10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You can't take a non Bethesda product and credit it's merits to Bethesda. That's intellectually dishonest. Which was probably the intent considering your overly aggressive response as I had not commented on general quality of Bethesda products in the first place.
    I was referencing the history of Fallout content and how it was presented. The particular studio that was in charge at the time had fuck-all to do with the point being made.

Deleted

Sold out in 13 hours apparently. $200 is a bit too rich for my taste but looks fun nonetheless.

Some of the other models are shown there too, the accurately sized weapons that are for sale now; plasma rifle, super sledge, those kind of things.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-18 at 12:08 PM.

Deleted
    @Endus

Old World Blues was a amazing DLC, no human NPCs indeed. However, it was but a single DLC, the main game and other DLCs were filled with human NPCs. Of course, FO76 can still have amazing lore and stories if done properly, with not a single human NPC involved. I guess we shall see how it all turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    @Endus

Old World Blues was a amazing DLC, no human NPCs indeed. However, it was but a single DLC, the main game and other DLCs were filled with human NPCs. Of course, FO76 can still have amazing lore and stories if done properly, with not a single human NPC involved. I guess we shall see how it all turns out.
    I love Point Lookout a lot and i think it had 1 settlement of like 8 hippies, only 1 with a quest and a ghoul in a house. the rest of it was mutants, hillbilly mutants and crazies around a foggy coastal boardwalk gone to ruin and i loved it. Looking back on the whole most of the best moments in fallout are when you are alone exploring some enviromental storytelling, to say nothing of the always boring main stories bethesda makes that get worse with each game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I love Point Lookout a lot and i think it had 1 settlement of like 8 hippies, only 1 with a quest and a ghoul in a house. the rest of it was mutants, hillbilly mutants and crazies around a foggy coastal boardwalk gone to ruin and i loved it. Looking back on the whole most of the best moments in fallout are when you are alone exploring some enviromental storytelling, to say nothing of the always boring main stories bethesda makes that get worse with each game.
    Dead Money DLC had very few NPCs in general, yet it is rightfully regarded as a masterpiece by Fallout fanbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    And all the above is what I was getting at: my favorite parts of Fallout is the stuff you run across randomly, not the "I need a glorplesnark, fetch one from the Factory Location and return" NPC questing. Which always felt more like a breadcrumb to direct you to said location, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I was referencing the history of Fallout content and how it was presented. The particular studio that was in charge at the time had fuck-all to do with the point being made.
    It does, because being able to make such a concept work relies on your writers being good. Bethesda's writers aren't good and don't much care about lore and continuity if it gets in the way of their ideas (200 years old ghoul kind in the fridge anyone? I remember the response to that being ''not going to bother explaining in a world with mutants and laser guns''). The only time they've done a quest involving robots that was decent was the robot Vault in Far Harbor, but then again Far Harbor was such a cut above their usual fare that I'm wondering if they didn't switch writers for it. I had hoped Nuke-World would continue the trend, sadly it only devolved into more theme park writing and world design, this time literally.

Besides, Todd said that you won't find the kind of deep stories one finds in other Fallout games. Straight from the horse's mouth and quoted several times. I expect these robots to toss Radiant quests at us the majority of the time. Hope ya'll like defending robot settlements from attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    It does, because being able to make such a concept work relies on your writers being good. Bethesda's writers aren't good and don't much care about lore and continuity if it gets in the way of their ideas (200 years old ghoul kind in the fridge anyone? I remember the response to that being ''not going to bother explaining in a world with mutants and laser guns''). The only time they've done a quest involving robots that was decent was the robot Vault in Far Harbor, but then again Far Harbor was such a cut above their usual fare that I'm wondering if they didn't switch writers for it. I had hoped Nuke-World would continue the trend, sadly it only devolved into more theme park writing and world design, this time literally.
    This is all subjective, where it isn't just wrong (nothing they've done in their games has broken lore or continuity, not even the example you cited). If you don't like Bethesda games, just don't play 'em. Why sit here bitching about them? How is this a good use of your time?

I hate League of Legends, but you don't see me hitting up LoL threads or forums to talk about how bad Riot Games is. I just don't waste my time, and go do stuff I like.

Besides, Todd said that you won't find the kind of deep stories one finds in other Fallout games. Straight from the horse's mouth and quoted several times. I expect these robots to toss Radiant quests at us the majority of the time. Hope ya'll like defending robot settlements from attacks.
    Literally did not say that, as explained several times, every time he gets quoted out of context and the wording misinterpreted.

He said there wouldn't be large amounts of NPC dialogue-driven questing. That's it.

By comparison, consider the Cambridge Polymer Labs quest in Fallout 4. One NPC, a robot, who's basically irrelevant to the quest other than locking you into it. The rest you get by exploring. And the "good" solution is one you have to figure out from context and terminals and exploration. I'm expecting stuff like that, which I prefer over the "go to location X and interact with item Y" NPC questing, since something like 80% of the NPC-based quests in these games boil down to that mechanic; what makes them interesting to me is the "location X", not the quest that drove you there.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-06-18 at 02:35 PM.

This is all subjective, where it isn't just wrong (nothing they've done in their games has broken lore or continuity, not even the example you cited). If you don't like Bethesda games, just don't play 'em. Why sit here bitching about them? How is this a good use of your time?

I hate League of Legends, but you don't see me hitting up LoL threads or forums to talk about how bad Riot Games is. I just don't waste my time, and go do stuff I like.

Literally did not say that, as explained several times, every time he gets quoted out of context and the wording misinterpreted.
    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were the forum police and nobody but the people who love Bethesda are allowed to post in a thread about Fallout. I'll express my concerns about Fallout 76 in the thread titled Fallout 76, thank you very much.

I'm here precisely because I like Fallout, but I don't like what Bethesda is doing with Fallout. Legally it is their IP, but that doesn't mean they are using it well at all. Since the official Bethesda forums are absolutely filled with borderline sycophants and reddit is, well, reddit I post here instead, not like it makes much of a difference.

And yes, that absolutely broke canon. Ghouls cannot survive without sustenance, and being stuck in a fridge for 200 years is not sustenance. There's a reason they didn't bother explaining it, because there is no explanation. Among all the other myriads of things that make no sense like more raiders than targets or more Super Mutants that could ever conceivably be produced in the Institute's lab, or whatever the state of the X-01 Power Armor is after all the retcons surrounding it or...

Anyway, you'll have your opinions, I'll have mine, I don't attack yours so kindly don't go for the throat every time anyone posts something even mildly critical of how Bethesda handles this franchise.

Deleted
    And all the above is what I was getting at: my favorite parts of Fallout is the stuff you run across randomly, not the "I need a glorplesnark, fetch one from the Factory Location and return" NPC questing. Which always felt more like a breadcrumb to direct you to said location, anyway.
    Agreed.

The timeline is also quite interesting, we could get a glimpse of how things went down in the relatively short time period after the bombs fell. How those who survived initial blasts responded to their world dying? By all information we have thus far, various areas across America responded by different means in the beginning, but it all went to hell quite fast. Logs and physical evidence in Boston and DC suggest that the military attempted to prolong the martial law as long as possible, but eventually collapsed as soldiers deserted and were killed on all sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were the forum police and nobody but the people who love Bethesda are allowed to post in a thread about Fallout. I'll express my concerns about Fallout 76 in the thread titled Fallout 76, thank you very much.

I'm here precisely because I like Fallout, but I don't like what Bethesda is doing with Fallout. Legally it is their IP, but that doesn't mean they are using it well at all. Since the official Bethesda forums are absolutely filled with borderline sycophants and reddit is, well, reddit I post here instead, not like it makes much of a difference.

And yes, that absolutely broke canon. Ghouls cannot survive without sustenance, and being stuck in a fridge for 200 years is not sustenance.
    Got a canon source for that? Because we sure see a lot of ferals in locations where there's nothing like any food, acting like dead bodies until you show up.

Among all the other myriads of things that make no sense like more raiders than targets or more Super Mutants that could ever conceivably be produced in the Institute's lab, or whatever the state of the X-01 Power Armor is after all the retcons surrounding it or...
    Oh, I see, the problem is you don't actually know the lore.

Super mutants have at least two origin points, from locations related to the original pre-war FEV program. Mariposa Military Base on the West Coast, and Vault 87 on the East Coast. The Institute's FEV lab was a relatively recent thing, and not an origin point for super mutants at all; they were studying the FEV and trying to reverse-engineer it. I don't know of any lore connecting the Commonwealth's Super Mutant population to the Institute, and releasing them on the Commonwealth would largely violate Institute values, to boot.

Oh, and I say "at least two" because nothing in the lore thus far states there were ONLY two, so a third origin point being revealed won't break any lore or continuity.

The X-01 power armor was a pre-war design. That's really just not complicated at all.

Anyway, you'll have your opinions, I'll have mine, I don't attack yours so kindly don't go for the throat every time anyone posts something even mildly critical of how Bethesda handles this franchise.
    You keep raising issues that are either standard design for the series, or which don't have any basis in what's been announced. That is why I keep contradicting those points. Because I'd prefer to stick to what we know, not the imaginings of someone who's decided they want the game to be bad for some reason pre-emptively.

I find it irksome because these games are probably my favorite IP in the gaming universe, and we saw the exact same kind of complaints about basically every prior game, with just as little merit to them then as now.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-06-18 at 02:53 PM.

Got a canon source for that? Because we sure see a lot of ferals in locations where there's nothing like any food, acting like dead bodies until you show up.

Oh, I see, the problem is you don't actually know the lore.

Super mutants have at least two origin points, from locations related to the original pre-war FEV program. Mariposa Military Base on the West Coast, and Vault 87 on the East Coast. The Institute's FEV lab was a relatively recent thing, and not an origin point for super mutants at all; they were studying the FEV and trying to reverse-engineer it. I don't know of any lore connecting the Commonwealth's Super Mutant population to the Institute, and releasing them on the Commonwealth would largely violate Institute values, to boot.

Oh, and I say "at least two" because nothing in the lore thus far states there were ONLY two, so a third origin point being revealed won't break any lore or continuity.

The X-01 power armor was a pre-war design. That's really just not complicated at all.

You keep raising issues that are either standard design for the series, or which don't have any basis in what's been announced. That is why I keep contradicting those points. Because I'd prefer to stick to what we know, not the imaginings of someone who's decided they want the game to be bad for some reason pre-emptively.

I find it irksome because these games are probably my favorite IP in the gaming universe, and we saw the exact same kind of complaints about basically every prior game, with just as little merit to them then as now.
    Now that's rich. One second I don't know my lore, the next you say that Muties in the Commonwealth have no connection to the Institute when... oh shiz, they actually created all of them.. And released all of them. Somehow. For some reason. Creating entire hordes of the things within years in their tiny lab with 3 vats. Because the Institute are goddamn stupid and they're easily one of the worst pieces of writing in FO4 and a giant disappointment to me.

That's the entire reason why Virgil left in the first place. I'm kinda shocked you didn't know this as you seem to love FO4.

And the X-01 is the Advanced Power Armor from Fallout 2, a carbon copy in fact, and to Bethesda's eternal credit it looks extremely good in FO4 and I'm happy it is there. But originally, it was a post-war Enclave design made many years after the Great War. Having it a pre-war is a pure retcon on top of another retcon, because in old lore the T-51b was the pinnacle of pre-war PA design, now it's the T-60, wait now it's the X-01.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that's rich. One second I don't know my lore, the next you say that Muties in the Commonwealth have no connection to the Institute when... oh shiz, they actually created all of them.. And released all of them. Somehow. For some reason. Creating entire hordes of the things within years in their tiny lab with 3 vats. Because the Institute are goddamn stupid and they're easily one of the worst pieces of writing in FO4 and a giant disappointment to me.

That's the entire reason why Virgil left in the first place. I'm kinda shocked you didn't know this as you seem to love FO4.
    It's a little unclear in the lore, I think the Wiki is overselling it. Regardless, it still doesn't constitute a change in continuity or lore, it's just an introduction of an additional source, when they never claimed otherwise.

But there's really no reason to think the Institute only had three vats. You only SEE three vats, in the section you wander through. Why you assume that's all there is, I don't know.

And the X-01 is the Advanced Power Armor from Fallout 2, a carbon copy in fact, and to Bethesda's eternal credit it looks extremely good in FO4 and I'm happy it is there. But originally, it was a post-war Enclave design made many years after the Great War. Having it a pre-war is a pure retcon on top of another retcon, because in old lore the T-51b was the pinnacle of pre-war PA design, now it's the T-60, wait now it's the X-01.
    The simple answer is that the X-01 is the platform on which the Enclave's power armor projects were built up from. There's some visual similarity, but no direct "this is the same thing" connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm confused - we have to play with other people? This isn't an MMO but it is? It's like a "clash of clans" thing where I risk being attacked offline and losing my progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I guess I'm confused - we have to play with other people? This isn't an MMO but it is? It's like a "clash of clans" thing where I risk being attacked offline and losing my progress?
    It's a bit unclear. They say you can play solo, by which I assume they mean you can make a private server and decide not to invite anyone. It's not an MMO and more like an online survival game like Rust. But they have said that you cannot be attacked while offline, your character and your stuff just vanish when you're gone.

yeah its no loss pvp, softcore.

personally i'm stoked this game is getting a co-op element and i'm hopeful that the low incentive pvp will allow more of a friendlier environment than rust.
    while their wanted system hopefully works like a karma system, ppl who kill simply end up being killed themselves.

I'd rather this was more of a co-op pve focused game than just a run around mowing everyone down for their stuff game. lots of potential for role play. have to see what beta is like to get a better idea of how things play out.

i'd imagine its perfectly possible to play solo, but there are no doubt going to be challenges aimed at groups. again depends on the scaling something only the beta is going to really shine a light on. apparently it just matches you with 23-31 other ppl what shard you end up on is random I guess every time you play, but if you have friends you can just jump into their shards.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2018-06-18 at 04:47 PM.

It's a bit unclear. They say you can play solo, by which I assume they mean you can make a private server and decide not to invite anyone. It's not an MMO and more like an online survival game like Rust. But they have said that you cannot be attacked while offline, your character and your stuff just vanish when you're gone.
    Have they mentioned private servers?

I can see them not allowing that at all, and I can see the shitstorm that such a decision would cause.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

I can see them not allowing that at all, and I can see the shitstorm that such a decision would cause.
    By that I mean making your own server/game within the game, which I believe they said you could to avoid multiplayer. I may be wrong however.

bleh they said they would have private worlds and modding sometime after release. not at release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The closest analogy I can think of is that it'll be kind of like leveling a character in a low-population PvP server in an MMO. You might see another person now and then, but they might not be aggro in the first place. Someone did the math, and they're talking about 24-32 players per map; at 32 players, if you've played Fallout 4 DLC, that's 1-2 players per section of the map the size of Far Harbour. You won't be tripping over each other constantly, and you'll be most likely to see others (I imagine) at regional events.

When you're offline, your base is offline too and doesn't exist, so it can't get attacked. Even if your base DOES get attacked, it's a matter of running around clicking "repair" on everything and you're back up and running; you can't ever lose stuff permanently.

And while I said "like an MMO pvp server", they've also said they're aggressively preventing griefing; you should be able to just say "nah" and run away from a guy who's bothering you. Like you could if it were a Legendary Deathclaw.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post

They've said they'll have private worlds, but not at launch. Same for modding. The two will likely come together, since that's the easy way to prevent mod conflicts; can't join a world if you don't have the same mods as the owner, kind of thing.