Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Does jealousy have value in driving humans to improve themselves or....

Philosophical question:
    Does jealousy have value in driving humans to improve themselves or is it a purely negative emotion?

My opinion:

IMO jealousy is a pure negative emotion.
    Because it drives people to do something for the wrong reasons.
    Once you achieve your goal, drived by pure jealousy, you will fall to a egotistical pit. Maybe you will be happy but you will be for the wrong reasons.

The only situation i can think of where jealousy can be "healthy" is when you are jealous of people with a "good body". This may make you want to work out.
    Society programs you to be jealous of people with good bodies, its only natural if you feel this.
    But again, once you are "skinny" your ego will explode because what drived you to have a good body was jealousy.
    You will feel superior to everyone else.

What do you guys think?

Anything can drive someone to self improvement, depending how they shape it. If envy can, I don't see why jealously couldn't as well. It's how you use/learn from it.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Anything can drive someone to self improvement, depending how they shape it. If envy can, I don't see why jealously couldn't as well. It's how you use/learn from it.
    You dont think its a problem the thing that is "driving you" is a bad emotion? The wrong reason?
    I think its very dangerous

On rare moments some good can come from negative feelings.
    But I've always found it far wiser to check my ego at the door as it were.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not really sure @OP but I did read this interesting article a while back that basically states: If a guy is suspecting his wife of cheating or he's being otherwise cucked in some way, the guy produces extra fighter sperm to ensure pregnancy. Evolution?? IDK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-CHEATING.html

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    From what I've seen, most of the current state of jealousy is those envious of things they're too lazy to work towards. Therefore, instead of self-reflection, they decide to just tear it all down. This is the state of the modern liberal.
    Claims without facts. This is the state of the modern conservative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pathetic that someone turned this thread political.

OT: It's generally a negative thing and can lead to very bad things. This is...well common in well relationships. I can't say I felt that during High School but I've had the feeling but I usually try to reject it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Claims without facts. This is the state of the modern conservative.
    lmfao!

10 chars

15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely it can be positive. If, like you say, it drives people to improve themselves or work towards their goals, that's great.

I think it's nonsense or say that such cases are bad because it's for the "wrong reasons". There's no moral virtue in avoiding self improvement.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Philosophical question:
    Does jealousy have value in driving humans to improve themselves or is it a purely negative emotion?

My opinion:

IMO jealousy is a pure negative emotion.
    Because it drives people to do something for the wrong reasons.
    Once you achieve your goal, drived by pure jealousy, you will fall to a egotistical pit. Maybe you will be happy but you will be for the wrong reasons.

The only situation i can think of where jealousy can be "healthy" is when you are jealous of people with a "good body". This may make you want to work out.
    Society programs you to be jealous of people with good bodies, its only natural if you feel this.
    But again, once you are "skinny" your ego will explode because what drived you to have a good body was jealousy.
    You will feel superior to everyone else.

What do you guys think?
    Mostly negative effects. Your example of the "good body", would be a exception.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I think jealousy can produce something good, but probably not.

I personally use jealously and other negative emotions as big motivators. I see my old friends having done so many meaningful things with their lives and I compare it to my own worthless, pathetic existence. It encourages me to stop being so worthless.

But too much jealousy and such can drive people literally insane.

It mostly depends on what kind of person you are, I think.

"self-improvement" is subject to interpretation.

10+ Year Old Account
    When people want to arm themselves and join groups to come kill and take what it is they are getting fucked out of, ans you have a bunch of victims and citizens complaining about WHY?

I would think the answer to this is. NO
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't think jealousy is necessarily negative, but then again I'm not jealous of other people very often. Jealousy reveals to us needs/wants that aren't being met. When someone else has something I desire, I know I am more than capable of going out and getting it.

Oftentimes though just thinking about what you want makes you realize that you don't want x thing after all. I don't think it's laziness per se, more about opportunity cost, deciding what's most important for you. Sometimes getting x thing isn't worth the time, energy, personal sacrifices necessary in order to achieve it, because you have to give up other things that you highly value.

I think jealousy strikes people most often when they only see one side of a person's life, aka their public persona. Everyone has struggles, too bad we aren't generally more open in our culture because it's very dishonest to go around pretending our lives are all so wonderful all of the time. It also makes your accomplishments seem more meaningful, when people know what you had to go through to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Mostly negative effects. Your example of the "good body", would be a exception.
    Even then, maybe the jealousy that gets you to work out to impress a love interest is the same jealousy that leads you stalk them when they're still not interested, for example.

Then you drive around the town until the cops chase you around, hey, jealousy can definitely be destructive.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "self-improvement" is subject to interpretation.
    It is also important to the one's perception.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Even then, maybe the jealousy that gets you to work out to impress a love interest is the same jealousy that leads you stalk them when they're still not interested, for example.

Then you drive around the town until the cops chase you around, hey, jealousy can definitely be destructive.
    Good one. The reason behind wanting to work out for a better body would be important.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Its really the difference between jealousy and aspiration.

And they are different words for a reason.

Correct, jealousy is a purely negative emotion, by definition. But to aspire to be more like someone or to have the same things, is a very similar feeling but without the negative meanings and roots.

Now different people will feel these in different ways so it really comes down to the individual, but that's the simple explanation.
    When I went up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today. I wish I wish he'd go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    Whale Shark is the devourer of the slow moving and inattentive. This includes plankton, whales, and AFK players.

Whale Shark swims where and how it pleases. Whale Shark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good one.
    I hope you're referring to my sweet reference.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not the only motivator, but it certainly is a powerful motivator - maybe more powerful than others.

So I'd say yes it does have value. Depending on the situation and its intended outcome, jealously maybe a good thing for that specific instance/situation.