Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it even possible to find a solution to the AH/Gb problems on Full realms?

So I play on a 'Full' realm, second highest population in EU, and for over a year now the AH and guild bank have been extremely slow. With the BfA release the guild bank doesn't work at all and AH is worse than ever.
    This has been my realm since I started playing in 2005 and I really don't want to transfer away(and it cost a shit ton of money), but I like gold making so it's a big issue for me.

This is a huge issue on all high pop realms:
    https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...6976922?page=1
    https://youtu.be/4eRiCbtiF6U - even worse if you're searching for items that have lots of pages, such as BfA items

So excluding the obvious things such as closing transfers to the realm and open free transfers off the realm - aswell as completely reworking how the AH works and building it up from the ground up like they've talked about - is there anything they can actually do about this problem?
    I don't know anything about making a game, coding, etc, but is there anything they can actually do "behind the scenes" so to speak?
    Blizzard has been "investigating" this issue for almost a year now with no solution. Is it even possible to find a solution other than waiting it out until the expansion-release-hype dies out and people stop playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    So I play on a 'Full' realm, second highest population in EU, and for over a year now the AH and guild bank have been extremely slow. With the BfA release the guild bank doesn't work at all and AH is worse than ever.
    This has been my realm since I started playing in 2005 and I really don't want to transfer away(and it cost a shit ton of money), but I like gold making so it's a big issue for me.

https://youtu.be/4eRiCbtiF6U - even worse if you're searching for items that have lots of pages, such as BfA items

So excluding the obvious things such as closing transfers to the realm and open free transfers off the realm - aswell as completely reworking how the AH works and building it up from the ground up like they've talked about - is there anything they can actually do about this problem?
    I don't know anything about making a game, coding, etc, but is there anything they can actually do "behind the scenes" so to speak?
    Blizzard has been "investigating" this issue for almost a year now with no solution. Is it even possible to find a solution other than waiting it out until the expansion-release-hype dies out and people stop playing?
    There's no reason why the AH wouldn't work well if it were done like Diablo III's, but that would presumably require a complete redesign of the feature.

Just in case anybody is quick to bash D3's AH, consider that the game had hundreds of thousands of players on at any given time at it's release and the AH served the entirety of NA simultaneously.

Over a year? try several expansions. Was bad in cata.

Guild bank is probably not going to get fixed since rumors going around it was used to dupe items

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm..

I play on Argent Dawn EU, my auction house works fine but the Guild bank is slow but works.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Small indie company, dude.

TSM is killing the Auction House on high pop realms and it's borderline a bot program but let's disable WQGF because that's the real problem with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by fishoa View Post
    Small indie company, dude.

TSM is killing the Auction House on high pop realms and it's borderline a bot program but let's disable WQGF because that's the real problem with the game.
    People saying this over and over again isn't going to make any of it true. The addon isn't causing the lag issue nor is it remotely close to botting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    People saying this over and over again isn't going to make any of it true. The addon isn't causing the lag issue nor is it remotely close to botting.
    It would be safe to assume that the AH issues are directly related to the amount of AH interactions, and that longbois (5M AH mount) and TSM/Auctioneer/Auctionator are directly contributing to slowing down the system by performing significantly wider searches than the default AH functionality does. Unless you're going to present at least a thesis as to why increased AH interaction doesn't slow down the AH (Just like any database would suffer under load heavier than it was designed for), your point is kind of flawed. That said, comparing it to botting is probably going too far as there's nothing preventing addons from interacting with the AH on our behalf.

Deleted

I'm sorry to say but if you think TSM has no cause of lag to the AH then I don't know what to say man. You're dumb ?

The programme slams the shit out of the API constantly and on Silvermoon EU there is literally easily 100 people standing in the AH at one time. A good 30% of those I reckon are running TSM which is literally slamming the API everytime they search for an item since it not only scans for the whole quantity on your server. It also compares prices to other servers and god knows what else. TSM is literally slowing stuff down, its not the ONLY thing. Its definitely a pretty big factor though for damn sure lmfao.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    It would be safe to assume that the AH issues are directly related to the amount of AH interactions, and that longbois (5M AH mount) and TSM/Auctioneer/Auctionator are directly contributing to slowing down the system by performing significantly wider searches than the default AH functionality does. Unless you're going to present at least a thesis as to why increased AH interaction doesn't slow down the AH (Just like any database would suffer under load heavier than it was designed for), your point is kind of flawed. That said, comparing it to botting is probably going too far as there's nothing preventing addons from interacting with the AH on our behalf.

I didn't say that increased interaction isn't the cause. In fact I'd say that it is. We're at the beginning of an expansion. That means more players. That means more auctions. Combine this with the number of people posting many, many single stack auctions (which means more pages to search through), and the fact that every single guide out there said to drop your professions, pick up herb/mining for the free XP and easy gold (which means even more posting) while leveling, and you have increased strain. On my server materials can have upwards of 45 pages

My issue is with the concept that the addon, which existed for years before now, searches differently than the player. In fact I'd argue that if TSM is a contributing factor as some claim, it is less so than in past years. In the past to get your auction house data you did full "get all" scans. That's not the case anymore. TSM users get their pricing data from the TSM desktop app, or from sites such as wowuction and tuj (although that one might not work for addons these days).

TSM existed before patch day and there were no issues. The issues only started with launch, when players started posting titanic numbers of items, often in ridiculous stack amounts. The addon hasn't changed yet other factors have. Yet people want to blame the addon. What next? Is TSM the cause of guild bank's being equally laggy/unresponsive?

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hmm..

I play on Argent Dawn EU, my auction house works fine but the Guild bank is slow but works.
    I play on AD as well but the AH is almost unusable. I haven't been to the Horde AH though.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post

yes there is - blizzard should have long ago forced players into posting only big stacks of materials - i.e 50+ . this alone would get rid of stupid "walls" that people on TSM put and speed it up immensly.

also they should block automatic posting of auctions - i dont mind tracking but automatic reposting with TSM ? should have been broken ages ago.

Pretty sure the scanning Addons and the possibility of spamming the AH with stacks of 1 (huge requests number) are slowing down the AH by a fuckton.

They should :
    1- Disable all AH-related addons.
    2- Forbid one-at-a-time selling. Only give the possibility to sell the actual packs you have in your bags. Want to sell 20 times one flower ? You have to split your flowers in your bags first.

But no, let's disable WQGF and probably ElvUI one day, these are probably the culprits

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    I didn't say that increased interaction isn't the cause. In fact I'd say that it is. We're at the beginning of an expansion. That means more players. That means more auctions. Combine this with the number of people posting many, many single stack auctions (which means more pages to search through), and the fact that every single guide out there said to drop your professions, pick up herb/mining for the free XP and easy gold (which means even more posting) while leveling, and you have increased strain. On my server materials can have upwards of 45 pages

My issue is with the concept that the addon, which existed for years before now, searches differently than the player. In fact I'd argue that if TSM is a contributing factor as some claim, it is less so than in past years. In the past to get your auction house data you did full "get all" scans. That's not the case anymore. TSM users get their pricing data from the TSM desktop app, or from sites such as wowuction and tuj (although that one might not work for addons these days).

TSM existed before patch day and there were no issues. The issues only started with launch, when players started posting titanic numbers of items, often in ridiculous stack amounts. The addon hasn't changed yet other factors have. Yet people want to blame the addon. What next? Is TSM the cause of guild bank's being equally laggy/unresponsive?
    There were issues before the patch. Not as massive as it is currently, but AH+GB were slow.

----
    But is TSM making guild banks slow aswell, or are guild banks slow because the AH is slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Pubestache View Post
    I'm sorry to say but if you think TSM has no cause of lag to the AH then I don't know what to say man. You're dumb ?
    :lol: The complete irony here delicious.

The programme slams the shit out of the API constantly and on Silvermoon EU there is literally easily 100 people standing in the AH at one time.
    Not a program. It searches whenever the player hits search. Exactly how the base AH operates.

A good 30% of those I reckon are running TSM which is literally slamming the API everytime they search for an item since it not only scans for the whole quantity on your server.
    So we're calling other people dumb (with lousy grammar on top of it) and using made up figures to buttress our argument? Cool. Fact: TSM reduces server lag by keleven percent.

It also compares prices to other servers
    How does the comparison to other servers affect the AH? It isn't a live number. The addon draws from an outside site that scans the AH and stores that data. Those scans are on a schedule. That schedule isn't any different than it was before launch. Its not like every time you do a price comparison your addon is doing an instant search on every server there is.

and god knows what else. TSM is literally slowing stuff down, its not the ONLY thing. Its definitely a pretty big factor though for damn sure lmfao.
    You're saying here that you don't know what the addon does and don't know how it is causing a slowdown, yet you're still blaming it.

Deleted
    Addons aren't the problem. If anything, they're the only thing keeping things together.

People spamming 1's of items, and repeated AH scanning is what's causing the slow down.

Not to mention the vast number of people now on due to the new expansion being released.

Only solution I see for Blizz to fix it, is to shut down the AH for, I'd say, a week, while they transition to whatever solution they can come up with.

Limiting vast scans and 1 stacks would sure go a long way however.

EU-Draenor AH is basically un-useable, same for the guild bank.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    yes there is - blizzard should have long ago forced players into posting only big stacks of materials - i.e 50+ . this alone would get rid of stupid "walls" that people on TSM put and speed it up immensly.
    I agree with this. having to search through dozens of pages of single posts just to find a stack of 5 herbs, let alone a full stack, is a problem.

also they should block automatic posting of auctions - i dont mind tracking but automatic reposting with TSM ? should have been broken ages ago.
    There is nothing automatic about it. You still have to interact to post each individual auction. All the addon is doing is setting the price for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody can say anything about it, really. Only WoW developers has full information. It's either lack of resources, so they have more important tasks (most players don't even use AH regularly) or system is just too hard and old for proper fixing. Honestly I, as a software developer, don't see why this has to be the case. WoW AH is a very simple system and it could work well for entire region, there are many systems much more complex which serve much more requests. Any popular exchange serves tens of thousands of bots (each could issue multiple requests per second 24/7) and millions of people in real time with millisecond precision.

I think it's the former. AH is not a priority for Blizzard. WoW is not a game about economy, it's an auxiliary system which doesn't add much value. While you might think that AH is not working, I'm playing on Draenor-EU and it's usable for me. Sure, I'm spending 10 minutes instead of 1, but I can live with it. And this is the largest realm, for smaller realms problem probably does not even exist. They might add some simple band-aid solution like limiting stack size for some items, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in Legion alot folks were using addons like Auctionator and TSM, and many were posting stacks of 1, but AH were working fine on most realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    WoW does not allow to perform wider searches than default AH functionality does. Lua API exactly resembles default AH UI. You can't do anything that default UI can't (except downloading entire AH database). Actually that's a problem. With proper API you could use a single search request for required items. With limited WoW API you sometimes has to scan multiple pages just to find what you want.

To be honest I think the AH is due for an overhaul. At this point it’s got to be one of the few systems in game that’s never received a thorough rework right? I know they’ve implemented changes and improvements over the years, but it feels old and outdated.

As for the OP, I’m afraid I’ve got nothing to add. I avoid the AH as much as possible because of how slow it is, whether it’s because of addons or just my shitty computer/internet I have no idea, but I hope at some point in the future we see improvements on its reliability.