Chimera ant arc is trash.
    Everything past that is trash.

Gon's "bravery" is just stupidity/impulse a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Still, Hunter x Hunter is so far miles better than any currently airing shounen anime besides My Hero Academia, which has its own problems (but is still very good).
    I agree that it isn't perfect, but I am curious what problems you find with Boku no Hero Academia. Mind elaborating?

I'd comment on Hunter x Hunter, but... I haven't watched it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only real issue with it, is that it introduced like sixty characters, but still spends the majority of the time on one. I get it, it's his story, but there is so much more you could do with a cast that large. I think this would be the show that I'd want some filler, if only for that reason. (but they'd just go the Fairy Tail route where two filler arcs are about the main character)

@<a href="https://www.mmo-champion.com/member.php?u=790658" target="_blank">icedwarrior</a>

I have two major problems: the pacing issues, and the nebulous world and plot objective.

1. Pacing issues. This is most apparent in season 1, but in hindsight, it feels as if the show as a whole could've progressed much faster. Season 1 (and the rest of the series, to an extent) spends a lot of time on a single event, often one that spans several episodes, when it could be trimmed down in to a single episode or two at the most. In season 1, the training arc with Midoriya/Urakara and Iida/Bakugou takes forty minutes for a story that feels like it could be told in fifteen. I wouldn't be bothered if we had gotten character development during this time, but it simply feels like the show goes out of its way to drag out story beats. Thirty seconds of "oh my gosh, Bakugou is jumping over Midoriya!" or minutes on end of "what will Midoriya and Bakugou do?" while Iida and Bakugou stand around, and teachers commenting and such. Felt like I was watching Attack on Titan season 1 again. Same goes for the tournament arc and the Stain arcs. It's why I'd be hesitant to rewatch the series from the beginning without fast forwarding. The wilderness training camp arc in season 3 didn't feel anywhere near as egregious and feels like a breath of fresh air in contrast, but then we had twenty minutes of Deku trying to figure out that he has legs...

2. Worldbuilding: We're fifty hours in to a series where the hero's main goal is the become the next symbol of peace and the no. 1 hero... and yet we know very little about hero society. At most:

• It's been about fifty to a hundred years since quirks showed up.
    • You have to be officially registered as a hero to use your quirk in Japan.
    • Good Samaritan laws don't apply to people using their quirks to save people from or capturing villains, which is tantamount to being a vigilante... somehow.
    • You have to go to a school and pass an exam to get a hero license, and you'll get compensated for doing hero work.

That's it. Fifty episodes in, and I'm still wondering "but wait, WHY does this society consider people vigilantes or the act of using their quirks to stop villains without a license immoral? It'd be like saying that you can't use your gun to shoot a mass shooter when you're right there. Deku and friends apparently barely escaped being punished by law enforcement for attacking Stain, simply because they weren't certified. Heroes can't even arrest villains apparently. This creates the impression that this is a society like Brave New World or Mahouka where moral values have shifted, but unlike those two series, MHA doesn't really explore this new moral system. Similarly, we aren't given that much information on the benefits and restrictions of being a hero. Is it a 24/7 job where you have to respond to situations on a scanner? Are you allowed to pick and choose which situations to go to? Is collateral damage insured by the Hero Association? Why not just skip having a separate Hero Association altogether and just have police forces create a special squad for super powered individuals? It's all nebulous. Deku is in the middle of trying to get his license... and I still don't really know why it's that important.

That being said, it's still a 9/10 great for me, but I can't help but feel this could've been refined to be more concise.

- - - Updated - - -

The fight scenes playing out more like dramatized dialogues than actual fight scenes don't really bother me that much, but it does feel like a missed opportunity at times.

vanishing line - solid series. sword is an absolute unit. sophie is cute and the floppy sleeves are cute. don't think I've ever seen a bolo tie in an anime before.

biggest plot twist in anime history all the old guys working at the restaurant are actually super hot guys. I was happy luke ended up with the silver armor at the end, but I was expecting him to get it earlier and help sword defeat king.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Trying to remember why I have Nano's birthday on my calendar for today when it's back on March 7th but noticed this from a year ago
    I never fixed this. apparently maybe it was some mistranslation in english?
    Last edited by bals; 2018-08-07 at 06:42 AM.

Been on a Sakuga MAD spree, such good showcases of why eastern animation is so vastly superior than western animations.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

To nitpick a bit at this.

1. Pacing issues. This is most apparent in season 1, but in hindsight, it feels as if the show as a whole could've progressed much faster. Season 1 (and the rest of the series, to an extent) spends a lot of time on a single event, often one that spans several episodes, when it could be trimmed down in to a single episode or two at the most. In season 1, the training arc with Midoriya/Urakara and Iida/Bakugou takes forty minutes for a story that feels like it could be told in fifteen. I wouldn't be bothered if we had gotten character development during this time, but it simply feels like the show goes out of its way to drag out story beats. Thirty seconds of "oh my gosh, Bakugou is jumping over Midoriya!" or minutes on end of "what will Midoriya and Bakugou do?" while Iida and Bakugou stand around, and teachers commenting and such. Felt like I was watching Attack on Titan season 1 again. Same goes for the tournament arc and the Stain arcs. It's why I'd be hesitant to rewatch the series from the beginning without fast forwarding. The wilderness training camp arc in season 3 didn't feel anywhere near as egregious and feels like a breath of fresh air in contrast, but then we had twenty minutes of Deku trying to figure out that he has legs...
    I'm not sure what you expect honestly. It's a school after all, of course it's going to have teachers commenting on things.

And for that scene in particular, it WAS development. The whole point was Deku was afraid to ever challenge Bakugou head-on, yet now he has the confidence too. That's why a lot of the fights between students are slower, because it's suppose to show their growth and development, but things like All Might Vs All for One are more extreme.

Also, the whole leg thing was well done, it was never literally 20 minutes of watching him realize that. There was quite a bit going on otherwise, and THEN it hit him that he was trying to copy All Might far too much.

2. Worldbuilding: We're fifty hours in to a series where the hero's main goal is the become the next symbol of peace and the no. 1 hero... and yet we know very little about hero society. At most:

• It's been about fifty to a hundred years since quirks showed up.
    • You have to be officially registered as a hero to use your quirk in Japan.
    • Good Samaritan laws don't apply to people using their quirks to save people from or capturing villains, which is tantamount to being a vigilante... somehow.
    • You have to go to a school and pass an exam to get a hero license, and you'll get compensated for doing hero work.

That's it. Fifty episodes in, and I'm still wondering "but wait, WHY does this society consider people vigilantes or the act of using their quirks to stop villains without a license immoral? It'd be like saying that you can't use your gun to shoot a mass shooter when you're right there. Deku and friends apparently barely escaped being punished by law enforcement for attacking Stain, simply because they weren't certified. Heroes can't even arrest villains apparently. This creates the impression that this is a society like Brave New World or Mahouka where moral values have shifted, but unlike those two series, MHA doesn't really explore this new moral system. Similarly, we aren't given that much information on the benefits and restrictions of being a hero. Is it a 24/7 job where you have to respond to situations on a scanner? Are you allowed to pick and choose which situations to go to? Is collateral damage insured by the Hero Association? Why not just skip having a separate Hero Association altogether and just have police forces create a special squad for super powered individuals? It's all nebulous. Deku is in the middle of trying to get his license... and I still don't really know why it's that important.
    The same reason why you can't use a gun to shoot an invader in your house if you don't have a license to that weapon.

I'm honestly confuse to your comparison. If you don't have a license for a gun, yes, it's illegal to use it to stop a crime.

It's the same logic in BnH. Not only that, but the issue with Stain in particular was the danger they put themselves AND others in by leaping in.

In this case sure, they all made it out alive, but what if it went south? What if instead of having one hero killed off, Iida's recklessness caused the death of Deku and Todoroki?

They're not fully experienced. To go back to your gun comparison, part of needing the license is so the government knows you know how to handle the gun. Same with car licenses.

They're still developing their quirks, they have no idea how to fully handle it yet like how Endeavor can control his flames, yet Todoroki cannot fully control his ice while enraged, or his fire in general.

Free my nigga goriq, he didnt do nuttin

10+ Year Old Account
    Hidive is now available on Chromecast. I know people were hesitant to use it due to its limitations, but it's getting there, little by little.

Also on the subject of BNH:

The series is almost constant world building. We're learning about every possible angle of it at a slow and methodical rate. We're learning at the same speed as the students are.

Things we already know about how the world of Quirks functions:

Currently, 80% of the world population possesses a Quirk.

There are several laws and procedures to ensure the conscientious use of Quirks. During elementary school, children receive Quirk counseling, in order to learn how to use their powers responsibly.

Public display of Quirks are against the law, except in cases of self-defense, such as when one is under attack or preventing someone else from being attacked.

Quirks cannot be used casually in general public, as such a precedent would lead to disaster and numerous forms of discrimination/violence/suppression, depending on the Quirks used and Quirk's owners: Imagine you tell one group of Quirk users that they can't use their Quirk in public, but another can. This is tantamount to racism, given that people are born with Quirks, for the most part.

If you want to use your Quirk for good, then you have to go through mandatory training and schooling, to become a registered and licensed Hero; which is what our cast is doing.

Law: Simple. People registered as Heroes are not the law makers, nor can they legally arrest anyone. Law enforcement agents and agencies still exist specifically for the purpose of separating people who act as containment - Heroes and those who act as law enforcers - Police. This is to maintain societal standards and values and reinforce them, without letting Quirks break them apart.

The whole point of the elongated training and academic process is because it's clearly required, with far too many people having varying degrees of emotional disorders, that in a normal society might not be a huge issue, but two guys with a gigantism Quirk suddenly starting a bar brawl will rapidly end in mass casualties.

This whole world requires a strict level of control and is not easy to govern over, which is why Heroes have to work with law enforcement to help the country. Anything else would lead to rapid disorganisation, massive levels of vigilantism and worse.

As above in Jester Joe's comments on the gun comparison: Sure everyone can own a gun, but not everyone is allowed to run around shooting other people and demanding they do what they're told when a gun's pointed at them.

Also, set Goriq free, he only spoke the truth for the greater good.

License for a gun? *laughs in american*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Also on the subject of BNH:
    If you just kill the people who tell you you can't use your quirk then it becomes legal. Because at that point you kill anyone who goes against you. and from what I have seen so far there's no military.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    If you just kill the people who tell you you can't use your quirk then it becomes legal. Because at that point you kill anyone who goes against you. and from what I have seen so far there's no military.
    Well we havent seen the part where people get the powers for 1.st time. Like its history.
    http://bokunoheroacademia.wikia.com/wiki/Quirk

As it may take quite a few generations for people to adapt.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

ON the subject of BNH: If one day everyone has a quirk, does that mean no one has a quirk?

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    ON the subject of BNH: If one day everyone has a quirk, does that mean no one has a quirk?
    As AFO's brother demonstrated, effectively "quirkless" people would still exist because certain quirks may only be able to manifest under conditions so obscure or improbable that it's possible for one to live and die having never realized they even had one.

It's possible that all of humanity has been affected by whatever event caused the appearance of quirks, and that the 20% of mankind with no apparent quirks were simply the unlucky bunch who didn't get obvious powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    As AFO's brother demonstrated, effectively "quirkless" people would still exist because certain quirks may only be able to manifest under conditions so obscure or improbable that it's possible for one to live and die having never realized they even had one.
    Also while quirks can be "trained", not every quirk is equal, and some are just largely worthless.

And if this wasn't expected, of course there's gonna be a platelet nenderoid.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-08-07 at 11:28 PM.

I watched the first couple of episodes of BnH with a buddy and thought it was pretty boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Also, seems one of the dub VAs for S;G0 has had to be replaced due to scheduling, for those of you watching the simuldub.
    Ashly Burch, voice of Mayuri. She's mostly known as a video game actor, Chloe in Life is Strange and Tiny Tina in Borderlands. Also her Youtube channel, "Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin?".

Replaced by Megan Shipman, who seems fitting, but I'm not currently watching it so I wouldn't know. But Burch was adorable as Mayuri.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like Burch over the sub VA - definitely sounds cuter and her version of Tuturu sounds much nicer. I actually chose to drop Stein's Gate 0 two episodes ago. I was tricked and told that there would be less time travel than the original. This is a mother fuckering lie! so I dropped it due to that. I am too stupid for time travel and/or space.