Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Angry Costco is taking Polish hot dogs off its food court menu

SOURCE

At Costco, where the American Dream is sold in bulk, you can buy a bathrobe, a new set of tires, a 7½-pound jar of steak seasoning and a 36-roll box of toilet paper. And while you’re prowling the aisles for giant containers of food, you can eat: The brand’s food court has a cult following for its steep deals on snacks and fast food.

But there’s trouble in bulk-discount paradise: The brand is removing a fan favorite, the Polish hot dog, from the menu. The store is replacing it with such healthier fare as acai bowls, which proves that people who run the Costco food court have no idea why people come to the Costco food court. It certainly isn’t to get a refreshing acai bowl after buying a 100-pack of frozen chicken nuggets or a drum-sized container of chocolate-covered pretzels.

A Polish hot dog is kind of like a regular hot dog, but in the language of the Internet, it is thicc. It is technically a kielbasa. Business Insider reports that a backlash to the Costco menu changes has begun: Fans have been expressing their displeasure on social media, and a Change.org petition was gathering signatures to bring the dogs back. The changes have been rolling out across stores nationwide, and some ditched the Polish hot dog weeks ago.

The Costco membership population is rapidly progressing through the five stages of grief right now. Denial (“How could you do such a thing? #boycottcostco”), anger (“Vegans out here ruining Costco”), bargaining (“I just wanna talk to whoever made the executive decision to get rid of the Polish hot dog”), depression (“Costco removing the polish hot dog sounds like a nightmare but it’s reality. I’m speechless.”). They haven’t yet reached Stage 5: acceptance.

Anyway, don’t panic: The regular — skinnier — all-beef hot dog will remain on the menu for $1.50. The Polish hot dogs will still be sold in bulk, the Seattle Times reported. Representatives from Costco have not yet responded to a query from The Washington Post about whether the outcry on social media could persuade the company to reconsider.

But even the company’s top leaders don’t seem very convinced that the new health-focused menu will be popular.

“This new plant-based protein salad, I know that excites you,” said chief executive Craig Jelinek at a shareholder meeting, according to the Seattle Times. “But it is healthy. And, uh, actually, it tastes pretty good, if you like those kind of things. I tried it once.”

Update, July 13: The Polish hot dog wars are ON. Competitor Sam’s Club has added the dogs to its menu
    This really saddens me. Costco's Polish dogs were some of the best cheap meals I've ever had. Very satisfying too. They were 1/4lb or 1/3lb or something like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    This really saddens me. Costco's Polish dogs were some of the best cheap meals I've ever had. Very satisfying too. They were 1/4lb or 1/3lb or something like that.
    Costco is nice. I'm pretty sure the giant grease-soaked pizza slices are more popular than the hot dogs.

Yeahhhhhh I would not reccomend the Costco food court. Atleast not my local one, the guy handling change is the one opening your dog bun, with his bare hads.

The condiment bars are not cleaned throughout the day, only at night.

They put cheese on the pizzas without wearing gloves.

Ect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Yeahhhhhh I would not reccomend the Costco food court. Atleast not my local one, the guy handling change is the one opening your dog bun, with his bare hads.

Ect.
    I don't think that's normal to not wear gloves. Although it doesn't surprise me that a business based on being a giant warehouse isn't great with a food court.

As a polish man I find this to be offensive to my people!

Ect.
    Yeah...sounds like a problem with your Costco, the two by me are pretty good when it comes to common sense food safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I don't think that's normal to not wear gloves. Although it doesn't surprise me that a business based on being a giant warehouse isn't great with a food court.
    It's less about the bare hands than about also handling money. Money is gross.

But really, huh huh, can't get your $1.50 hot dog while you get 88 gallons of chips and 2 tons of cookies? Oops.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Pizza preparation is a special case in health and safety code. Because pizzas are cooked in a ~500 degree oven its not uncommon for pizzas to hit ~200 degrees, food born illnesses are killed off at about 165 degrees(this is the temperature you need to cook chicken to to make it safe). this means that the dough prep, dough handling, and topping setting can be done without gloves. However if they handle the pizza without gloves after cooking there is a problem.
    Last edited by Solbera; 2018-07-15 at 07:29 AM.

We canceled our Costco membership cause you can order everything in bulk over the internet these days and our Costco was like 50 miles away.

I've eaten the Polish dogs but mostly I remember getting the pizza.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Here's a note to Craig Jelinek: if you're trying to promote a new product, don't end your impression with "I tried it once."

This got me so effing mad... i love polish dogs. SIGH

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Acai bowls are actually pretty good. I've had them more than a few times. A nice heaping portion of sorbet, with lots of cut strawberries and fresh blueberries! I get it with the nuts omitted. I don't really like nuts in food. But its a sizable portion, and it really tastes good. I liked the Polish dogs too, but you still have the hot dog.
    When do the waves turn on?
    When do the waves turn on?
    When do th--*Promptly jumps into the water to do some FACE PUNCHING!*

10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot say I have ever eaten int he Costco food court, I'm not even sure there is a place to eat here in the UK, if it does I never noticed lol.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-07-15 at 09:51 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    WHAT.

^ My genuine real life reply at this. I love those things so much. Sad day.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Ect.
    The ones in Canada all food handlers are required to wear gloves, including the ice cream server. Cashier's are not allowed to touch anything but the tray.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come on Costco.

If I wanted to be healthy I wouldn't be buying Lindtt chocolates in bulk at your store

Funny I just bought 2 packs of these online and had them delivered . In my steamer? They are just like the ones at the food court.

Costco delivery , all the cost none of the hand to hand combat of actually having to go to one.

10+ Year Old Account
    getting real tired of this health craze.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I cannot say I have ever eaten int he Costco food court, I'm not even sure there is a place to eat here in the UK, if it does I never noticed lol.
    They have a food court in the CostCo near me.

It is violently American.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is their protein salad that new açaí bowl?

I can see that being a hit. It’s tasty.