Have they said anything about how monster difficulty will scale w/ number of players? If they don't make the monster stronger and more numerous when ur in a party the game is going to become to boring.

And will there be different difficulty settings?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    So have they said anything about fast travel?
    I'm guessing it'll be the same as before. Can't use with enemies nearby and such.

Getting rid of fast travel with such a massive map or mods to fix it would kill this game off.

kinda hope there is no fast travel personally, seems like it would just be too easy to zip around the map killing ppl. i'm ok with forced pacing in an online game. in the same way i'm ok with no slow mo vats and no inventory pausing. imagine what dayz would be like if you could fast travel, ha rip. hell if it does exist it should have a cooldown.

teleporting in an online game is just a no no for me.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2018-06-20 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Well there's about a dozen or so people playing on a map 4 times the size of Fallout 4.

I hope you bring some decent reading material for that brush.
    Didn't they say players showed up on the map?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Didn't they say players showed up on the map?
    Yes and no.

If you're sneaking, you don't show up (I assume that changes if you start shooting, even if you're crouched).

But even so, the idea that you're going to lie in the bush and snipe people is silly, given how massive the map is for the number of players. You could easily go hours and never see a single player.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes and no.

If you're sneaking, you don't show up (I assume that changes if you start shooting, even if you're crouched).

But even so, the idea that you're going to lie in the bush and snipe people is silly, given how massive the map is for the number of players. You could easily go hours and never see a single player.
    That's like hunting IRL. People are really into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    That's like hunting IRL. People are really into it.
    Precisely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    Precisely.
    Yep, and the fundamental problem with hunting is that it's only fun for the hunter.....
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Yep, and the fundamental problem with hunting is that it's only fun for the hunter.....
    The whole concept: 4 times the size of FO4 map, not many players (prey), quietly waiting for hours if need be, this game will certainly attract people who are fond of hunting IRL or hunting simulators.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole concept: 4 times the size of FO4 map, not many players (prey), quietly waiting for hours if need be, this game will certainly attract people who are fond of hunting IRL or hunting simulators.
    How Bethesda deals with griefing/abuse or whatever is going to be very interesting....or FO76 is going to not do well as we hope.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    How Bethesda deals with griefing/abuse or whatever is going to be very interesting....or FO76 is going to not do well as we hope.
    If a person patiently waits for player(prey) for 2 hours to shoot, I doubt Beth will find any reason or way to prevent grief.

They could probably make the bounty system also display a players location at all times once it gets high enough.

Yes and no.

Right; *you're* sneaking, so you don't show up. Unless everyone one the server is sneaking, the hunter has targets that show up on the map to at least get them in the right area.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Comments by Todd and Hines have been pretty obvious that they're aware of the issue, and are designing for it. Todd kept going "eehhhhhhhhh" over the issue of PvP, and I think they're trying to find the sweet spot, between actual danger in the game from other players, and stopping the GTA5/Minecraft kind of griefing.

I would be a little concerned if being hunted were fun for people...

I can't recall which interview it was, but I'm certain Hines mentioned that you can build cooperatively. Whether you can overlap and build a big co-op base or it's just that you can drop your C.A.M.P.s right next to each other, we still don't know.

The way they've phrased it is that there aren't "servers" in the classic sense, at all. If you see your buddy on your friends list, you can join their worldspace, grouped or not. If you're already grouped, I assume it'll pull you into the same worldspace.

It's not like you have to pick "West Viriginia 32" to all be in the same space. You just enter the game and it plugs you in somewhere you'll fit, if you don't tell it to put you with a buddy.

It SHOULD feel seamless, since all progress is tied to your character and unless someone's CAMP was exactly where yours was, being pulled into a different worldspace shouldn't really be noticeable, if there is no loading screen (and if there is, you shouldn't really notice much difference, other than the player names present).
    I get the sense that the servers will create a personal shard for each character - your progress is stored in the shard, with overlap with other players when grouping. What I'm wondering how they'll handle is if say you're playing, and your shard is on a map where a town isn't nuked, and your friends log on, and invite you to a map where that town is nuked, and your shard is merged with that map. So the town around you morphs into the nuked one? Or are certain areas blocked from this - like, if you join your friends, it has to be done in certain spots on the map that can't be nuked/changed, like sanctuaries.

Gonna be interesting to see what they have. I dislike pre-ordering games, I like to see how they actually play before I buy, so I won't be in the beta, but I'll be watching closely.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be a little concerned if being hunted were fun for people...
    It's actually a blast. I played a rogue in WoW, and I PvP'ed a lot - my personal feeling was, if half the map wasn't hunting me down at any given time, I was playing a rogue incorrectly. I griefed and sapped and stealthed my leather clad butt off - Blizzard gave me these tools, don't blame me for using them. Using psychology of "Rogue at the flag!" is a blast to exploit, and create instability for the other team and distract them - players would lose their minds if a rogue is spotted, especially if a player is guarding a flag alone - I once chain sapped a poor guy at the farm in Arathi for over 10 minutes, and had the entire side come after me eventually, so I led them all over the map.

I mean, is it any different, if NPCs are hunting you, or another player? Threat is threat - and it adds to immersion. Especially in fallout, where you're under threat the second you leave the vault.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    It's actually a blast. I played a rogue in WoW, and I PvP'ed a lot - my personal feeling was, if half the map wasn't hunting me down at any given time, I was playing a rogue incorrectly. I griefed and sapped and stealthed my leather clad butt off - Blizzard gave me these tools, don't blame me for using them. Using psychology of "Rogue at the flag!" is a blast to exploit, and create instability for the other team and distract them - players would lose their minds if a rogue is spotted, especially if a player is guarding a flag alone - I once chain sapped a poor guy at the farm in Arathi for over 10 minutes, and had the entire side come after me eventually, so I led them all over the map.

I mean, is it any different, if NPCs are hunting you, or another player? Threat is threat - and it adds to immersion. Especially in fallout, where you're under threat the second you leave the vault.
    You are still very clearly the hunter in this scenario. Hidden and able to choose when you engage while preying upon those wishing to avoid the encounter entirely.

Being hunted would be more along the line of having no warning there is danger and it being largely too late to fight back once danger presents itself.

Deleted
    You are still very clearly the hunter in this scenario. Hidden and able to choose when you engage while preying upon those wishing to avoid the encounter entirely.

Being hunted would be more along the line of having no warning there is danger and it being largely too late to fight back once danger presents itself.
    Historically speaking, the line between hunting and being hunted can get very thin. A good hunter knows he/she is being hunted and knows how to best evade the hunt.

Historically speaking, the line between hunting and being hunted can get very thin. A good hunter knows he/she is being hunted and knows how to best evade the hunt.
    The hunter goes to where the prey is and the prey chasing the hunter away has not suddenly turned the tables in any way, as the hunter is fully capable of getting away and there is no telling when they will return. Prey is wary of the hunter, as evidenced by PVP players being on the lookout for rogues, but there are more tools at the disposal of the rogue to hide and get away than there is for a common group of PVP players to find and chase them (and if it is a coordinated group of PVPers then they are fools for wasting their time on one rogue instead of securing victory).

Special rules need to be made up like arenas for a rogue to feel any pressure of being found. Special rules will be necessary in Fallout 76 to allow players to retaliate against campers.

Or they will just deincentivize it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    I get the sense that the servers will create a personal shard for each character
    Well, I don't think there's any need for a "shard". The C.A.M.P. progress is saved with your character, and doesn't care about the world it's in, other than it can't exist with another C.A.M.P. in the same spot, so then it'll plop out and become a device. From what they've been saying, there's no permanence in the world; when you leave, you don't leave any changes behind in the sense that they'd be there when you log back in. If you nuke spot X and then log out, when you log back in, you'll probably be in a completely different instance of the game and that spot X won't be nuked.

Instances in WoW are the best way of thinking about this, except people can be in there without being grouped. An instance of the game is created, like any instance in WoW, and then up to like 32 people are allocated into that instance. Then they play there for as long as they feel like it, and when they leave and come back into the game hours later, they'll most likely be placed in a completely different instance. Also, I'm assuming you can just do a relog and get a completely new instance so you can switch the people you're playing with if some of them are douchebags.

Or, think about like, Overwatch quick play. You join a quick play, with players A B and C in it. You realize you don't want to play with them, so you leave the game, queue up for another quick play, and get players D E and F this time.