Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Apparently "Naga Slave Pens" is racist.

The guild of one of my toons was called "Naga Slave Pens" for years up until today. Apparently, someone complained to Blizzard and so Blizzard changed the name to something random and then charged the Guild Master to change it. The guild was named after an area in Outland called "The Slave Pens" that features a lot of, you guessed it, Naga.

I'm still scratching my head.

Some things just don't make sense about the world.

Like it's shape, mirite?

Considering how people have used the word naga to replace a certain other word for years, is it really that much of a head-scratcher? Sure, it sucks that the guild name was changed after years of using it, especially if there was no offense intended, but you can thank all the people who have made guilds like "Naga stole my bike" and such for it.

My guess is that some very hurt and insecure person complained that Naga can easily be transformed into another word, which I don't mind saying, but apparently it's a VEEEEERY bad thing to say in our society.

What can you do, people be retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    which I don't mind saying, but apparently it's a VEEEEERY bad thing to say in our society.

People are retarded for not wanting to be called racial epithets?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    Sure, it sucks that the guild name was changed after years of using it...
    That's not what's got us concerned. It was that Blizzard changed it to something random (with random numbers and such) and then charged the GM to change it to something else.

I’m 100% sure you named your guild after the Slave Pens. Sure, that’s a totally logical name for a guild. No other meaning behind it.

I bet the people that used to name their guilds and arena teams “Naga stole my bike” actually did get their bike stolen by a naga.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Blizzard changed the name to something random and then charged the Guild Master to change it.
    I'm pretty sure you can contest this and at least ask a GM to change it to something else. They shouldn't be charging you for that.

When a player name gets reported too many times, you get forcibly logged out and get flagged for a rename (FOR FREE). They don't just randomly change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I’m 100% sure you named your guild after the Slave Pens. Sure, that’s a totally logical name for a guild. No other meaning behind it.

Fuck off with that "racist until proven innocent" attitude. There is literally a race in WoW called the Naga and they do have Slave Pens. Don't assume the worst in people. Whether it's a dumb joke or not, nothing in that guild name is infraction-worthy. The asshole who reported the guild probably just had a group report because it's an automated system.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    That's not what's got us concerned. It was that Blizzard changed it to something random (with random numbers and such) and then charged the GM to change it to something else.
    Your GM knew damn well what he was doing with that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    People are retarded for not wanting to be called racial epithets?
    People are retarded for taking taking offense by it. Which kinda validates the point in the first place, doesn't it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    Considering how people have used the word naga to replace a certain other word for years, is it really that much of a head-scratcher? Sure, it sucks that the guild name was changed after years of using it, especially if there was no offense intended, but you can thank all the people who have made guilds like "Naga stole my bike" and such for it.
    I am pretty sure OP''s guild was named such with less than innocent intentions.

People are retarded for taking taking offense by it. Which kinda validates the point in the first place, doesn't it.
    It's obvious what the GM did and meant with that name, they're just butthurt someone else took it the same way and acted on it.

My guess is that some very hurt and insecure person complained that Naga can easily be transformed into another word, which I don't mind saying, but apparently it's a VEEEEERY bad thing to say in our society.

I love how you wont say nigger but are fine with saying retard :P

anyway, OP welcome to the 21st century where you cant make a joke without someone throwing a hissy fit about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    It's obvious what the GM did and meant with that name, they're just butthurt someone else took it the same way and acted on it.
    so what? it's a joke and a play on words.

it doesnt hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can contest this and at least ask a GM to change it to something else. They shouldn't be charging you for that.

When a player name gets reported too many times, you get forcibly logged out and get flagged for a rename (FOR FREE). They don't just randomly change it.

Fuck off with that "racist until proven innocent" attitude. There is literally a race in WoW called the Naga and they do have Slave Pens. Don't assume the worst in people. Whether it's a dumb joke or not, nothing in that guild name is infraction-worthy. The asshole who reported the guild probably just had a group report because it's an automated system.
    I don’t have to assume anything. There’s literally no reason to call a guild “Naga Slave Pens” unless you’re being a dick. That’s not even the name of the dungeon, it’s just the Slave Pens.

- - - Updated - - -

Why exactly do you get to dictate what other people should and should not find offensive?
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    I love how you wont say nigger but are fine with saying retard :P

anyway, OP welcome to the 21st century where you cant make a joke without someone throwing a hissy fit about it.
    Pretty much the world we live in where no matter what you do, if you're white, you're racist.

I don’t have to assume anything. There’s literally no reason to call a guild “Naga Slave Pens” unless you’re being a dick. That’s not even the name of the dungeon, it’s just the Slave Pens.
    TBH I'd find "Slave Pens" to be a lot more potentially abusive than "Naga Slave Pens", at least if I gave a single shit whether it was a racist joke or not because I'm not overly sensitive to dumb shit like this.

People seriously need to relax. There's a reason "nigger" is so powerful because people let it be powerful. It's a fucking word, god damn.

Why exactly do you get to dictate what other people should and should not find offensive?
    Because we're talking about words which only hold meaning if you give them meaning. People could start taking offense to "blarglsnarf" tomorrow if they wanted. Joking or not, this is just petty to be sensitive about when it's not even the word. It's a word used to describe a species in the video game they're playing that some people decided to replace "nigger" with.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Whining has now become a weapon. If someone upsets you, whine. It works.
    Look at Tracer and Blizzard. It's a simple tactic they routinely fall for.

So now you've learned your lesson. Next time someone upsets you -- find something they did that's "offensive" and report them. It's Blizzards weapon of choice, unfortunately, but it works.

Now, weirdly, I'm surprised two of my toons haven't been reported and I'm VERY active in trade/general chat so... hm.

I remember Blizzard once forced a rename of a dudes character that was, literally, the same name of an NPC in the game. I don't recall the details but it took a significant amount of effort to get them to let him keep the name. Remember: If you're upset, you'll win. Just find something to be upset about and Blizzard will cave. Every. Single. Time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Who owns those slave pens, again? What race?

Ever notice the guys who want to use that word so bad won't actually use it real life where they could get a bloody lip saying it? They just want to be able to spam it at people online.

So you're calling the entire world around you in 2018 retarded? Ok bro, good luck with that.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Well, either he named it like that because he tried hard to be funny/edgy and failed.

Or he just named his guild something completely random that makes no sense to call a guild, and was completely oblivious to the implications it has.

Either way your GM is a stupid fuck and a name change is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    <snip>
    Replace "Blizzard" with "pretty much any company ever" and it's bound to work. Said company has to be incredibly corrupt for it to fail (ex: Any ISP, the FCC, US Government, etc).