. In fact, when cornered on it, Mitch will tell you its just pissed off HoTS fanboys upset with his 'HONEST REVIEW'.

IGN is the type of company that would review a need for speed game and imply in every paragraph that you can't drive cars in the game, then complain that the game is lacking cars, then give it a 7/10 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    ....is this serious? A lot of games. Andromeda is a solid 7/10, which Dan Stapleton gave it a 7.7 which isn't far off. Of course it's disappointing considering how great Mass Effect is, but it is hardly a bad game.
    Did you even play the game? Its more bug-ridden than any Elder Scrolls or Fallout. You can't play as a white person unless you play as the default Ryders. Most of the NPCs look like someone purposely made a bunch of ugly characters in the character creator, and have mediocre to average voice-acting. The writing mostly comes off as really bad tumblr fanfiction.

On topic, IGN is just like any other form of gaming 'journalism': at least 90% of good reviews were paid for so people can are tricked into buying it.

So you have two spectrums - IGN and Angry Joe/Zero Punctuation/any other dumdum with a webcam and internet access.

Angry Joe has theatrics, Zero Punctuation has writing. Well, video games, like the vast percentage of game's content, is not art. Journalism about video games, is even less of an art. So spare me your drama club lessons, go sign up for some auditions. With IGN I get a boring concise 5 minute list that's mostly straight to the point. Story, graphics, gameplay, audio, bugs. And then an opinion. An opinion of a gaming journalist. If I ranked professions in whole world - whores would be like near my penis level, journalists - near toes and gaming journalists - even lower. Yeah, I don't give two shits about some gaming journalists opinion, whether it's some rando from IGN or from youtube. I get a list, I form my opinion, and I've skipped plenty of 10/10 games and enjoyed 6.5/10 games...

IGN all the way.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

No single review will be able to tell you whether you'll like a game and all sources have problems. Users are more likely to drop reviews when they're pissed off or fanboys or on some sort of crusade. Videos are too slow and prone to harvesting outrage or edge-lord clicks. I tend to read a bunch of "magazine" reviews to get a range of opinions but really I only need to know if the game is fundamentally broken, anything else will be subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraynor View Post
    On topic, IGN is just like any other form of gaming 'journalism': at least 90% of good reviews were paid for so people can are tricked into buying it.
    Citation needed.

This is the same crowd that gave Alien: Isolation a 5.9/10. Says it all, really.

Gaming journalism is a joke, and IGN are the old masters of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Citation needed.
    No citation needed. It's common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss Gametrailers.com Nothing ever replaced it! Could relate to most of their opinions.
    Not to mention all their fun subchannels. RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yea, I have no idea how a hipster totally not edgelord didn't mentioned zero punctuation - a guy who has literally 1 review and keeps pushing it for what? 6 years now? After three videos his joke become very boring, but heyyy, at least it's not IGN.
    Plus Yahtzee sold out to Nintendo with his Breath of the Wild review.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ign gave god hand a 3. Screw them

Ah, one of those blind-faith things.

IGN and objectivity shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

This goes for their game reviews (Blizzard pays them the big bucks to get good scores, as well as other companies), but also for their movie reviews, like the 8.9 given to Ocean's 8, who, as of this writing, is by far the highest score on Metacritic.

They have a heavy SJW agenda, and will even delete/censor your post if you even mention "SJW", I'm not kidding.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    (Blizzard pays them the big bucks to get good scores, as well as other companies)
    Citation needed.

Quote Originally Posted by IGN on Pokemon ORAS
    My thoughts on IGN exactly.

Ah, one of those blind-faith things.
    No, it's one of those "this is the way journalism has always been" things.

No, it's one of those "this is the way journalism has always been" things.
    Same as all politicians are like Trump, vaccines cause autism and the British royal family are reptile people?

ACG

/10 char

Same as all politicians are like Trump, vaccines cause autism and the British royal family are reptile people?
    That's...not even remotely related, but whatever. I'm done with you.

It's not though, because it doesn't happen. IGN reviews can be shit, but they're not paid by publishers for review scores.

I've personally always found IGN reviews to provide enough information for me to form my own opinion about the game or at least give me enough to go look other places to get more information, even if (when) the review itself is biased. They're a decent source of information only, but like with any other review site try not to take anything subjective they say seriously.