Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Forced fullscreen (window) is ruining my experience.

So, with the update they are forcing everyone, including dx11 users, to run in fullscreen window mode. My gaming setup is with 2 extra screen on the left and right. Naturally when playing a game like WoW I play in fullscreen mode so I can't accidentally click on one of the other screens. But with the update now, I can't go fullscreen anymore hence my entire experience is crap. The only work around I have, is disabling the other 2 screens so I can't move the cursor over there, but that means when I am NOT playing WoW I will have to enable them again. This is completely unnecessary and user unfriendly. DX11 still supports fullscreen mode, and makes no sense forcing me to play in window mode.

I am legitimately mad at Blizzard for this.

I was wondering this too, why they removed the fullscreen (not windows), it makes no sense

DX11 also suffers FPS loss in fullscreen window mode, but that's a minor annoyance. The biggest problem is that everyone that uses screen extensions with a 2nd or 3rd screen will have to manually disable the extension every-time they play WoW. This is beyond stupid. And since I am not even subbed at the moment I can't even tell them in the forums how big of a deal this for (some) users is... I get it that they have to do it for DX12, but why DX11? Why do they need to limit options that work? I am trying to find a solution if I can force fullscreen through drivers, I will keep you updated.

Because DirectX12 doesn't support normal fullscreen. They had to remove that option in order to use DriectX12.

I only have one monitor so i haven't tested this, but someone on the official tech support forum posted about a "lock cursor to window" option

Navigate to Interface > Navigate to 'Mouse' > CLICK 'Lock Cursor to Window'

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear. It's increased my experience with the game.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I run multiple monitors and have been playing in Windowed Fullscreen for years now. It allows me to easily switch to my browser or media to do things without the need of minimizing WoW. I have never had an issue with my mouse going to the wrong screen but will admit I keep my DPI settings on the lower side. As mentioned though, DX12 has no support for fullscreen so that is the reasoning behind this change.

EDIT: In Game Menu > Interface > Mouse, you can bind your mouse to WoW window.
    Last edited by Myth; 2018-07-18 at 12:31 PM.

Deleted
    Why lock DX11 users in windowed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    So, with the update they are forcing everyone, including dx11 users, to run in fullscreen window mode. My gaming setup is with 2 extra screen on the left and right. Naturally when playing a game like WoW I play in fullscreen mode so I can't accidentally click on one of the other screens. But with the update now, I can't go fullscreen anymore hence my entire experience is crap. The only work around I have, is disabling the other 2 screens so I can't move the cursor over there, but that means when I am NOT playing WoW I will have to enable them again. This is completely unnecessary and user unfriendly. DX11 still supports fullscreen mode, and makes no sense forcing me to play in window mode.

I am legitimately mad at Blizzard for this.
    Wait what? who plays WoW in Fullscreen while using 3 monitor?

It looks like you had never issues with youtube or any other video source while playing wow. It's disgusting to tab out in Fullscreen mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only issue with it is that when I move to my second 60hz screen while playing WoW on a 144hz screen, if I click anywhere on the desktop of the second, wow reverts back to 60hz in the gfx settings, which is a pain. Before the patch I had to set it back to Fullscreen in order to change back to 144hz as that option was greyed out in Windowed Fullscreen. I hope they have enabled that now as I rather like the better refresh rates.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by mike39911 View Post

It looks like you had never issues with youtube or any other video source while playing wow. It's disgusting to tab out in Fullscreen mode.
    Exactly this. Can you even use your other screen if wow is in fullscreen mode? or do you have to tab out? Moving my cursor to my other screens is kind of the point of multiple screens. People....

To play the game? When I am playing WoW I am not going to watch youtube videos or work on stuff, I wanna play the game. I don't wanna move the cursor to another screen when I am playing games, I just want to play the game. And now I see why players are distracted so easily. xD

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is not that dx12 cannot support fullscreen. It does. The reason proper fullscreen is being discontinued by Blizzard is due to an issue that existed with one of the interface drivers between DX12 and windows 10 when Blizzard started work on BfA. That issue has been resolved and patched, but by the time it was, Blizzard had already excised natural fullscreen from the client.

It is highly unlikely that they will add it back in.

Blizzard has from time to time had to throw users with older hardware under the buss in order to move systems forward. This appears to be one of those times.

So, with the update they are forcing everyone, including dx11 users, to run in fullscreen window mode. My gaming setup is with 2 extra screen on the left and right. Naturally when playing a game like WoW I play in fullscreen mode so I can't accidentally click on one of the other screens. But with the update now, I can't go fullscreen anymore hence my entire experience is crap.
    There is an option in the game to lock the cursor to the window, did you try using that?

Interface -> Mouse -> Lock Cursor to Window
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2018-07-18 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpten View Post
    Why lock DX11 users in windowed then?
    because they dont want you to use DX11 - simple as that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I don't like that they've removed full screen mode. The game runs worse now, they need to add it back.
    I'll Never Forget You...
    Vanessa "Nellie" Marcussen 1987 - 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    There is an option in the game to lock the cursor to the window, did you try using that?

Interface -> Mouse -> Lock Cursor to Window
    Yes that does indeed work. Why are they hiding it in the mouse options when it clearly should be next to the resolution options.

Anyway, since I am using DX11 not having true fullscreen does impact performance as well, I am down 30-40 fps on average. Dalaran used to be 70-80, now I am down to 50ish. What's your solution for that? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    The problem is not that dx12 cannot support fullscreen. It does. The reason proper fullscreen is being discontinued by Blizzard is due to an issue that existed with one of the interface drivers between DX12 and windows 10 when Blizzard started work on BfA. That issue has been resolved and patched, but by the time it was, Blizzard had already excised natural fullscreen from the client.

It is highly unlikely that they will add it back in.

Blizzard has from time to time had to throw users with older hardware under the buss in order to move systems forward. This appears to be one of those times.
    Then they should start by finally updating their system so that it doesn't run on a 20 year old engine, that would be truly moving forward the game. World of Tanks has moved from Big Worlds Engine to the enCore engine, Blizz is just too lazy/greedy to scrap it.

To play the game? When I am playing WoW I am not going to watch youtube videos or work on stuff, I wanna play the game. I don't wanna move the cursor to another screen when I am playing games, I just want to play the game. And now I see why players are distracted so easily. xD
    That's so 2006. I stopped counting how many serie,movies or whatever i watched while lvling e new alt. This is something that i only can do in wow, and i very much appreciate it. Of course there are Content where i can't watch something, like mythic raiding, or m+. But LFR or farming WQ, i am always watching something. always. You should give it a try, trust me you will save a lot of time

That's so 2006. I stopped counting how many serie,movies or whatever i watched while lvling e new alt. This is something that i only can do in wow, and i very much appreciate it. Of course there are Content where i can't watch something, like mythic raiding, or m+. But LFR or farming WQ, i am always watching something. always. You should give it a try, trust me you will save a lot of time
    But how can you level and focus on the video/story. Nah man, I wanna enjoy my experience with 100% focus, be it a game or a movie. Not joining this movement!

Yes that does indeed work. Why are they hiding it in the mouse options when it clearly should be next to the resolution options.

Anyway, since I am using DX11 not having true fullscreen does impact performance as well, I am down 30-40 fps on average. Dalaran used to be 70-80, now I am down to 50ish. What's your solution for that? :P
    30-40FPS on average? With modern hardware (last 5 years) you do not lose a single Frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noATnPRC8Vo