Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daeveren View Post
    Just tested again today, after trying and praying for several months since I have BfA beta access. Same thing as when I tried first time - when enabling DX12 (and restarting the game), the fps drops by 15-20% (floating above Stormwind) and the game has insane tearing when in DX12 mode (I'm on a GeForce 1060 6GB). Hoped they'd improve on it before launch.

I'm still hoping for a more 'complete' DX12 implementation in the 3 weeks left until pre-patch hits, but looking at how things progressed in these last 6 months with their DX12 implementation, it seems they might just mark the setting as "experimental" (or just disable it completely) and maybe fully add it later on in 8.1 or 8.2.
    Just like class changes.

This company is literally so disgusting.

Removal of fullscreen wxclusihe = no more sli. Awesome blizzard. From ~100fps on max to sub 50. Now I get to play at 7.

Course DX12 supports sli natively if it’s coded for by the developers. Blizzard doesn’t have the time or resources for that. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Interim View Post
    Removal of fullscreen wxclusihe = no more sli. Awesome blizzard. From ~100fps on max to sub 50. Now I get to play at 7.

Course DX12 supports sli natively if it’s coded for by the developers. Blizzard doesn’t have the time or resources for that. Rip
    GPUs won't effect your minimum frames. You won't drop to 7 FPS from ~100 suddenly.

Deleted
    I keep looking at this "Dx12" upgrade more as.. a wrapper kind of thing... than DX12 as a whole tbh

10+ Year Old Account

You need SLI to not have 7 FPS in WoW? What do you have there in SLI? GeForce 260?

lul

- - - Updated - - -

Besides that, DX12 for Blizzard is like putting a bandaid on a gushing wound.

It's about time they axe their ancient engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Pretty obvious that they're talking about 7 in the settings bar and not 7 fps.
    Eh, I clearly wasn't alone thinking he was referring to FPS. Shit happens. Surprised he's only (previously) getting 100 fps with SLI though, my old gtx 660 Ti's used to get about that in SLI. Obviously open world stuff not raids/big pvp fights. That's cpu stuff.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    15 years.

Billions of dollars.

Still utilizes 1 CPU core for PS3 level graphics. Can't maintain 60FPS maxed on $3000+ dollar hardware.
    sounds more like u wasted 3k$ on the wrong hardware .. even my shit 5year old pc can handle 45~ in raids ..

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    15 years.

Billions of dollars.

Still utilizes 1 CPU core for PS3 level graphics. Can't maintain 60FPS maxed on $3000+ dollar hardware.

WoW is nowhere near PS3. I'd say it's more like mid-gen PS2 with an HD patch and even that is only if you consider BfA assets and nothing else..

I mean FFXIV was on PS3 until Stormblood and Realm Reborn and Heavensward wipe their ass with WoW. One fucking patch in that game also gets you more than 15 years of armor variety in WoW.

I'd actually still take FFXI visuals over most of WoW, let alone XIV.

sounds more like u wasted 3k$ on the wrong hardware .. even my shit 5year old pc can handle 45~ in raids ..
    Its almost like WoW hasn't utilized the last decade, yes decade, of hardware improvements.

If this game even properly utilized a god damn 11 year old i5 750, no one would go below 60 FPS.

We need that DX12 though. I mean an API designed to improve low level communication between CPU and GPU? Nothin will use that better than a single core piece of trash.
    Last edited by BlueRemedy; 2018-07-11 at 02:32 AM.

i7 8700k/R9 480x 8gb have on ultra settings.
    Underbelly: DX11:108/DX12:120
    High view of suramar from dalaran: DX11:64/DX12:80
    12 year rogue player!

Quote Originally Posted by KingMavros View Post
    i7 8700k/R9 480x 8gb have on ultra settings.
    Underbelly: DX11:108/DX12:120
    High view of suramar from dalaran: DX11:64/DX12:80
    Is the CPU over clocked or stock speed?

Sorry. I was being generous. I didn't want to make any of the fanboys have an aneurysm.
    You don't have to be a fanboy to search internet for PS2 screenshots and compare them to WoW BfA graphics. You have to be fucking retarded sonyboi or blizzard-hater or maybe both to say that PS2 graphic is on par with modern WoW.

From the latest Blizzard post about the BfA pre-patch:
    To make the most of Battle for Azeroth and avoid potential issues, it’s important to update to the latest DirectX 12 drivers. Please note that AMD and Intel GPUs will default to DX12, while NVIDIA drivers will remain at DX11 with the option to update at a later time.
    So what I understand is that DX12 implementation is 'final' for AMD and Intel GPUs, but for Nvidia hardware is unusable currently - it will be usable when Nvidia releases their updated drivers which will add DX12 support for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeveren View Post
    So what I understand is that DX12 implementation is 'final' for AMD and Intel GPUs, but for Nvidia hardware is unusable currently - it will be usable when Nvidia releases their updated drivers which will add DX12 support for BfA.
    Its not "unusable", it jut doesn't offer an advantage currently. We'll see how that changes in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    ABsolutely retarded question here, I know, but does this mean that if you don't have DX12 installed (or have an OS not capable of using it) that BfA won't run?
    It will run fine on any system that supports DX11. DX12 is only used when available. And since you asked

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    It will run fine on any system that supports DX11. DX12 is only used when available. And since you asked
    In theory, yes it should - but it needs software support, so that's what it seems we don't have yet from Nvidia. But in practice, it causes issues for a lot of people (presumably only those with nvidia cards) and loss of performance (quite the opposite what DX12 should do) and it now seems it was just not activated at all. Hopefuly by tuesday Nvidia releases their patch.

On the beta DX12 is intentionally running worse because they are using NVIDIA Aftermath which is used to scan for crashes and auto reporting them. I guess they will disable it or fully remove it once 8.0 is live (or shortly after that).

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, just maybe because they have had a successful product for 15 years, and have a lot of regular players for 15 years, and changing it dramatically like, I dunno, fucking Star Wars Galaxies, would alienate most of the playerbase and they would turn a successful money making product into a flop.

And for what? So some teen dicks can get their ADHD fixes?

Try and use some logical thinking.
    That's some serious oversimplification of the Star Wars Galaxies changes and why it alienated players.

To do the same thing Blizzard would need to change the UI, change the entire combat system, while also completely removing specs and taking classes back down to Paladin, Mage, Priest, Warrior, etc. Oh in the process they would have already alienated players by making the drastic change of gearing so that it no longer comes from Raids but now from crafting, making the fundamental gear acquisition style change.

That stuff also simply compounded other long standing issues that players were already leaving over as well. Players didn't jump ship simply because of a UI change, that was the least of the problems with what went wrong with SWG.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2018-07-14 at 09:20 AM.

Blizz talked in the past about what it would mean to develop and implement a brand new engine for WoW and they said it's a monumental task, it would mean to redo/recreate all the assets, objects, gear, textures, spells and so on in the new engine (and there's hundreds of thousands of them at this point - everything they created in all these 14 years) - a task that would take so many years it would just not be feasible; a task perhaps 5-10 times bigger than creating an entire new expansion.

Instead, they're working by rewriting parts of the engine to accomodate newer technologies and the always-increasing demands for the new expansions (such as bigger textures, bigger draw distance, more objects on the screens, more polygons etc). Good examples are when they rewrote the rendering sub-part of the engine, adding support for DX11, SSAO, HBAO and similarly now with DX12.
    Last edited by Daeveren; 2018-07-14 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    On the beta DX12 is intentionally running worse because they are using NVIDIA Aftermath which is used to scan for crashes and auto reporting them. I guess they will disable it or fully remove it once 8.0 is live (or shortly after that).
    At least someone understands how beta works. Thanks for saving my time for posting this before me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    At least someone understands how beta works. Thanks for saving my time for posting this before me.
    That doesn't look as being the cause for the drastic fps loss, insane tearing and stutters that happens currently when one switches to DX12 in the beta (I can post a smartphone recording of how the game acts after switching to DX12 mode using a GeForce 1060 - it's literally unplayable). Aftermath is meant to be negligible in terms of performance loss, meant to be left fully enabled after the game launch.
    Last edited by Daeveren; 2018-07-14 at 09:36 AM.

This is why I always facepalm when people wrote about the whole "where is the exclusive fullscreen option?" and saying it's gone, baits people to get preemptively emotional.

The fact is that with DX12 and the new type of fullscreen it does benefit of SLI, I know because I use SLI as well, and on Live I too have to use exclusive fullscreen to properly utilize it. On the Beta client performance is the same as live, even better perhaps. Point is no you won't have issues with SLI not working.

If there are any issues once patch goes live it is probably not intended, or requires a driver upgrade. Also make sure you actually use DX12 as well I guess. Anyway, I wouldn't worry man.