View Poll Results: Are you responsible for the safety of somebody invading your home?

Voters
258. This poll is closed
  • Yes

7 2.71%
  • No

251 97.29%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    It was talking about an opinion you expressed.
    Yes, you attacked my personal opinion, not the actual topic.

So, I gave you more personal opinions to attack, since you wanted to talk about my personal opinions, not the topic.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Crica View Post
    Yes, you attacked my personal opinion, not the actual topic.
    Attacking an opinion (and no I didn't "attack" it, I commented on it in as neutral way as I could come up) is not ad hominem. As you already stated, ad hominem is attacking the person. And given that discussing opinions is the purpose of a debating forum, I am struggling to understand why I have been targetted by you in this manner.

Secondly, your opinion was part of the topic, so again, I am a bit mystified by what you're going on about here.

Anyhow I am out of time. Enjoy the rest of your debate.

It all depends since you need to be held accountable and charged if you setup what is basically death traps with a purpose of killing or maiming people.

ad hominem is attacking the person
    Opinions don't exist in a vaccum, they require people to have them in order to exist.

My personal opinion has nothing to do with the topic of why homeowners should or should not be responsible for the safety of people who break into their homes.

The fact (not opinion) that I am not responsible for their choices is the reason I should not be held responsible for any harm that comes to them as a result of them freely choosing to violate boundaries.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2018-07-13 at 03:10 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It all depends since you need to be held accountable and charged if you setup what is basically death traps with a purpose of killing or maiming people.
    I don't think that the purpose of the pool was to serve as a death trap. However pools are a drowning hazard and due dilligence demands that certain safety measures should be put in place if they are to be installed.

I don't think that the purpose of the pool was to serve as a death trap. However pools are a drowning hazard and due dilligence demands that certain safety measures should be put in place if they are to be installed.
    Which a fence is. So if someone scales a fence to enter and then drown in said pool, the homeowner should not be held responsible. I would even venture that if someone owned a large piece of land that had a natural pond and someone trespasses onto property and drowns in the pool, the homeowner again, should not be held responsible. The homeowner should only be responsible for the safety of the people that are invited on their property and reasonable safety measures should be installed and taken to keep visitors safe on the property. If that means having a lifeguard on duty when a person holds a party to ensure the safety of the people who may go near the pond than so be it.
    Last edited by petej0; 2018-07-13 at 03:41 PM.

Jesus motherfucking Christ. I can't believe 4 people voted yes, even as trolls.

Seriously? All burglars, home invaders, anyone doing illegal shit in someone else's home, should be shot or bludgeoned as soon as they enter the premises illegally.

I just don't understand how this isn't the thinking of any sane, rational person.

Anyone doing said bludgeoning should also be rewarded with a medal.

Edit: And compensation from the deceased/injured burglar's estate for the trauma the burglar caused by invading their home and forcing them to bludgeon/shoot him/her
    Last edited by Gavll; 2018-07-13 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post

Seriously? All burglars, home invaders, anyone doing illegal shit in someone else's home, should be shot or bludgeoned as soon as they enter the premises illegally.

I just don't understand how this isn't the thinking of any sane, rational person.

Edit: And compensation from the deceased/injured burglar's estate for the trauma the burglar caused by invading their home and forcing them to bludgeon/shoot him/her
    I realize this is hyperbole. But can I rape the burglar before bludgeoning him/her to death? or would that be wrong?
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    I realize this is hyperbole. But can I rape the burglar before bludgeoning him/her to death? or would that be wrong?
    The rape is unneccessary in the situation, so you should be prosecuted for that if it could be proven. But the GBH or manslaughter of the burglar would go unpunished as it's warranted defence of your domicile.

On a personal note, I couldn't give a shit what you do to them

All people might not be right wing fascist gun loving shoot em fast shoot em now people

Trespassers

Trespassers, including burglars, are people who do not have permission or a lawful right to be on a homeowner's property. Homeowners, generally, have no duty to protect trespassers from dangers. So, a burglar cannot sue for tripping on a toy car or being hit by a falling television.

Exceptions

There are several exceptions to this rule:

Known trespasser -- Homeowners can't possibly anticipate a random burglar coming into their home. However, if there are signs of a frequent trespasser, the homeowner does have a duty to warn about known dangers on the property.
    Booby traps -- Homeowners can be sued for willful and wanton conduct that injures a trespasser. This means don't set up any booby traps meant to injure a burglar or trespasser.
    Deadly Force -- While you may be able to use deadly force to defend your life in some states, you can never use deadly force to protect personal property.

https://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/20...-injuries.html

At least in the US.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Should you kill somebody who is attempting to rape you? Can you concede that it is shitty to kill somebody simply because they are attempting to fulfill a need that society has denied them?
    Kill someone for stealing, only if they are armed, and putting your life in danger. Though, if you decide to fight them, and they die in the process, then it is what it is. Example, someone steals something from your yard and starts running, and you shoot them in the back, that is murder. If someone breaks in your house with a weapon and starts looting, then shoot them as they obviously have the intent to kill you if you were to defend your possessions.

With rape, they are putting your life in danger right from the get go, so defense of equal force is acceptable without a doubt.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    All people might not be right wing fascist gun loving shoot em fast shoot em now people
    If you want to let people steal your shit, then that's your right. Just as it should be my right to kill/maim them without asking any questions and without repercussion.

There's nothing right wing about defending yourself or your property. There is something extremely left wing about protecting criminals "rights" who are literally in the act of committing a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Example, someone steals something from your yard and starts running, and you shoot them in the back, that is murder..
    So theft is OK as long as you run away and turn your back?

10+ Year Old Account
    So theft is OK as long as you run away and turn your back?
    No, theft is wrong. Get your phone camera out, and take a picture of the person who is running. Or if you feel it necessary, you could try to stop them, but it is best to call the police. If you are not in danger, don't murder someone.

The only thing about people breaking in your house is that you shouldn't use *excessive* violence really,but for the rest,they're breaking in your property without your consent,the last thing you should care about is them being safe

10+ Year Old Account
    You break into my shit I will break your shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    No, theft is wrong. Get your phone camera out, and take a picture of the person who is running. Or if you feel it necessary, you could try to stop them, but it is best to call the police. If you are not in danger, don't murder someone.
    I was once assaulted (totally unprovoked) by 5 people, who literally ended up kerb stomping me. I managed to get up and run away. I called the police while I was running and explained the situation.

Do you know what the police did? Absolutely nothing. They said "give us your address and we'll come around in 45 minutes". This is while I am on the phone to them, explaining that I am in the process of escaping being beaten to death. The police could have come and arrested them all for GBH and attempted murder. Instead, nothing happened. I got a victim leaflet. Fuck the police.

Good laugh fuck no, they should be lucky to get out alive.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was once assaulted (totally unprovoked) by 5 people, who literally ended up kerb stomping me. I managed to get up and run away. I called the police while I was running and explained the situation.

Do you know what the police did? Absolutely nothing. They said "give us your address and we'll come around in 45 minutes". This is while I am on the phone to them, explaining that I am in the process of escaping being beaten to death. The police could have come and arrested them all for GBH and attempted murder. Instead, nothing happened. I got a victim leaflet. Fuck the police.
    That sucks. But if you shot and killed them all, i'd bet you would be in jail, especially if the police in your area suck so much.