Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Using Fortnite on XB1 you can bring your progress to Switch/PC but if you use it on PS4 you can't bring it anywhere. This is a first that a game has allowed you to take your progress somewhere freely back and forth (besides Paragon and FFXIV).
    isn't it the same with Nintendo?
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    isn't it the same with Nintendo?
    From what I understand of it (and I could be wrong) as long as you don't use PS4 you can transfer ur progress from any of the other platforms to another and back.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It is bullshit, But why should Sony play ball now?

Microsoft refused to work with them before but yet want to now because they are being outsold badly.

Is it bullshit? Yep. But that kinda happens when you burn a bridge.
    They aren't doing it to Spite Microsoft, they're doing it for the exact same reason that Microsoft didn't allow it before.

The PS4 is currently more successful than the XBone. Why would they do something that would only help their competitors?

I don't like it and I don't think they would lose much from it, but the fact is that allowing it would result in a loss for Sony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    They aren't doing it to Spite Microsoft, they're doing it for the exact same reason that Microsoft didn't allow it before.

The PS4 is currently more successful than the XBone. Why would they do something that would only help their competitors?

I don't like it and I don't think they would lose much from it, but the fact is that allowing it would result in a loss for Sony.
    Its likely both even more so since Sony is a Japanese owned company and they do hold a grudge.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I wonder if there is some kind of breach of contract here on Playstation's part?
    I would assume that there's a potential breach of the User Agreements rather than contracts per se. There have been games in the past, (I think it might have been Minecraft?) that have wanted to include Crossplay but Sony had to shoot them down because they couldn't adequately protect their user data AFAIK. It could be a similar situation here, where Sony's existing legal agreements prevent them from allowing this kind of crossplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    How does Crossplay help your competition? People playing Fortnight on Xbone already have an Xbone! They're not your customers to begin with, and likely never were. Most people have a circle of friends who own the same console(s) anyway, so you're hardly likely to entice them away.

Are Sony worried that people are going to decide that the Xbone version is massively superior and all decide to buy themselves an Xbone? It's possible, however that shows Sony have a lack of faith in their hardware and their console exclusives.

It's worth mentioning that Fortnight, currently, allows Xbone, Switch, PC and Mac crossplay. That's a huge benefit for the owners of those consoles, it means you can play on the go with the same account. You can lay with friends on other platforms and will, on average, have faster games of better quality. You say that Crossplay would help Sony's competition, I would argue that not having it is going to harm you more than it's going to help them.

It might even, in future console generations, be beneficial for the business too. If your friends have Xboxes, you end up getting one too if you want to play with them. If Crossplay ever becomes the norm, you're free to buy a PlayStation for the exclusives and are still able to play with friends who have Xboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    And Fair enough, however why is Crossplay so important all of a sudden?
    For a game like Fortnight, Crossplay isn't "important" at the moment, since the playerbase is large enough on each platform to be sustainable right now. It might impact queue times, since you need 99 other players, but Fortnight would be just fine.

It'll be increasingly important in the future if current trends continue. If the Xbox, Switch and PC are all offering crossplay, then you're getting a much wider pool of potential players for any given title. If you're looking to play a competative title, thats a huge benefit for you as the player. If Sony are the sole manufacturer not to offer Crossplay, then why would anyone get one? You'd be getting an objectively inferior version of any multiplayer game. You'll have longer wait times and matches that are of worse quality.

Where Crossplay really shines is when you have more niche titles that are availible on multiple platforms. It allows for a unified player base across all platforms, rather than having the community fragmented. It keeps smaller titles alive and thriving for a much longer time, which makes them much more attractive for smaller publishers to support long term. A world in which indies can have online successes is one where we loosen the stranglehold the likes of EA and Activision have on the marketplace.

Deleted
    You understand it correctly.

Using Fortnite on XB1 you can bring your progress to Switch/PC but if you use it on PS4 you can't bring it anywhere. This is a first that a game has allowed you to take your progress somewhere freely back and forth (besides Paragon and FFXIV).

Its a dumb issue but not world ending.

Ah thanks, and agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    How does Crossplay help your competition? People playing Fortnight on Xbone already have an Xbone! They're not your customers to begin with, and likely never were. Most people have a circle of friends who own the same console(s) anyway, so you're hardly likely to entice them away.
    Your follow up question answers your orignal question;

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Are Sony worried that people are going to decide that the Xbone version is massively superior and all decide to buy themselves an Xbone? It's possible, however that shows Sony have a lack of faith in their hardware and their console exclusives.
    Businesses do not run on faith. You might be thinking of charities.

If it is possible that changing their practice "might" cause them to lose customers then the correct step to take is to not change their practice. Almost everyone arguing for Sony to open their doors is doing so entirely with zero consideration of the (potential or actual) impact on Sony, and 100% consideration of what they want themselves.

Sure people say that they will not buy Sony's product, but in the end they do. We are our own worst enemy in that regard.

I am all for opening up cross play and would welcome it. I also actually believe Sony and Microsoft could make themselves a lot more money if they colluded when planning their future steps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Their non statement was so silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    gamers should support their own interests, not the interests of companies that can never love you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    gamers should support their own interests, not the interests of companies that can never love you.
    Obviously capcom loves me since im getting re2 and dmc 5 early next year

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Obviously capcom loves me since im getting re2 and dmc 5 early next year
    thats true, they did write in their investors meeting that this year was to show love to Video Games from MMO-Champion

15+ Year Old Account
    thats true, they did write in their investors meeting that this year was to show love to Video Games from MMO-Champion
    Itsuno dmd me wat u want and i told him dmc 5 and he said say no more and here we are.

Sony has never been a good company. Most japanese companies are like this, extremely selfish and greedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Itsuno dmd me wat u want and i told him dmc 5 and he said say no more and here we are.
    damn, get them to put G rank in MH: World.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    Businesses do not run on faith. You might be thinking of charities.
    Would you prefer I used the word "confidence"? Sony have a lack of confidence in their hardware and fear being outcompeted by the Xbone and Switch. However you want to word it, the meaning is the same.

Regardless, if Sony are worried that the Xbone version is superior, they've gone ahead and MADE it the superior version by walling off the PS4. What if Call of Duty, Fifa and other huge titles want to include Crossplay? The Xbone is going to get the superior version of those too. Should Microsoft and Nintendo continue to allow crossplay on their platforms, then Sony are going to be getting the inferior version of a lot of online games in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    damn, get them to put G rank in MH: World.
    Nah idc about mh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah idc about mh.
    but they love you

Just let Sega rise back up with the Dreamcast 2 already!

15+ Year Old Account
    but they love you
    Yeah so i get a great looking dmc 5 and re 2

Because its a large corporation and large corporations are always up their own ass.

Its why I'm so sick of the industry in general. Its all about giving as little as possible for more money. The price of a new game in 2002 and today might have been 60 bucks, but the industry nickels and dimes you out of more money.

No company is innocent. In this case, Sony is guilty of limiting fun because they want to cripple the Switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Just let Sega rise back up with the Dreamcast 2 already!
    Dreamcast 2 now with Despacito 2!