Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

"Vanilla rotation was only 1-2 buttons"

"Vanilla rotation was only 1-2 buttons" – and!?

You think memorizing a 5-7 button rotations is hard? Not It's not and most people do it while leveling…
    there is nothing hard or impressive about memorizing a 5-7 button rotation.
    This is dumbest thing I've ever heard; It literally takes 5 hours to master it.

While in Vanilla and TBC! You had to think ahead and manage your resources –that is what actually takes skill– and doing that would take months
    you would have the illusion that you've mastered your class, but you didn't.

Key things that you are missing when you think about vanilla
    – Resource management
    – Timing
    – Thinking ahead
    Which are not vital to game right now at all or not present altogether…

Vanilla & TBC gameplay was more strategy and RPG like, while modern wow is flat out action game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have literally seen people recording raid bosses just standing around doing nothing. Go watch nihilum do kelthuzad.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    "This must be some questionable data provided by a Warcraft fan. Are these so-called arguments used to convince his peers that Classic and TBC are exciting and full of meaning? Or is he trying to convince himself?"

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I have literally seen people recording raid bosses just standing around doing nothing. Go watch nihilum do kelthuzad.
    How am I suppose to know which one of the 10000th videos on youtube you're talking about?
    Give me a link

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    How am I suppose to know which one of the 10000th videos on youtube you're talking about?
    Give me a link
    So you praise vanilla to no end but dont know who nihilum are. Yikes

Vanilla combat was the stalest thing in the world. Your goal was to expend all of your mana in a raid fight then drop combat and eat mana food while your teammates did the same. There weren't many mechanics and you stared at your mana bar more than anything else. Vanilla's rotation was bad and it's much better now than it was. TBC had more mechanics and got rid of some of the stupid out of combat eating, so it was a bit better. So no, there was no skill involved in playing the game at this time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Time to stand still for 5 seconds because my mana is running low/ my threat is too high. Sounds fun to me
    Healing and Tanking were much more skill and forethought based. No AOE tanking, mana issues which required downranking by healers ( oh a dozen buttons if done correctly) Massive consumable, attunment, stable roster, and resist requirements too.

different game. The COD, Groupfinder, instant gratification kiddies today wouldn't play nor be able to make it.

10+ Year Old Account
    idk wtf you are talking about but my rotation in Vanilla was at least 4 buttons, sometimes more depending on the fight - i played Warrior tank and Taunt, sunder, Revenge, Shield Bash (for interrupts), Shield Block & Concussion Blow were all necessary and used on any given run - and all three of your criteria (Timing, Res. Management & thinking ahead) were utilized by said tanks.

Vanilla's combat was more about preparation than the actual combat. Having the right group comp, having the right buffs, consumables, having the right gear, etc.

Yes, rotations were "1-3 buttons", but the actual button pressing is not the only aspect of playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    So you praise vanilla to no end but dont know who nihilum are. Yikes
    So he asks you for a link and you insult him instead of providing a link. Yikes.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2018-08-07 at 01:44 PM.

Give me a link

for example.

i agree with "Video Games", check any vanilla boss kill, people are running around, whispering each other or other friends outside of the raid. I know it is true from my own exp
    "Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    So he asks you for a link and you insult him instead of providing a link. Yikes.
    he should have asked google instead of here... why should he do his lazy work for him?

You think memorizing a 5-7 button rotations is hard?
    Not at all. But it's certainly more enjoyable than standing there pressing a fraction of that.

While in Vanilla and TBC! You had to think ahead and manage your resources –that is what actually takes skill– and doing that would take months

– Resource management
    – Timing
    – Thinking ahead
    For most people resource management basically came down to "never cast your best ranked spell because it is awful, used lower ranks". Those who used multiple ranks basically aren't do anything different than a modern healer, particularly at an expansion's start, when they are choosing between slow cheap heals and fast expensive ones.

Timing and thinking ahead are much more of an issue now with current dungeon/raid mechanics than they were in Vanilla.

Vanilla rotations were enjoyable because they were simple and straight-forward. They are relaxing, like playing enjoyable indie games. Not because they were somehow hard to master, not that 99% of the content even required such mastery, it just required you log on and spend enough time getting the gear to raise your stats.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2018-08-07 at 01:46 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    What insult? If you have vanilla on a pedestal, surely you should know just how famous they were? Not to mention, i told him what guild AND what fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    he should have asked google instead of here... why should he do his lazy work for him?
    "he should have found evidence to support my argument"

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

You think memorizing a 5-7 button rotations is hard? Not It's not and most people do it while leveling…

– Resource management
    – Timing
    – Thinking ahead

Vanilla & TBC gameplay was more strategy and RPG like, while modern wow is flat out action game.
    Yeah boys, skills! Thinking ahead is skills!
    Apparently it's so easy that it's still the same people who top parses and continue to do so, damn all those other 99% parses for not mastering those 5-7 button combos, if only we could somehow tell them to just do it in a correct order! That's the key to top dps afterall!
    Yeah man, just like the raids!
    Mythic hard? Not a chance!
    Farming multiple reputations to enter a raid, farming mats and consumables just to raid, having an artificial minimum of resistance gear for shits and giggles? Now that's thinking ahead! Everytime i dig out that Lotus i'm just overwhelmed with skill of how my peers in raids will bow down in awe of my "Thinking ahead" and "Management of resources"

that's not really a claim that holds much weight after what blizzard did going from MoP to WoD.
    it's like every class had a round of electroshock followed by a lobotomy.

even then, the only class i can remember actually having a 2 button ST-DPS rotation in vanilla was retribution with judgment and seal of right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboBFA View Post
    Healing and Tanking were much more skill and forethought based. No AOE tanking, mana issues which required downranking by healers ( oh a dozen buttons if done correctly) Massive consumable, attunment, stable roster, and resist requirements too.

different game. The COD, Groupfinder, instant gratification kiddies today wouldn't play nor be able to make it.
    all those you mentioned above would be able to tank/heal, you learn pretty quickly how to manage your resources, however getting to level 60 is another question.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I never really understood the idea that more complex rotations = good. Personally I would prefer the challenge of a boss fight to come from the difficulty and complexity of the fight rather than having a tedious/laborious rotation to maintain while doing it.

I can understand the argument that if the rotations are simple then the average LFR player won't have anything to do on a boss fight with 90% of the mechanics stripped out, but lets be honest those players aren't going to be executing a complex rotation properly anyway.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dude. Have you ever played at the top level for the past years? Timing and ressources/cooldown managment is still required. You have to actually plan around every mechanic to still do the best you can get. Thinking ahead, timing and ressource managment are still needed if you wanted to play at a high level. You don't need to if you are overgeared for the content you are doing, though. You can clear hc with braindead people, but if you want to play mythic at a competitve level there is a whole new world that vanilla player couldn't imagine in their hottest dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do we even bother? I mean, objectively speaking, raid design has only got better from vanilla. And 2 buttons rotation are not good, no matter how you try to paint it.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines