Mage Advocate here, blizzard should take inspiration from Chakravartin for arcane

I think a beam attack modeled on the power displayed here is warranted for mages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOpa15szaQ&t=1m10s

Ignore the melee face tanking the energies of creation itself like it was a puff of air, that is beside the point, the point is we need more power. Give this to arcane.
    I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Mate, i think you have to rein in your expectations a fair bit. In no way, shape or form a class can have a planet nuking spell in an MMORPG. Balancing is a factor in this genre of games, and a Wizard is as powerful as a Rogue which is as powerful as a Warrior which is as powerful as everyone else.

Lorewise there are definetly some differences, but when it comes to actual gameplay, everyone is on equal footing, or at least as close to it as Blizzard can phisically pull out.

If you enjoy being someone that holds that kind of power (and more to be honest, that vulgar beam of energy is nothing compared to REAL power) you need to turn your attention thowards TableTop RPGs, the likes of classic D&D or Exalted. There, in accordance with your DMs and your fellow players, you can really mess with the powers of creation. In much more satisfying ways then simply nuke planets.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TLH View Post
    Ignore the melee face tanking the energies of creation itself like it was a puff of air
    Ignore the best part?

Give Warriors a 6-armed, flying Hulk form, with Arcade shooter power-ups.

And let them punch their way through Titan planets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOpa15szaQ&t=5m35s
    Last edited by OreoLover; 2018-08-05 at 12:03 PM.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    Mate, i think you have to rein in your expectations a fair bit. In no way, shape or form a class can have a planet nuking spell in an MMORPG. Balancing is a factor in this genre of games, and a Wizard is as powerful as a Rogue which is as powerful as a Warrior which is as powerful as everyone else.

Lorewise there are definetly some differences, but when it comes to actual gameplay, everyone is on equal footing, or at least as close to it as Blizzard can phisically pull out.

If you enjoy being someone that holds that kind of power (and more to be honest, that vulgar beam of energy is nothing compared to REAL power) you need to turn your attention thowards TableTop RPGs, the likes of classic D&D or Exalted. There, in accordance with your DMs and your fellow players, you can really mess with the powers of creation. In much more satisfying ways then simply nuke planets.
    Oh I know this will never happen or be implemented, it's just fun to dream.

Actually, to this day, the most powerful a caster/wizard/mage type character has ever felt was in an ancient pc game that came out around the time of the original doom. It was the mid 90s, when I got my very first pc. The game was magic carpet. Sounds bland, but is was wildly ahead of its time. You played a wizard in a kind of middle eastern jinn kind of world that built castles by firing spells, and making them larger by gathering the mana and converting it that dropped from enemies. It was a shooter like doom in a sense, but you could fly around in space and were not locked to a flat plane for motion, and the spells were all over the map.

Fireballs, fireball streams, lightning, crater spells, spells that would cut lines into the earth itself as if you were a DEMIGOD carving rock with a thought, raise volcanoes, meteors, it was completely insane. Never since has that kind of raw POWER been conveyed in any pc game that I've played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    Ignore the best part?

Give Warriors a 6-armed, flying Hulk form, with Arcade shooter power-ups.

And let them punch their way through Titan planets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOpa15szaQ&t=5m35s

You have the soul of a melee player. I'll take the power cosmic, you can have the talents of wolverine.
    I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Oh I know this will never happen or be implemented, it's just fun to dream.

Actually, to this day, the most powerful a caster/wizard/mage type character has ever felt was in an ancient pc game that came out around the time of the original doom. It was the mid 90s, when I got my very first pc. The game was magic carpet. Sounds bland, but is was wildly ahead of its time. You played a wizard in a kind of middle eastern jinn kind of world that built castles by firing spells, and making them larger by gathering the mana and converting it that dropped from enemies. It was a shooter like doom in a sense, but you could fly around in space and were not locked to a flat plane for motion, and the spells were all over the map.

Fireballs, fireball streams, lightning, crater spells, spells that would cut lines into the earth itself as if you were a DEMIGOD carving rock with a thought, raise volcanoes, meteors, it was completely insane. Never since has that kind of raw POWER been conveyed in any pc game that I've played.
    Oh, in the Single Player RPG realm there are a few gems. For example, play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and go full Mage. I can guarantee that you will get exactly what you like, despite the game itself not being THAT good (but still passable). Once built correctly and reached the peak of your abilities, you can nuke everything in sight with a single Lightning Storm, and reduce bosses to cinder in one of the most satisfying Meteor ever made for a game (time slows when you cast it, which adds immensely to its feeling of effectiveness).

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the soul of a melee player. I'll take the power cosmic, you can have the talents of wolverine.
    Well, in that case, it's more like the powers of Superman. Or high-end Thor.