Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    icy veins is great, just stay away from noxxic - they haven't put out a good guide in many years
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    icy veins is great, just stay away from noxxic - they haven't put out a good guide in many years
    Noxxic is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    icyveins is wrong like 60% of the time in my experience.
    That's because Icy Veins is only updated at the start of a major patch. If a class gets any changes between two patches, it's out of date.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Atoczix View Post
    Hi i'm a returning player, my friend recommended icyveins to me but i don't know about it, it kept saying 'strongly recommended' things such as addons and how it 'highly recommends' them to me but i don't like them it makes my ui look all cluttered there is stuff every where and i can't see any thing. I got this ui addon too it changed every thing and says top players use them they are highly recommended but i see on Twitch nobody using such addons.

I am a ret pala if that helps
    Icyveins is fine for learning a new spec or class. It's written by pretty well-known players with logs and experience to back their opinions. But sometimes you'll also find that after trying out suggested builds different talents just play better for you/how you play/think. (That doesn't mean it's optimal overall, just what works best for you at the moment.)

As for addons, it's really personal preference. Those addon recommendations are based on how they play--and sometimes how really cutting-edge players play. If you don't really push cutting edge content, much of that stuff is probably superfluous--although as you play and get more familiar with your class quirks, you may find yourself trying them out. I have a friend that heals 15+ mythic dungeons and heroic raids, she's pretty much always top heals, and she uses like, nothing. I don't think she even has recount on usually.

Some kind of DPS meter is probably a given (and it should probably just be in the game by this point). DBM is helpful if you don't know fights yet, or if you're on after a long day at work and barely paying attention and/or drunk.

That said, sometimes the default UI doesn't communicate what you need to know in certain situations. For instance, there's many cases where you need to watch out for a proc that has no visuals on your character or UI elements besides a tiny square next to your mini-map. And then when you get lots of other class/spec passives and procs from trinkets and enchantments and stuff, it can be pretty annoying trying to sift through 12+ icons the size of your pinky nail to optimize one attack during a raid encounter when you also need to watch the ground around you and boss/add abilities and mechanics. For this reason, I find I end up using weakauras more than I used to.

It's a great site for learning the basics of what to do with a class/spec. When stepping into higher end content it begins to falter for certain specs. It's a good site, but you should be aware it's not always optimal for every spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    IcyVeins guides got me through Heroic raiding. So it's not bad for the majority of the database.

For Mythic you may need more detailed resources, but it'll work for most people.
    This.

icy veins is great for people that are altoholics as well. Elitist jerks and such have been removed as far as i know.

There's a Ret Paladin website for all Ret knowledge. Stay away from Icyveins and stick to the discords.

With class specific websites as well as class discords being a thing I can't imagine why anyone would bother with IV/Wowhead class guides.

Stuff like LOSS and Silver Hand makes these other sites a waste of time because especially in the case of Icy Veins a bunch of the guides aren't even written by actual class theorycrafters.

Just as everyone else said, it's a good place to start, but do deeper research if you really want keep up with all the current info and master your class. I was trying to help a fellow DH guildmate and he just kept saing "But Icy Veins". I finally looked up the DH guide on Icy Veins. Here it hadn't been updated in months, and was written by someone who doesn't even main a DH, in a guild that didn't even have a DH on their raid team. I steered him towards Wowhead(which is much better for beginners) and Disc since he didn't want to listen to me, even though my performance should have told him I was on to something. Some people just need written confirmation I guess and that's why Icy Veins is turrible. We also had a lot of problems with our Ret Pallies because of Icy Veins.

Hi i'm a returning player, my friend recommended icyveins to me but i don't know about it, it kept saying 'strongly recommended' things such as addons and how it 'highly recommends' them to me but i don't like them it makes my ui look all cluttered there is stuff every where and i can't see any thing. I got this ui addon too it changed every thing and says top players use them they are highly recommended but i see on Twitch nobody using such addons.

Honestly stay away from icyveins in general. Sometimes their guides are good, but often they're outdated and terrible. You don't need any addons if you don't want any, I know quite a few people who achieve top 100 world with very minimal if any changes to their UI. The big one generally is weakauras, but unless you're intending on mythic raiding, it's not a serious deal to have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

No "dad's build" on balance druid is criminal. As both noob and mythics argus raiders alike could take good use of that. When argus decided to turn around to flash his dick to show off his "rage", the raid that was already smelling his ass must immediately move to avoid the even worse smell of his dick, starfall + ASP build allows you to slide around his crotch easily while maintain good sustain dps, especially when the smell becomes so bad that you have to move away to throw up shit yourself.
    Last edited by gobio; 2018-06-17 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alright View Post
    Noxxic is fine.
    Umm no. Always been shit and always will be.

It's very inequal, some guides are more than ok, some are really lacking because they don't hire enough people so a lot of guides are written by people who just played the classes for a few hours on early/irrelevant content (Sorry Furty i like you but some of your guides are just not accurate at all)

In this day and age its not really needed especially if you are a casual>Heroic raider.

Talents are now situational that can be changed and without reforge you just have to make do with what gear you get.

If you are striving to be a mythic raider then you dont need sites like icyviens cause you should already know your shit.

Blizz has taken great strides to put websites like icyviens out of business by simplify WoW stats so much and talents where you wont take a dps hit if you dont take the right talent or take a hit that it will affect your performance too greatly.

Noxxic is grossly inaccurate very often with completely wrong rotations and talent builds and stat priorities. I would never recommend that site to anyone, not even as a first glance for a new player. They are dangerously wrong. Every time I've checked this expansion their information would easily lose you hundreds of thousands of DPS in comparison to correct builds.

I'm just using it because I need to play every spec for mage tower skin. I don't have time to put efforts in reading every talents / spells / passives for 30+ specs that I never play just for a skin, so I always take the recommanded icy veins talents when I do mage tower.

If you are bothered by the advice to install addons, ignore it. You can play perfectly well without addons, the stock UI has matured to cover 99% of what addons provide.

In general, I am only using Icy-veins when I start a new spec or return to a spec that I didn't play for more than an expansion. I find their quick starts useful but everything else lacking and sometimes outdated.

Most people say Icyveins or Noxxic is not good and go to the class discord. People won't tell you where the class discord is so you'll need to figure that out for yourself. If you DO find the class discord and login, most of the answers to your questions will be "Sim yourself".
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernalDark View Post
    Umm no. Always been shit and always will be.
    That's where you're wrong. If you tend to follow popular opinion without researching such data to begin with, you are often left with false impressions on things in life.

IV is an okay starting point, but you'll find better info in the class discords(which I think are linked in the IV guides)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Most people say Icyveins or Noxxic is not good and go to the class discord. People won't tell you where the class discord is so you'll need to figure that out for yourself. If you DO find the class discord and login, most of the answers to your questions will be "Sim yourself".
    Yes, they'll be "sim yourself" or "read the pins/resources", because that's what you should do in 100% of cases before asking questions(and you just asked a question which is answered by one of those things, otherwise you wouldn't be told to read them). Class discords aren't your personal helpdesk.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU