Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    There's no green stuff and demons running around, just for that BfA it's waaaaaaay better than Legion. And i love the Lovecraft vibe everywhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Thematically Blizzard had the same problem post-Wrath -- how to do follow up an iconic expansion with something compelling? We know they flubbed the storyline for Sylvannas and the burning of Teldrassil, but the pre-event can be easily forgotten if the game itself is fun.

The good:
    - Art design and music are top notch. Matching the quality bar set with Legion.
    - Some great quest chains. Bwon'Samdei and the Heart of Darkness were the best Horde side I feel.
    - Professions seem less grindy and more useful than Legion
    - Rep gain seems to be more manageable, especially with tokens at the mission table.

Indifferent:
    - Azurite power is meh? Just another set of ability unlocks. Feels like the old glyph mechanics ported to gear, unlocked by pseudo XP.
    - Art design is amazing, but horde side is almost all Troll all the time. Its the all-orc WoD problem again. Legion had much more variety in zones and aesthetic.
    - Dungeons are mediocre. Difficulty isn't an issue, but they're nothing special.

The bad:
    - Class balance is a mess. Worst its been in years. Yes it will be tuned, but when druids are leveling as bear and shaman as resto and demonology is awful they've got problems. Fortunately retribution was in decent shape as my main, and I gather warriors are great.
    - Lots of idle time in combat rotations. Maybe the GCD homogenization gets better with haste, but I see lots of times i'm just auto attacking.
    - 3 big zones, with dozens of fetch and kill quests. Leveling became tedious, this will be a very alt-unfriendly expansion. The push to 120 was brutal the first time through...i don't relish doing it again anytime soon.
    - Island Expeditions are tedious and boring with poor rewards. This is Pandaria scenarios all over again.

Several days after hitting the level cap, I found myself going back to Legion to finish up some rep grinds/achievements, and running old raids for transmog gear to break up the monotony. I don't even want to grind new rep, the world quests and dailies from Legion seem more compelling depite irrelevant rewards now.

Some content is coming in the next few weeks as it gradually gets unlocked, but I suspect I'll let my sub expire until one or two major patches come along to tune/tweak/add content. Not enough content to keep me playing, not enough good content to keep me interested.

Thoughts?

PS Will level an alliance toon next to see if the other side is better.
    how to do follow up an iconic expansion with something compelling? pls stooooop Wotlk was noooo that GREAT dont spread LIES

I am a 343 warrior, hit cap 7 hours in, let me tell you what I think of BfA:
    1. I love the zones, I think they're fantastic, but I enjoyed them less than Warlords zones. (Zones like Spires of Arak felt better)
    2. I thought the leveling was unfair for people without groups and some quests could have been made shorter/less monotonous. (leveling is broken in a group of 5)
    3. I love the dungeons, thematically they're fantastic. Mechanics are fine but the scaling is broken, some are too easy, some are unfinished and have zero mechanics.
    4. Professions are pretty much useless for gear progression, and Sanguicells are going to make things worthless/pointless.
    5. There are too many World Quests for someone to do in a single day and not feel bummed out doing it. (6 zones+ pre-reset)
    6. The faction rewards asides from the mounts are non-existent and in no way justify or make me feel good about grinding - it's only fun because I'm ahead.
    7. Old gods are going to be really cool thematically and be a great direction.
    8. Classes feel fine, I'm having fun, but I just think it would've been nice to see warlords style unlocking or ways to unlock a new ability, even if it was a class specific chain or something to unlock it.
    9. everything is too easy, and difficulty can be entirely negated by bugging things out (islands). dungeons just don't have enough mechanics on mythic, mythic+ should be out by now.
    10. everyone is currently rep and time gated by uldir materials, 1 week into the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    Classic burnout post.
    No offense to OP of course, but this is accurate. At this point, I think it's fair to say that BfA has proved itself. Perhaps the style of game has just died down on your side?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    No offense to OP of course, but this is accurate. At this point, I think it's fair to say that BfA has proved itself. Perhaps the style of game has just died down on your side?
    Or maybe OP has issues with some classes/specs feeling broken, scaling ruining the feeling of progression, inferior version of artifacts.

Liking BfA is fine and great, but being oblivious to issues this expansion has is asinine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlack View Post
    Or maybe OP has issues with some classes/specs feeling broken, scaling ruining the feeling of progression, inferior version of artifacts.

Liking BfA is fine and great, but being oblivious to issues this expansion has is asinine.
    Well, nowhere have I said this expansion is perfect. I've said it has proven itself. The core gameplay is solid, even if some of it is lacking.

I'm adressing his concern that this expansion is somehow more problematic than others. It's not the case and BfA is strong in itself.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Well, nowhere have I said this expansion is perfect. I've said it has proven itself. The core gameplay is solid, even if some of it is lacking.

I'm adressing his concern that this expansion is somehow more problematic than others. It's not the case and BfA is strong in itself.
    It's not the case for you. I feel beyond visual and audio every decision in BfA is a step down from legion, right from class design, to azerite, to GCD. Blaming this on him having burned himself is whisking away issues that are very real and are much more likely to cause his disinterest in the expansion.

10+ Year Old Account

I think you'll find that many of us disagree. The "core gameplay is solid" statement falls flat on its face when you look at the state of many of the current specs i.e Shadow, Ele, Feral etc etc, and the feeling that one of the most hyped pieces of "new content" (island expeditions) somehow manage to be even less engaging than MoP scenarios, which I personally wouldn't have believed possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlack View Post
    It's not the case for you. I feel beyond visual and audio every decision in BfA is a step down from legion, right from class design, to azerite, to GCD. Blaming this on him having burned himself is whisking away issues that are very real and are much more likely to cause his disinterest in the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    I think you'll find that many of us disagree. The "core gameplay is solid" statement falls flat on its face when you look at the state of many of the current specs i.e Shadow, Ele, Feral etc etc, and the feeling that one of the most hyped pieces of "new content" (island expeditions) somehow manage to be even less engaging than MoP scenarios, which I personally wouldn't have believed possible.
    Class design is an issue, but only for some classes. The removal of Artifact Weapons left many with a feeling of emptyness, which I understand completely. As someone who wanted to main Warrior this expansion... well, RIP. And the GCD change isn't really that great. Not a huge fan of the Azerite system personally either.

But that doesn't mean that the expansion is worse. Legion had very real issues at launch. Class balance, PvP balance, broken quests and WQ, overtuned bosses... It's nothing new. These things gets fixed during the expansion. 7.1 was fairly solid in term of balance, 7.2 too (except the overtuned boss part) and 7.3 was even better.

As for the Island Expedition, I respectfully disagree. It's one of my favorite piece of content. It's small, fast and rewarding. The gameplay is fun, the AI is clever and the world is constantly evolving. Honestly, I think a huge part of the future of WoW competitive content might happen on Island Expeditions. If not for PvE, for PvP.

Everything else is solid. Questing, professions, WQ, dungeons, WPvP, BGs, Honor System... The only thing I'm disappointed is the legacy loot system, which should've been activated in Legion content.
    Google Diversity Memo

Yeah, I think it's burnout, I'm experiencing a bit of it which is a shame, this expansion is much better than WoD already, an expansion that made me unsub. I'm a bit burned out, but not from the new content, just the grinds. I just finished Highmountain, unlocked it, created one and then can't even stand to look at it, let alone level it because I'm like "I got like 3 tauren toons... why did I do all this work for one with tattoos and antlers?" Then I realize I'm leveling to 120 just so I can unlock... orcs with tattoos and dwarves with fiery hair and eyes. Really makes me wish the allied races had been a little more different like Furbolgs and Tuskarr instead of just re-skins. But I'm still enjoying, playing at a pace I'm satisfied with but most of all looking forward to Kul'tirans and Zandalar the most, and then the Azshara patch because though I love the new continents, the faction war bores me.
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2018-08-25 at 02:53 PM.

Deleted
    Class design is an issue, but only for some classes. The removal of Artifact Weapons left many with a feeling of emptyness, which I understand completely. As someone who wanted to main Warrior this expansion... well, RIP. And the GCD change isn't really that great. Not a huge fan of the Azerite system personally either.

But that doesn't mean that the expansion is worse. Legion had very real issues at launch. Class balance, PvP balance, broken quests and WQ, overtuned bosses... It's nothing new. These things gets fixed during the expansion. 7.1 was fairly solid in term of balance, 7.2 too (except the overtuned boss part) and 7.3 was even better.

As for the Island Expedition, I respectfully disagree. It's one of my favorite piece of content. It's small, fast and rewarding. The gameplay is fun, the AI is clever and the world is constantly evolving. Honestly, I think a huge part of the future of WoW competitive content might happen on Island Expeditions. If not for PvE, for PvP.

Everything else is solid. Questing, professions, WQ, dungeons, WPvP, BGs, Honor System... The only thing I'm disappointed is the legacy loot system, which should've been activated in Legion content.
    People get used to be fed with good quality, take that away and they are like 6 y.o. with tantrums.
    BfA feels good so far, not overhelming, classes I play are fine. I feel bad for druids, but class design was always a problem at some level. SP deals good damage, just plays like shit, same as poor ferals in legion or hunters for until early class changes. It will get fixed, they have stated that, can't people wait instead of "I WANT MY CANDY NOW" attitude? If I was game dev. these kind of people would make me hate gaming community...
    BUT WE HAD BETA TESTING?!!!! LAZY DEVS!!! yea, they on purpose ignore stuff there are deadliness to meet. Imagine playerbase who dont play SP/ferals/enchs... Would they care to delay launch?? I wouldn't for sure.
    I like AP alot as it is a paragon level, gives you actual power upon leveling. Something to work towards. People were talking about prestige levels since MoP I think. Some don't. Same with Islands, epic adventure, I had a blast with my guuildmates in mythics, damn pulls Dev Q&A stated it was not supposed to be grinded tho.
    looking forwards m+, lot to learn! tons of mechanics, pulls and skips
    so yea, there is that... not everyone sees "game breaking problems" as game breaking, just inconvenient. If there are 500 people, there are 500 different opinions of what game should be, figure this out

P.S. WarMode is a blast, this assassin hunt thing is awesome. Might be just on launch thing, but still I feel like FOP THE HORDE while I head down with my party to help players is a quest hub

If you're going back to legion for any reason but the portals then you are doing BFA wrong, i spend 3-5hours doing all the daily rep grind.

You're not unique in "not feeling it" yet sticking around all the same. Not even close, been the case for certain individuals in every expansion ever made.

I'm very much feeling it, even after 9 years of never lapsed sub!

15+ Year Old Account
    One day played at 120 and I agree. Pretty much just waiting for the raid to come out, otherwise the guild doesn't do anything together because there is nothing else to do as a guild other than roleplay and raid.

I guess we could all queue up for AV or something as a guild, but even that sounds stupid (no reward).

WoW is getting stale fundamentally (the engine is so long in the tooth) and there's almost nothing they can do about it other than just make WoW 2.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Thematically Blizzard had the same problem post-Wrath -- how to do follow up an iconic expansion with something compelling? We know they flubbed the storyline for Sylvannas and the burning of Teldrassil, but the pre-event can be easily forgotten if the game itself is fun.

The good:
    - Art design and music are top notch. Matching the quality bar set with Legion.
    - Some great quest chains. Bwon'Samdei and the Heart of Darkness were the best Horde side I feel.
    - Professions seem less grindy and more useful than Legion
    - Rep gain seems to be more manageable, especially with tokens at the mission table.

Indifferent:
    - Azurite power is meh? Just another set of ability unlocks. Feels like the old glyph mechanics ported to gear, unlocked by pseudo XP.
    - Art design is amazing, but horde side is almost all Troll all the time. Its the all-orc WoD problem again. Legion had much more variety in zones and aesthetic.
    - Dungeons are mediocre. Difficulty isn't an issue, but they're nothing special.

The bad:
    - Class balance is a mess. Worst its been in years. Yes it will be tuned, but when druids are leveling as bear and shaman as resto and demonology is awful they've got problems. Fortunately retribution was in decent shape as my main, and I gather warriors are great.
    - Lots of idle time in combat rotations. Maybe the GCD homogenization gets better with haste, but I see lots of times i'm just auto attacking.
    - 3 big zones, with dozens of fetch and kill quests. Leveling became tedious, this will be a very alt-unfriendly expansion. The push to 120 was brutal the first time through...i don't relish doing it again anytime soon.
    - Island Expeditions are tedious and boring with poor rewards. This is Pandaria scenarios all over again.

Several days after hitting the level cap, I found myself going back to Legion to finish up some rep grinds/achievements, and running old raids for transmog gear to break up the monotony. I don't even want to grind new rep, the world quests and dailies from Legion seem more compelling depite irrelevant rewards now.

Some content is coming in the next few weeks as it gradually gets unlocked, but I suspect I'll let my sub expire until one or two major patches come along to tune/tweak/add content. Not enough content to keep me playing, not enough good content to keep me interested.

Thoughts?

PS Will level an alliance toon next to see if the other side is better.
    You sound like you have barely played and expect the full experience. It's the easiest to level right now. I got 5 levels out of Zuldazar, 4 levels out of Vold, and the last from Naz. All within 3 days.

It took me a week to get to max in cata and that was 5 levels.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really touched Zandalar yet other than for World Quests so I might be wrong in saying this (as my main is Alliance) but doesn't the fox and snake people live in Vol'dun? I know there technically is Trolls there too but doesn't Vol'dun at least kinda break up the all Troll thing?

Also, I would say even though Zandalar is all Troll for the most part visually all 3 zones are wildly different and Nazmir in particular has an entirely different tribe of Trolls with a way different aesthetic to them where as in Kul Tiras most of it just blends together outside of a few spots in Drustvar and I'm not knocking Kul Tiras either because I love that place but I don't really see how you could get bored from Zandalar being "all troll" as you put it when Blizzard seems to have gone out of their way to make it as interesting as they possibly can even with a mostly Troll theme.

Think I'll call it quits with WoW. Nothing to do with the expansion, but rather simply not having the time anymore. Sure I'll pop in now and then, but I won't bother going out of my way for collectables and achievements, just there to see the happenings of the game.

Going to revert back to a pick up and play mantra where I don't have to worry about keeping up with others. Red Dead Redemption 2 and Dragon Quest XI are coming out soon.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-08-25 at 03:34 PM.

for the first time in a long time I've started to lose interest a bit; i don't think i could ever fully walk away though as i love wow too much
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)