Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why is it wrong to be afraid of mentally ill people?

Twenty studies were identified, the total number of schizophrenia and other psychoses cases in the reviewed studies was 18,423. Of these cases, 1,832 (9.9%) were violent. These cases were compared with 1,714,904 individuals in the general population, of whom 27,185 (1.6%) were violent. The systematic review found that risk of violent outcomes was increased in individuals with schizophrenia.
    Source: www.ohrn.nhs.uk/OHRNResearch/MIviolence.pdf

There is a popular perception that mentally ill people are kind souls who would never do anything wrong. You have events like Asylum Jam that are aimed at destigmatizing mental illness. The whole left side of the political spectrum seems to give undue praise to people with mental illnesses instead of delving into the reality of actually having a dysfunctional brain.

I'm not saying that mentally ill people should be demonized and locked up. But when you are surrounded by 150 pound murder machines all day long, you want them to be piloted by consciousnesses that are in 100% control of their actions. If a piece of equipment is in any way remotely dangerous, you have a thousand personal safety warnings coming along with it. If a person is more prone to violence, shouldn't you be more cautious around them?

And this is just the violent cases. You have thousands upon thousands of mentally ill individuals (such as incels and 4chaners) who harass and bully people all day long and they go undiagnosed. Even a sane person is dangerous. People need to be aware that mentally ill people don't act the way you would expect normal people to act and therefore you need to approach them with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I'm not saying that mentally ill people should be demonized and locked up.
    "I'm just asking why it would be wrong to demonize and lock them up."

This argument could be made about Black people and it would be equally fucked up. You're generalizing an entire group because of a minority. Something isn't right with you man.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Because mentally ill is a broad term, there's many types of mental disorders and such.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    This argument could be made about Black people and it would be equally fucked up. You're generalizing an entire group because of a minority. Something isn't right with you man.
    Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. You just compared black people to bipolars and schizophrenics.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Because mentally ill is a broad term, there's many types of mental disorders and such.
    This, if you believe all mentally ill are dangerous you need to read up more on the subject.

Deleted
    Don't think I have exactly heard that you shouldn't be fearful of them, but nonetheless, fear does have the tendency to lead to irrational behaviour and unforeseen consequences.

Say for example, you are in a bar, and you see someone that is schizophrenic, and because you fear what said person might do you question the owner to have them removed from the bar. This might trigger said schizophrenic to act out on it violently for whatever reason that might.

Also, just to note, mentally ill people might be more violent than the general population, but do also know that they are also one of the most prominent groups to be the victim of violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This, if you believe all mentally ill are dangerous you need to read up more on the subject.
    A dysfunctional brain in control of a 150 pound murder machine is dangerous no matter how you spin it.

Considering one could also call someone with depression mentally ill I'd say you'd need to be a bit of a whimp if you are afraid of someone who is chronically depressed.

Now if it is someone with mental issues and a history of violent outbursts then caution would be reasonable I think.

Deleted
    I would suggest you actually read the paper

A dysfunctional brain in control of a 150 pound murder machine is dangerous no matter how you spin it.
    Being afraid of someone who is mentally ill is idiotic if said mental illness isn't an actually threat to others. Someone who is chronically depressed is probably not gonna shank you for looking at that person funny.

A fully functional brain in control of 150 pound "murder machine" can be just as or even more dangerous. Humans are dangerous.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "I'm just asking why it would be wrong to demonize and lock them up."
    Think you nailed the point of the thread right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Thats the dumbest thing i ever heard. You just compared black people to bipolars and schizophrenics.
    That's not what I said you know that.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I wonder if the OP knows how people feel about his brain?

On a whole, mentally ill people are not significantly more likely to be criminals than the general population:

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...ess-crime.aspx

However, they are more likely to be the victims of crimes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1389236/

The danger in treating mentally ill people as dangerous is that it essentially abolishes the right to trial by jury.
    If you want to make someone go away forever, all you need is a single corrupt or incompetent doctor to say they're mentally ill. No one will question it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Being afraid of someone who is mentally ill is idiotic if said mental illness isn't an actually threat to others. Someone who is chronically depressed is probably not gonna shank you for looking at that person funny.
    Who's more likely to be a school shooter? An outgoing jock who parties with his friends or a depressed loner who contemplates suicide every day?

Deleted
    Who's more likely to be a school shooter? An outgoing jock who parties with his friends or a depressed loner who contemplates suicide every day?
    Jocks get in plenty of fights though.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I wonder if the OP knows how people feel about his brain?
    He seems really threatened by 150 pound people, suggesting that is far more than he is. I wonder if it's a good time pointing out, that anorexia is a mental disorder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    He seems really threatened by 150 pound people, suggesting that is far more than he is. I wonder if it's a good time pointing out, that anorexia is a mental disorder?
    Maybe he's afraid of men who are 5'4"