Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Zandalar reminds me of Wakanda

Is it me or are the Zandlari accents African, east african i think, while the trolls are jamaican iish.. ait reminded me of Black Panther and Wakanda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I heard a lot of people comparing Zandalar and the Zandalari to Wakanda and the "Black Panther" movie in General last night - I think there are a lot of parallels, but given the time-frame I'm wondering if it's Blizzard's way of homage or if its a coincidence (or just an inference by the players). Regardless, Dave Fennoy's voice must've been tired from all that different VO work, I'm pretty sure I heard about a dozen or so variations of his voice.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Inca/Mayan architecture reminds you of Africa?

Purely coincidental.

Maybe it's because of Zandalar Forever achievement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

In Shadows of the Horde it was stated by Vol'jin that trolls from different areas do have different accents in Zandali. It’s nice to see a variation of their speech pattern.

It's Central/South America, not Africa

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It reminds me of the Aztec/Inca and the Jamaicans... not really Wakanda..

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Inca/Mayan architecture reminds you of Africa?
    We wuzzing at its worst.

The only thing i dont like about Blizzard its thats an american company who always tries to feed on 'merican trends, like we wuzzing central amercian/andean cultures
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyAnatoliy View Post
    It's Central/South America, not Africa
    The voice actors are definitely black, and they're doing african accents.

7+ Year Old Account
    they did for purpose exactly because of the movie

10+ Year Old Account
    The Troll faith's real-world correlate of Vodou itself begun in Africa and made its way across the Atlantic, so it makes sense that a fantasy correlate could stir the themes from the various cultures and bring then together. Particularly as the Zandalari are the progenitors of Carribeanesque trolls... Makes more sense than mixing Russian accents with Indian culture in the Draenei anyway.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Deleted
    On this thread, the Incas and Mayans are Africans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    The voice actors are definitely black, and they're doing african accents.
    Because Caribbean Voodoo, not because they are based on some made up African Kingdom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he mostly means their voicework is reminiscent of the African accents in Black Panther... something I agree with! I'd wager it was a deliberate choice by Blizzard and a fitting one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Maybe it's because of Zandalar Forever achievement?
    That, and the fact that the king even has a recorded line of "Zandalar Forever" -- that's where I got the panther vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    On this thread, the Incas and Mayans are Africans.

- - - Updated - - -

Because Caribbean Voodoo, not because they are based on some made up African Kingdom.
    There's no such thing as caribbean voodoo. Black people were brought from africa by slavers, Yoruba(their religion) came with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Is it me or are the Zandlari accents African, east african i think, while the trolls are jamaican iish.. ait reminded me of Black Panther and Wakanda.
    the zandalari have an aesthetic based on the great civilizations pre-Columbian of American continent and a religion based on voodoo

It reminds me more of the Flintstones since they co-exist with dinosaurs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    There's no such thing as caribbean voodoo. Black people were brought from africa by slavers, Yoruba(their religion) came with them.
    And yet, the accents aren't African, they are Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    And yet, the accents aren't African, they are Caribbean.
    Are you actually serious?

Whatever, have a good day.