Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I know my old man was a huge TOS fan and for years didnt like TNG. But eventually he came around and admitted it was just getting used to new actors, new style, and newer TV methods. From then on DS9 and Voyager worked for him. I feel I went though the same with Discovery. At first I really didnt like it. In a lot of ways I still don't. But after a rewatch I found it a lot better. Just getting used to the new ways. Sure it might have been better to avoid the whole past time line thing and avoid a lot of retconning but that's just how it is.

He was always the best captain.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    i don't watch Discovery TNG was the last Starterk i enjoyed since then they have just been getting worse so i stopped watching
    You are not answering my question. In what way TNG was "addressing issues" while Discovery is "shoving those issues"?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'll be watching it when it becomes available on anything else. I despise the "everyone pulling their content away from a centralized source like Netflix so they can all try and have their own services to milk money out of people" bullshit that's been going on for years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I'll be watching it when it becomes available on anything else. I despise the "everyone pulling their content away from a centralized source like Netflix so they can all try and have their own services to milk money out of people" bullshit that's been going on for years now.
    Well, that's called the capitalist system. An economic system based on a thing called competition. If Netflix makes money with a great idea, you can be sure that other people will want to break the monopoly. I actually agree with that. Why should CBS (or HBO, or ABC, or Disney) allow Netflix to make money with the shows they produce, while Netflix is producing its own shows that are competing with their own productions? The monopolization of advertisement by the likes of Netflix, Facebook and Google is also a plague on local media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Well, that's called the capitalist system. An economic system based on a thing called competition. If Netflix makes money with a great idea, you can be sure that other people will want to break the monopoly. I actually agree with that. Why should CBS (or HBO, or ABC, or Disney) allow Netflix to make money with the shows they produce, while Netflix is producing its own shows that are competing with their own productions? The monopolization of advertisement by the likes of Netflix, Facebook and Google is also a plague on local media.
    Because it's bad for the consumer. Sure, businesses get to make more money, but when a dozen different producers all have their own subscription service, suddenly you're paying twelve times what you were plus Netflix costs. What they should've been doing was playing hardball with Netflix on contract terms to get more bang for their buck, and then offered to invest in Netflix for a greater share in the company and more control over it, offering up additional shows as leverage. Prices would inevitably go up for subscribers, but it would still be much more manageable than trying to get packages for every single show you want to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Because it's bad for the consumer. Sure, businesses get to make more money, but when a dozen different producers all have their own subscription service, suddenly you're paying twelve times what you were plus Netflix costs. What they should've been doing was playing hardball with Netflix on contract terms to get more bang for their buck, and then offered to invest in Netflix for a greater share in the company and more control over it, offering up additional shows as leverage. Prices would inevitably go up for subscribers, but it would still be much more manageable than trying to get packages for every single show you want to watch.
    Monopoly is bad for the consumer. With more competition, the companies will have to lower their subscription eventualy. Besides, if Netflix is the only provider, how could HBO, CBS et al. have leverage to get better conditions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Monopoly is bad for the consumer. With more competition, the companies will have to lower their subscription eventualy. Besides, if Netflix is the only provider, how could HBO, CBS et al. have leverage to get better conditions?
    Except none of them are lowering their subscription costs... if anything, costs have been going up not down.

And this is something they would've had to have done from the start, they can't do it now. If enough companies had yanked their shows from Netflix, Netflix wouldn't have anything worth watching, therefore Netflix would have to deal with the companies and compromise with them.

And yes, monopolies are bad, but so is over-saturating the market. If it had come down to just a handful of strong platforms, each representing many different producers and lots of companies, that would've been ideal for everyone. Instead we're getting every company and their grandma trying to come up with an internet-based streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post

I'm concerned is all, because even though he was very clear. He "may not, and I stress be captain", *listen to the crowd reaction after he says that* and he "may not" be the Jean-Luc you remember. "It will be something, I guarantee. Something very, very different". I hope the fans accept and open to an aged and possible less optimistic Picard. Because think of all his experiences, and it is going to affect the character. Some of the fans are going to be upset.
    Yeah, that statement is very concerning. I do not understand why these creators feel the need to fuck up beloved, decades old icons.

They're reusing these characters because they are popular, because it's easier than creating a new iconic character. If they're gonna do that, they need to respect who the character is and not just rehire Patrick Stewart to play a totally different character they just happen to call Picard. Nobody wants to see Picard get the Luke Skywalker treatment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what kind of show it will be. I doubt he will still be a captain on a Starship. Maybe a space station or starfleet headquarters? Perhaps he is retired running a luxury cruiser like the Love Boat? Winemaker?
    Last edited by zEmini; 2018-08-06 at 05:52 PM.

Deleted
    "It will be something, I guarantee. Something very, very different". I hope the fans accept and open to an aged and possible less optimistic Picard.
    Do your dark dystopian trek if you want to, but somting is fundamentally wrong if your idea need to cannibalize a previous star trek series to be viable. One more thing you do not seem to have confidence in your own stroy becuse Picard (Patrick Stewart) is the only information... not what the show is about...

If you listen to the rest of the announcement. I don't think Patrick Stewart would have returned otherwise. Now I can see some people's point to leave it alone. People don't like they could change a character they grew up with. I however really enjoy character development, and for it not to always confirm, but be practical with what they've been through. I don't see how a character like Jean-Luc Picard could still be the same optimistic person we first meet in season one of TNG.
    Not after the dominion war. I hope this is a testing grounds to finally take the series forward. I'm sick of prequels. Take a chance, move forward. There's so much to tell, rebuilding stories after a devastating war. The Federation overcoming the lost innocence. That kinda stuff. So rich in potentiality.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

If you listen to the rest of the announcement. I don't think Patrick Stewart would have returned otherwise. Now I can see some people's point to leave it alone. People don't like they could change a character they grew up with. I however really enjoy character development, and for it not to always confirm, but be practical with what they've been through. I don't see how a character like Jean-Luc Picard could still be the same optimistic person we first meet in season one of TNG.
    If they do something as dramatic as was done with Skywalker it will fail. I'm not against character development, but this isn't some minor character that had very little screen time who gets an update later (like O'Brian), this is the feature character of a series that spanned 7 years of episodes and then an additional 7 more of movies. His character has been laid.

To me, whatever this series is meant to be, it would have been better to have been featured around Benjamin Sisko. His character would be the Trek fan jumping back into a universe we left 20 years prior. The problem would be having to recast Sisko as I don't think Avery Brooks could pull off a 40 year old man.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, Stewart has such range as an actor I don't think anyone else could pull it off. Putting Picard in a sitcom set at a Risa Retirement Community is really boldly going where ST hasn't gone before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of people are making the Star Wars comparison, part of the problem there is only having a few minutes of screen time to go over it, while this show would have ten episodes or so. If the format is starting with Picard in a rut, and spending some time seeing how he got there and how he's getting out of it, that would be fine with me.
    /s

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    If they do something as dramatic as was done with Skywalker it will fail.
    They MUST do somthing drastic becuse license money. If CBS do a TNG Picard, Viacom??? get the money for the merchandises outside the TV show, if they do a radical different Picard that have no real conection to TNG CBS get the money for the merchandises outside the TV show.

So it is in CBS best economy intrest to "shit" on classic Star Trek lore. The licence problem is messy.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    part of the problem there is only having a few minutes of screen time to go over it, while this show would have ten episodes or so.
    Is it a healthy signal that the can only show the star and nothing about the consept/story...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Is it a healthy signal that the can only show the star and nothing about the consept/story...
    It was pretty clear from the announcement that it was very early on, all they've done is talk about storylines. It would be silly to infer anything else.
    /s

this is excelent news tbh, star trek being my favorite sci fi franchise, except for the trainwreck called discovery. we may finally get a good star trek show and that makes me happy
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Honestly Patrick Stewart is such an amazing actor im confident they could do anything with Picard in any setting and it will be an absolute pleasure to watch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It was pretty clear from the announcement that it was very early on, all they've done is talk about storylines. It would be silly to infer anything else.
    So first get the actor and then get the stroy.... still not a good signal.