Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hazzlehoof View Post
    So we wan't vanilla #nochanges but at the same time you don't want battlegroups even though it was a core part of the BG community. Say what now?
    For vast majority of vanilla lifespan there was no battlegroups, they were added in a patch a couple months before TBC. Core vanilla BG experience are a single server battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ksoveras View Post
    For vast majority of vanilla lifespan there was no battlegroups, they were added in a patch a couple months before TBC. Core vanilla BG experience are a single server battlegrounds.
    And for some factions it took over an hour to get into a BG. It was poor design and that is why they fixed those issues. I believe that there should be cross realm BGs but it should only kick in if you have been in queue for given time frame. This give you priority to play against people of your server but at the same time eases queue times for realms with poor balance.

Deleted
    Excuse me for saying this but i don't recall the battlegrounds running on the 1.12.1 patch iteration for the majority of their lifetime either.

Battlegroups were added in 1.12
    Vanilla is gonna run on 1.12.1

You're content with the latter but not the former, so it's technically #mychanges for you?

Even so, you know what happens when certain servers realize they can't win BG's and getting camped at portals? They simply don't queue and you know what that means? Horde/Alliance will patrol all high end zones trying to accumulate enough HK's. Just look at any major private server like Ely/LH

It's a fucking shitshow
    Last edited by mmocf33f0a1109; 2018-07-06 at 10:50 PM.

Core Vanilla experience was waiting hours for queues and only being able to do AV on certain days.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    And for some factions it took over an hour to get into a BG. It was poor design and that is why they fixed those issues. I believe that there should be cross realm BGs but it should only kick in if you have been in queue for given time frame. This give you priority to play against people of your server but at the same time eases queue times for realms with poor balance.
    crazy to think they intend to let bg's be server-only. leveling brackets will simply almost never pop. terrible idea.

now they might set up 'battlegroups' based on data center, or not. I certainly never saw a reason to remove battlegroups, actually. You DID see the same folks if they played frequently in your bracket. as long as the battlegroup has enough servers to keep processing queues in a timely-enough fashion, why the need to go region-wide?

I wouldn't care if it were data-center based or region-wide, personally. if server-only, just means leveling bracket bg's not gonna be easy to get to pop at times.

I know folks get agitated when I say stuff like this, but I will not be in the least bit surprised if you can queue bg's anywhere. by 1.12.1 there are battlemasters in towns. If by classic gaming experience we mean having to hang out in a city to do bg's, where is the value-added there, besides adherence to a magic phrase? What is wrong with being able to queue while in other zones?

queue anywhere also means substantially increased participation in bgs in leveling brackets.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-07 at 02:02 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    What was in Classic will be in Classic. Things that weren't, aren't going to be. Calm yo' trolling ass down and shush.
    We spent about 2 years of NOT having X-Realm BGs. If they want to make this experience authentic, then let us have it by not adding X-Realm BGs until it was actually implemented REALLY late. You can't do it any other way and say it's authentic because it wont be.

I've played since release and the fact that they added x-realm bgs ruined a whole lot for the community as a whole. I'm really saddened by the fact that people visiting Classic won't experience what we did. The rivalry... oh god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignista View Post
    We spent about 2 years of NOT having X-Realm BGs. If they want to make this experience authentic, then let us have it by not adding X-Realm BGs until it was actually implemented REALLY late. You can't do it any other way and say it's authentic because it wont be.

I've played since release and the fact that they added x-realm bgs ruined a whole lot for the community as a whole. I'm really saddened by the fact that people visiting Classic won't experience what we did. The rivalry... oh god.
    this is rough for leveling bracket bg's in off-peak hours - how about a system which prioritizes matching same-server teams (at 60 this is quite possible) but if not uses battlegroups or some other broader pool?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

This is very unlikely to happen. Single realm BGs work well on big servers like a lot of the recent popular private servers but when you add in faction population imbalances, pre-mades and low population servers in general, that approach has huge problems.

I've played since launch as well and it didn't really effect me, but everyone's play style is different. I doubt there will be a huge amount of realms either, so it's either going to go one of a few ways - either cross-realm the lot; cross-realm the realm types or no cross-realm at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    I run into the same players all the time, and I play on a huge server.

You get the community that you build and deserve. Literally nothing was ever present in this game to guarantee making friends, thus such a thing was never removed.
    It can be disheartening to interact with players that can phase out at anytime and likely never seen again, not as much as an empty server, my guild moved to a new server once to avoid lag while raiding and it was eerie to be pretty much alone in the zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    When purists start not wanting things that were in classic, lol.

I knew this day would come. This is amazing.
    Long as they don't add pre patch stuff they should be happy imo.

Was fun one shotting people on my "guardian" druid in the TBC pre patch though.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2018-07-08 at 01:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    By classic servers I mean the new vanilla servers though. Obviously imbalance was always an issue in the past but thats when there was still a lot of servers. There will likely not be that many vanilla servers.
    Even if there was only two servers, you can guarantee that one will end up Horde dominated, and the other Alliance dominated.

It's a simple feedback loop around the path of least resistance, and would only be prevented by having a huge, single server which is simply not feasible given the clear amount of interest in Classic realms.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Reason why we need cross realm : People call vanilla the true MMORPg of all Warcraft expansions. But people here don’t want a Massive Multiplayer online game , no they want a multiplayer rpg. There are other genre for people like this . Let us MMorpg fans our fun and go play a game which fits your needs

In 1.12 there was cross realms Bgs, therefore in Classic you will have those. And that's a good thing.
    Back in the days, I was on a server with a rather small pool of players. Cross realm battlegrounds were clearly a big salvation, relaunching "competitive" PvP, meeting new great players. Hell, you could even arrange with guys from other servers for some fun. Don't get me wrong, always fighting the same fellows, bounding with them, the friendships and the dramas...it really gave an identity to a server. But in my opinion, cross realms just allowed people to do that on a bigger scale.
    Besides, nothing tells us that some servers will have a small amount of players even at the very beginning. Those servers will need cross realms Bgs.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    In 1.12 there was cross realms Bgs, therefore in Classic you will have those. And that's a good thing.
    Back in the days, I was on a server with a rather small pool of players. Cross realm battlegrounds were clearly a big salvation, relaunching "competitive" PvP, meeting new great players. Hell, you could even arrange with guys from other servers for some fun. Don't get me wrong, always fighting the same fellows, bounding with them, the friendships and the dramas...it really gave an identity to a server. But in my opinion, cross realms just allowed people to do that on a bigger scale.
    Besides, nothing tells us that some servers will have a small amount of players even at the very beginning. Those servers will need cross realms Bgs.
    Cross Realm BG's were a godsend back then. As an Aussie that played in Australian times before OCE servers were introduced (played on Draka-US) queuing for WSG or AB or AV was a nightmare. Wasn't so bad when Frostmourne-OCE was opened end of 2005.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    Reason why we need cross realm : People call vanilla the true MMORPg of all Warcraft expansions. But people here don’t want a Massive Multiplayer online game , no they want a multiplayer rpg. There are other genre for people like this . Let us MMorpg fans our fun and go play a game which fits your needs
    By that logic modern WoW is truest MMORPg, because you meet massive amounts of people, in the open World and in instances, but you meet them only once thanks to sharing technology. That's opposite to how Vanilla worked. If people want convenience so desperately that they can't wait in queue for 15 minutes, then they really should stick to retail.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    That's why it didn't.

By the end of WoD, which is when they stopped reporting sub numbers, the amount of active subs was the same as it was at the end of Vanialla. So uh, yeah... stop being special.
    Well, it was lower by a few hundreds of thousands, if we're being precise. And then I remember Blizzard couldn't keep up shipping boxes at least during the first few months since launch, the demand was that high. So honestly, it's hard to compare selling 8 million boxes in 2 years with losing 3 millions of active accounts within 6 months - which could be more, since Blizzard just stopped reporting subs.

That's still not an issue of cross realms, just that back then WoW was new and pretty much ground-breaking, while in 2015 it was already 10 years old and didn't bring anything new with WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Well, it was lower by a few hundreds of thousands, if we're being precise. And then I remember Blizzard couldn't keep up shipping boxes at least during the first few months since launch, the demand was that high. So honestly, it's hard to compare selling 8 million boxes in 2 years with losing 3 millions of active accounts within 6 months - which could be more, since Blizzard just stopped reporting subs.

That's still not an issue of cross realms, just that back then WoW was new and pretty much ground-breaking, while in 2015 it was already 10 years old and didn't bring anything new with WoD.
    The point the OP was making was that Classic has more subs, which it did not - even for a period during WoD it didn't.

Deleted
    I run into the same players all the time, and I play on a huge server.
    Doubt rise

Literally

Quote Originally Posted by ababmer View Post
    I hit rank 14 in vanilla and #1 in world 2v2 of our combo Europe Arena - your opinions are uneducated in comparison
    to reach max rank in vanilla required to do nothing but pvp more than 10 hours a day everyday, you dont have time for a job or school, it didnt require skill just time and a little easier on an OP char that could 1-2 hit anyone.

vanilla will be a novalty for a short time and people will realise they have already done everything and its just a boring grind with no challenge at all.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    to reach max rank in vanilla required to do nothing but pvp more than 10 hours a day everyday, you dont have time for a job or school, it didnt require skill just time and a little easier on an OP char that could 1-2 hit anyone.

vanilla will be a novalty for a short time and people will realise they have already done everything and its just a boring grind with no challenge at all.
    You clearly missed the part about my being #1 in 2v2 Europe of our combo.

Again; prepare for Vanilla to be more popular than retail, it's going to happen.