View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Well, we'll see -

I don't think the result of this is as certain as you imply
    Hope springs eternal...

but it really is on the British to do something about this.
    Time will run out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Aer you kidding?
    Why would they want to give British politicans any say in the EEA after their display of their competence that is Brexit?
    It really wouldn't be fair to them to give the UK equal say.
    Well, let's be realistic... what do you want the British to actually do? They can crash out, or they can be in some form of connection to the EU. And if such a connection is formed, the UK will have a say in how that connection looks like. As long as they don't fall back on their insanity, reasonable participation of the UK is absolutely what should happen in the EEA. They would pay enough membership fees to have the right to decide on how that looks. Also, the EEA isn't as flighty as you may think. Norway and the EU have pretty much carved out how the EEA looks like already. The UK can't just waltz in and change the nature of that agreement in hindsight.

Edit: Ah, page 400... feels like yesterday that I made this thread. At some point we should probably get some mod to change the title to something more generic, but I can't be arsed to deal with that. :P
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-08-08 at 11:00 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Dude, you do read the paper whenever England is playing Germany, don't you? It's been 80 years and still you give us shit for it. :P
    Yeah, but which paper, Slant... this is the point.

We don't all read the Daily Hate.

And again, you misuse the term "British".

You do understand the vast divide between catholic Celtic and protestant Rangers?
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 2018-08-09 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    My specific constituency was 63/37 in favour of Brexit. My MP wouldn't change her position if every single one of the 37% wrote her a letter. As to May, her position is known and it's not changing.
    I feel you. Where I live it ws 70/30 in favour of brexit (was the 13th/14 biggest in favour of brexit). With Carswell being one of the 2 MPs in the district council and Jenking being the other. Both hardcore brexiteers. My constituency has Jenking who will only send back generic "we got your message." response and will never change his mind so basically no point even writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Ah, page 400... feels like yesterday that I made this thread. At some point we should probably get some mod to change the title to something more generic, but I can't be arsed to deal with that. :P
    Have it changed daily with a countdown to crashing out.

Well, let's be realistic... what do you want the British to actually do? They can crash out, or they can be in some form of connection to the EU. And if such a connection is formed, the UK will have a say in how that connection looks like. As long as they don't fall back on their insanity, reasonable participation of the UK is absolutely what should happen in the EEA. They would pay enough membership fees to have the right to decide on how that looks. Also, the EEA isn't as flighty as you may think. Norway and the EU have pretty much carved out how the EEA looks like already. The UK can't just waltz in and change the nature of that agreement in hindsight.

You know pretty well that they would try to do exactly that.
    Norway knows it, too.

I think it could be justified it they used their veto to blackmail some (minor) concessions out of the UK, turn around is fairplay, after all, and the UK did cause them damage with Brexit and constantly threatening to leave in the past, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I feel you. Where I live it ws 70/30 in favour of brexit (was the 13th/14 biggest in favour of brexit). With Carswell being one of the 2 MPs in the district council and Jenking being the other. Both hardcore brexiteers. My constituency has Jenking who will only send back generic "we got your message." response and will never change his mind so basically no point even writing.
    OK... but sorry, this is defeatist bollocks.

Democracy doesn't end when you cast your vote. They're still accountable.

Indeed.
    They are representatives, not just delegates.
    There is a reason why the parliament is where the responsibility's at in British politics.

Politicans like to pretend they aren't allowed to think and decide because that way they can blame others, but it is not really true.
    They aren't bound by the referendum, they aren't bound by their past decisions.
    Technically they aren't even bound by what they were voted into office to do by the electorate.
    They are bound by their duty to the county and its inhabitants and citizens, only.

If they tell you otherwise then they are lying to get out of taking responsibility for their actions or inaction.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-08-08 at 11:25 PM.

Well "EU-Brexit negotiations at a standstill" is still pretty relevant 10 months later.

Yeah, but which paper, Slant... this is the point.

We don't all read the Daily Hate.

And again, you misuse the term "British".

You do understand the vast divide between catholic Celtic and protestant Rangers?

IMO they're all Scottish Christian fucks and can go suck cock.
    I know that you like to think nobody outside the UK understands your little naming game, but when I refer to British football and include the Scottish league, that is quite correct, innit? And yes, I do understand the history between those clubs. It's one of the more interesting club rivalries I know, glad the Rangers got up again. It's half as funny if Celtic can't beat them down in the league.

As for the paper, how come it's one of your most widespread daily paper if only few read it, as you're suggesting?

- - - Updated - - -

You know pretty well that they would try to do exactly that.
    Norway knows it, too.

I think it could be justified it they used their veto to blackmail some (minor) concessions out of the UK, turn around is fairplay, after all, and the UK did cause them damage with Brexit and constantly threatening to leave in the past, too.
    I'm not a big fan of the revenge game. The UK will have to learn to play in a team or get the fuck out already. And this goes for Remainers as well, because they're also still deluded in thinking that they can dictate how they remain a member. Those times must be over. The UK must be shown that everyone in the EU has the same interest in seeing this succeed vs. the US and China.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

It's not defeatist. It's the reality of being a left of Centre voter who is always going to be in the remain camp, who has spoke to and written to the Brexit loving Tory in a safe conservative seat.

Only thing I can do is weigh up if somehow a Labour or Lib Dem candidate has a chance of winning here and vote them.

If he ever decides to be accountable then hurray. But until he makes an effort he's still one of the more far right Tories pushing for hard Brexit for his own agenda.

I'm not a big fan of the revenge game. The UK will have to learn to play in a team or get the fuck out already. And this goes for Remainers as well, because they're also still deluded in thinking that they can dictate how they remain a member. Those times must be over. The UK must be shown that everyone in the EU has the same interest in seeing this succeed vs. the US and China.
    I'm not proposing revenge, I'm proposing precaution.
    Given the UK's recent history in the EU using blackmail to get them to agree to some contigencies is only resonable.
    It's not like this is going to be permanent, the UK won't be satisfied with staying in the EEA.

well now that i know things will be okay for me i'm kinda laughing at the UK situation rn.

tory party: ISLAMOPHOBIA !!
    labour party: ANTISEMITISM !!

elephant in the room: brexit given hardline date to be finalised, which is end of november

the ERG basically got their no deal brexit because of 3 Labour MPs...

Given the UK's recent history in the EU using blackmail to get them to agree to some contigencies is only resonable.
    It's not like this is going to be permanent, the UK won't be satisfied with staying in the EEA.
    They can always exit the EEA.

10+ Year Old Account
    The EEA being a halfway stop is better than the alternative for both sides at this point, though.

In the EEA they could effectively delay a full exit until they have their infrastructure and institutions necessary set up, while no longer being a full member, with the added bonus of dodging the chaos of a low preparation no deal.
    Last edited by zealo; 2018-08-09 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The EEA being a halfway stop is better than the alternative for both sides at this point, though.

In the EEA they could effectively delay a full exit until they have their infrastructure and institutions necessary set up, while no longer being a full member, with the added bonus of dodging the chaos of a low preparation no deal.
    The EEA isn't supposed to be a pit stop on your way out. I wouldn't endorse EEA membership just to buy more time.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Jersey option.

Jersey has a special relationship with the European Union (EU). In simple terms, the Island is treated as part of the European Union for the purposes of free trade in goods, but otherwise is not a part of the EU. The formal relationship is set out in Protocol 3 of the UK's 1972 Accession Treaty and confirmed in what is now Article 355 (5) (c) of the EU Treaties.

https://www.gov.je/Government/Depart...ipeuanduk.aspx

So the UK will be offered the same "special" status as the tax haven of Jeresy in a major capitulation by the EU. Crucially giving free trade of goods and taking away free movement of people, in effect turning the UK into one big tax haven island just off the coast of Europe.

Slice of cake anyone? Eurochums, do you wish you were special too?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The Jersey option.

Jersey has a special relationship with the European Union (EU). In simple terms, the Island is treated as part of the European Union for the purposes of free trade in goods, but otherwise is not a part of the EU. The formal relationship is set out in Protocol 3 of the UK's 1972 Accession Treaty and confirmed in what is now Article 355 (5) (c) of the EU Treaties.

https://www.gov.je/Government/Depart...ipeuanduk.aspx

So the UK will be offered the same "special" status as the tax haven of Jeresy in a major capitulation by the EU. Crucially giving free trade of goods and taking away free movement of people, in effect turning the UK into one big tax haven island just off the coast of Europe.

Slice of cake anyone? Eurochums, do you wish you were special too?
    So you're killing your service industry, stay in the customs union and call this a win?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Can't we just build a wall around the damn island and let em rot? Thats what they want right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So you're killing your service industry, stay in the customs union and call this a win?
    Two places in the world provide the services the EU cannot for itself. London and New York. It is free to choose either or none of those two options, the latter would mean immediate EU bankruptcy. What's your point?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Two places in the world provide the services the EU cannot for itself. London and New York. It is free to choose either or none of those two options, the latter would mean immediate EU bankruptcy. What's your point?
    My point? You brought up the jersey option. Apparently, once again, you don't know what you're talking about. The jersey option excludes freedom of movement, a requirement for passporting, but it includes staying within the customs union and therefore under ECJ jurisdiction. You call this a win.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.