Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Anduin lives in the shadow of Varian's legacy

I'm not too happy about Anduin's skills of tactical planning - I bet he doesn't play chess. Many bashed him for his decisions and mistakes during the Siege of Lordaeron - he marched his army there like a student,who went to exam without any decent preparation. But I don't blame only him - actually,it's mainly fault of his advisors,who,by the way,are way more experienced in warfare than him. What I realize now,is that the way he is portrayed is correct and right and here's why:

He wasn't prepared to bear the kings crown so early. It's like was taught basics in physics,and suddenly,everybody expects from him to build a rocket. How could he predict such turn of events? During WoD,Varian is alive and healthy,who would have known,that the Legion will attack the Azeroth? Yes, all his life he was taught and prepared for the kingship,but there were some many he yet still had to learn about it and so many things to understand. We even don't know if he ever wanted to be a king - probably, he didn't want to bear the crown at all,just like he didn't want to and wasn't fit and actually interested to become a warrior. Anduin now is without a life experience,until this moment,he didn't see the war with his own eyes, he only heard about it in stories and it's naturally,that he is making mistakes. Besides you know his nature - he always tries to see good in people and believes,that no matter how bad the person is,there's always some in good him - just remember his visit to Garrosh before his trial.

He is naive,and he is learning - if he would be super skilled tactician and battlemaster in his age - that would actually be idiotic. Only after what happened to Teldrassil he realized,that there's no way to reason with Sylvanas,which means,that until that moment he believed,that there can be peace. I think,that in time,he will become a fine leader. For now,I see him as a guy,who lost his father,inherited the kingdom with huge responsibilities and was outright thrown into war,without a proper moment to think of what's right and what's wrong.
    Last edited by Felixon; 2018-08-30 at 05:54 AM.

Anduin is new Alexander The Great in Blizzard's opinion.

Varian proved his worth and was basically 'elected' High King of the alliance. Anduin hasn't done that and shouldn't automatically be granted an 'elected' position. It isn't a hereditary position to be leader of the full alliance. It is hereditary to be leader of stormwind though. Realistically, the leaders should have come together and tried to figure out the best course of action for leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Varian proved his worth and was basically 'elected' High King of the alliance. Anduin hasn't done that and shouldn't automatically be granted an 'elected' position. It isn't a hereditary position to be leader of the full alliance. It is hereditary to be leader of stormwind though. Realistically, the leaders should have come together and tried to figure out the best course of action for leadership.
    I totally agree with you. Makes no sense,that he's leading the Alliance only cause his father did. It's right,that he's the King of Stormwind,but he shouldn't be the leader of the Alliance. But I guess,in the current situation the Alliance has no better candidate - dwarves don't appear anywhere at all - getting a feeling,that Blizzard forgot about them; Tyrande only cares about Malfurion's healing;Velen - it seems to me,that he doesn't care about what's happening - he got his revenge on the Burning Legion and it seems,that this faction war for him seems like a minor issue; Genn is staying by Anduin's side all the time,and I actually don't think,that he should become the high king of the Alliance with his rash nature and blind hunger for vengeance; the lightbound and the ren'dorei are new and can't be considered as serious candidates; Mekkatorque - don't think,that he even has an ambition to lead; Aysa - well,Blizzard is ignoring the pandaren in general,so,we have what we have.
    Last edited by Felixon; 2018-08-30 at 07:47 AM.

Deleted
    Anduin can only dream of having such an amazing square jawline and manly chin.

True story: the Stormwind statue budget had to be increased to be able to buy enough marble to sculpt the kings chin in the right proportion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I think anduin lives in shadow of the fact that he is one of top 10 whitest characters across all media franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

True story: the Stormwind statue budget had to be increased to be able to buy enough marble to sculpt the kings chin in the right proportion.
    Statue was made by dwarves as gift.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Varian still died in vain, his ultimate quest - to surpass Deathwing's chin - left unfulfilled.

Still, not expecting Sylvanas to use the blight is like not expecting water to be wet.
    Last edited by Haven; 2018-08-30 at 01:27 PM.

It is, after all, why Sylvanas decided to strike now.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Varian still died in vain, his ultimate quest - to surpass Deathwing's chin - left unfulfilled.

Still, not expecting Sylvanas to use the blight is like not expecting water to be wet.
    I don't think any expected Sylvanas NOT to use the blight. What I'm sure no one expected was to use the blight while her own forces were still on the battlefield

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

Varian's ideal self:

Just imagine it in blue and gold.

Let's be real. Anduin is dying in BFA. Sylvanas will raise him as undead and under decent leadership he will be great priest. There is only one problem. He will have to name change to Anduin The Boiking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenis View Post
    Let's be real. Anduin is dying in BFA. Sylvanas will raise him as undead and under decent leadership he will be great priest. There is only one problem. He will have to name change to Anduin The Boiking.
    Thankfully we know he will live to be a old man, so this trash will never happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Thankfully we know he will live to be a old man, so this trash will never happen!
    Instead, the other trash will happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Varian's ideal self:

Just imagine it in blue and gold.
    Somebody should totally do a Most Epic Chin poll at some point and see who comes out on top LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    That's in another universe. He will live to be a old man in WoD universe.

Deleted
    That's a fake chin! Varian's chin remains unmatched

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Yes, he does. As the Blizzard devs implied, Anduin was eager to show his "manhood" and be the big badass fighter who surrenders to no villain like his father was...even though he's not his father, not yet and probably never will, at least not to the extent Anduin himself would like. I think it was particularly significant how, when Saurfang criticized Anduin for not truthfully understanding what "honor" was and questioned whether Anduin ever sacrificed anything for his people, Anduin replied that his father made that very sacrifice for the Alliance. Yes, his father. But Anduin is not his father, in every conceivable sense. And probably because of that, he's so incredibly desperate to prove to himself otherwise, even though desperation can often lead to failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenis View Post
    That's in another universe. He will live to be a old man in WoD universe.
    There's also of course nothing to say Anduin cannot die now and then be resurrected much later in the future for this vision to still be canonically true. Look how many major characters in WoW lore have died and been brought back over the last 14 years. When you think about it like this, Blizzard could certainly throw a massive curveball by making use of this and killing Anduin in the present, while still remaining true in the future. Imagine the drama and excitement, that could be great!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Yes, he does. As the Blizzard devs implied, Anduin was eager to show his "manhood" and be the big badass fighter who bows to no enemy like his father...even though he's not his father, not yet and probably never will, at least not to the extent Anduin himself would like. I think it was particularly significant how, when Saurfang criticized Anduin for not truthfully understanding what "honor" was and questioned whether Anduin ever sacrificed anything for his people, Anduin replied that his father made that very sacrifice for the Alliance. Yes, his father. But Anduin is not his father, in every conceivable sense. And probably because of that, he's so incredibly desperate to prove to himself otherwise, even though desperation can often lead to failure.
    But he can't show his "manhood" (hehehehehehe innuendo) because that would be toxic masculinity. And christie "my precious son" golden (praise to her) will never allow it.