Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    if by interesting you mean stupid opinion piece that makes no sense and says that red states are richer than blue ones despite the fact they take up more federal dollars and many states by per capita have more people who are poor.
    Its saying that citizens of red states continue to vote republican because they have a larger disposable income. As a fellow member of NJ I think you can understand the concept of making six figures and still living in an apartment because a home would take 50%+of your income.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's look at other states then, Texas for example. Austin has a similar homeless community off Seventh Street. Houston has several small pockets of such communities in its downtown area, off San Jacinto street for example.
    Last edited by Clone; 2018-07-02 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Funny how the religious states seem to ignore that part in the Bible about Jesus' commandments to help the poor.
    Jesus preached about you should help the poor, not raise awareness about the poor or protest to change govt policy towards the poor. Maybe I'll see you at the next Habitat for Humanity house raising or at the local soup kitchen peeling potatoes, no you will be on here pounding out your post count...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Wow I just read that entire piece and it was some fantastic bullshit. Like imagine your job was to try and convince someone that oranges were actually blue, and that's what this guy just did. His argument is basically that because you can buy more for your dollar in a poor state than a rich state, you are actually rich in a poor state. It's like saying Peru is way better than America because an American dollar goes farther there rofl. It's fucking absurd.

It is more like guilding the lily but there is at least some truth to it. Take wisconsin I don't make a huge amount of money but I was able to buy a house that is 3 bedrooms 2.5 bath and my mortgage is 540 a month. If you doubled my wage but I had to live out in california it is doubtful my quality of live would be anywhere near what I am currently being able to maintain. You would probably have to triple it to even come close and where I currently live is a 10 minute drive from where I work. Not spending 2 hours a day in traffic is worth a lot to me as well quality of life wise. One of the things driving the homeless explosion is simply the lower class falling off the wagon. Wages have not been increasing to keep pace with costs on the coasts and housing is becoming rapidly prohibitive cost wise where you get people making high 5 figure low 6 figure incomes that are upper middle class levels of wealth that have to get multiple room mates to even potentially afford something near where they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Proof that conservatives say shitty things about poor people, por favor. If you're talking about the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" line, I don't get how that'd qualify as saying shitty things to poors.
    You mean like assuming people on welfare and foodstamps are on drugs or committing fraud? Conservatives would never do that.

Of course people should pick themselves up by their bootstraps. How much do these bootstraps cost? People might need help getting bootstraps, some rich asshole made them really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Yeah, all those old Hollywood loons sure are the exception /s
    Even if we're talking exclusively about wealthy living in gated communities, yes they actually are. The majority of residents of gated communities in CA are not, in fact, celebrities. That would be a bit of a stretch even if you were just talking about LA, which you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I think hes refering to the fact the California has one of the largest economies in the world and yet it has a huge disparity between wealthy and poor. Seems like democrats cant figure out how to decrease poverty.
    They haven't blamed republicans enough, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    The richest country in the world has the most homeless in the world.
    Wrong, as usual.

Top 10 homeless ratios from worst to best: Guinea, Grenada, Haiti, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Honduras, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, and Pera. Funny, the United States (let alone the state of California) isn't anywhere to be seen in that list.

Top 10 homless ratios of 1st World Countries, same order: Russia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Australia, Sweden, Luxemborg, Austria, France, Netherlands, China, and Greece. Hey, would you look at that, the United States didn't make the cut again.

You do know this thing called "The Internet" exists, and thanks to vaguely-known tools such as this so-called "Google," it's pretty fucking easy to look information up? You do know that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Because Dems are running this states, like any other shithole I guess
    Kansa and poorer red states like Alabama come to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Not when compared to cost of living. Sure they have lower incomes but also lower cost of living.

http://time.com/money/5177566/averag...te-real-value/

Notice that about half of the the highest states are red. While there are few more lowest states that are red, there are also more red states than there are blue (30 vs 21 including DC)
    Than explain red states reliance on obamacare and welfare. They also take more money than they give back.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Not when compared to cost of living. Sure they have lower incomes but also lower cost of living.
    People really underestimate the difference in living costs across the US. Renting a tiny apartment in a decent part of a coastal state city or neighboring suburb can cost you several times what an entire house would elsewhere.

Wow I just read that entire piece and it was some fantastic bullshit. Like imagine your job was to try and convince someone that oranges were actually blue, and that's what this guy just did. His argument is basically that because you can buy more for your dollar in a poor state than a rich state, you are actually rich in a poor state. It's like saying Peru is way better than America because an American dollar goes farther there rofl. It's fucking absurd.
    Yeah, that whole "cost of living" index that people use when moving is bullshit. But you're right, because your narrative feels better?

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Yeah, that whole "cost of living" index that people use when moving is bullshit. But you're right, because your narrative feels better?
    The state themselves are still poor and that was kind of the whole point...
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Mental Illness is usually one of the major causes of homelessness. Due to the utter failure of governments in handling mental institutions in the past and between horrifying testimonies from therein and the media having used them repeatedly as an example of hell on earth, there is no place for some people for whom practically there is little chance of a cure. We just decided they are better off on the streets.
    It is a tough issue that some posters here tend to sum into one sentence “SJW people don’t care.” The reality is far from it. Not other city in the world has tried to provide for its homeless population than San Francisco.

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/sf-...-homelessness/

I’ll summarize some of the points for those too lazy to read through the whole thing. Although that would be a shame. The article and the related articles provide a comprehensive picture of the problem that US cities are facing right now.

Although San Francisco has a higher percentage of chronically homeless people on its streets than comparable cities, it has a far smaller percentage of homeless families.

Since 2016, the city has added 900 shelter beds for individuals and families. The most marked change in the system has been development of Navigation Centers, begun in 2015 and expanded to four complexes since then. The centers offer intensive counseling, housing and employment help. With the ability to bring in belongings, partners and pets, they are popular with homeless people.

Supportive housing — apartments or rooms with counselors on-site to help homeless people overcome their addictions or other dysfunctions — is nationally recognized as the best technique for keeping chronic indigents permanently housed. San Francisco has added 1,500 units since 2016.

The most disheartening manifestation of homelessness is the daily exhibition of mentally ill people screaming at the sky, tearing at themselves and otherwise behaving beyond their own control. The City plans to increase the practice of conservatorship for chronically homeless people who are severely mentally ill — i.e., forcing them into mental health care by court order — and the city has added psychiatric beds to its stock.

I know I've given up on them. I've met like one that wasn't a horrible, useless human.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Kinda gotta agree with him a bit there. I live in Silicon Valley, and there is a huge, huge population who commute for hours every day from the tri-valley or even the central valley here to work. Why? Because Silicon Valley wages plus cheaper rent and other expenses in the still mostly undeveloped is a very good combination. That's why the state is spending billions trying to make a high speed rail coming from the central valley to here. To help faciliate this.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    Than explain red states reliance on obamacare and welfare. They also take more money than they give back.
    This is mostly tied to income distribution. You can have a substantial number of residents living under the national median, above the poverty line but still low enough to qualify for various assistance programs running all the way up to lower middle class, and some sectors which run much higher and skew your result.

To take a very specific example from Alaska to give a clearer picture; my wife's best friend from high school and her husband are both pharmacists. They love everything outdoors and getting away from it all. They moved to Alaska a few years ago. Alaska has no pharmacy school, so pharmacists are always in short supply. They were both able to effectively name their salary when they moved there and are making quite a lot.
    Now obviously it isn't just pharmacists impacting the result, but you get the idea. Average blue collar work makes minimal income, specialized white collar work makes well above average so the median is skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Kinda gotta agree with him a bit there. I live in Silicon Valley, and there is a huge, huge population who commute for hours every day from the tri-valley or even the central valley here to work. Why? Because Silicon Valley wages plus cheaper rent and other expenses in the still mostly undeveloped is a very good combination. That's why the state is spending billions trying to make a high speed rail coming from the central valley to here. To help faciliate this.
    When I lived in the Bay Area there were some people at the company I was at who commuted from Sacramento, over two hours away.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic Steward; 2018-07-02 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Seems like California just lets homeless people take over small areas of land.

This isnt a california issue it is an american capitalism issue but i am sure you arent interested in discussing it from that viewpoint. I am sure you are totally not interested in knowing that places like Owsley county KY, a place donny won with more than 70% margin of victory is pretty much the ultimate shithole of america

Just to point out that homelessness and poverty isnt a california problem and in disguise a democratic party problem as i am sure you would gladly be fast as hell to run towards

They have all that money surplus and none of it goes to housing. Instead the homeless just claim swathes of land and desecrate it with trash, urine and feces. Not to mention rabid drug sales and use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    This isnt a california issue it is an american capitalism issue but i am sure you arent interested in discussing it from that viewpoint. I am sure you are totally not interested in knowing that places like Owsley county KY, a place donny won with more than 70% margin of victory is pretty much the ultimate shithole of america

Just to point out that homelessness and poverty isnt a california problem and in disguise a democratic party problem as i am sure you would gladly be fast as hell to run towards
    It's the poorest county in America with a population of 4500. This thread is about California you can open one about bumblefuck KY if you'd like otherwise stop derailing the thread with nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I think hes refering to the fact the California has one of the largest economies in the world and yet it has a huge disparity between wealthy and poor. Seems like democrats cant figure out how to decrease poverty.
    Sure they know how, try to turn the Federal government democrat and then send all the other states money to their poor.