Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Angry Azeroth map and scaling

Is it just me that is greatly annoyed by the fact that this is not scaled properly? Looking at the map from azeroth-view, zandalar is almost as big as Pandaria, while Kul'Tiras is almost as big as the Broken Isles. This clearly isnt the case. In fact, in reality you would have to combine kul'tiras & zandalar to get about 78% of the size of Broken Isles, while still smalling, they are no where near Pandaria.

Thoughts on this ?

I agree. There is no reason for them to be so fucking big. They could have just made them smaller on the map, it makes no sense.

It looks a little ugly, yeah. I feel like they should throw the islands being ingame-mass appropriate out the window and properly portray kul tiras and zandalar as relatively small islands. These locations all have very different sizes lore-wise so they really don't need to stick to such a bloated looking world map.

The bigger they are the easier it is to click.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
    That's a weird af arguement. You know you can zoom the map right?

7+ Year Old Account
    ....... it really does not bother me O.o This is what happends when you make maps, just look at the current world map of earth, its size is completly wacked
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does art work?

Seriously, it's just a representation, though.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's really annoying. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    And what's you argument? Why should in-game map be 100% accurate for continent sizes? It's important for interface of game to be readable, many people will click this thousand times during expac.

YOU CAN ZOOM THE MAP? WHAT! playing for almost 10 years and I didn't know this...

Not only is it easier to click something that's bigger than something that's smaller, but it's the new thing added to the game.
    Why would they want the new thing they're trying to direct you to, to be smaller and thus less eye catching?
    Make it big so new users don't have to hunt for it, make it big so experienced users click it out of reflex.
    Win, win.

This is my thought as well. Not everyone knows how to zoom in, or wants to see something as small as Hawaii on a map. Nothing is truly to scale, and that's ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    Who cares? Just a larger click area.
    pretty much
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    How does art work?

Seriously, it's just a representation, though.
    An incorrect representation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    This is my thought as well. Not everyone knows how to zoom in, or wants to see something as small as Hawaii on a map. Nothing is truly to scale, and that's ok.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty much
    "not everyone knows how to zoom in" are you fucking joking? No, you're wrong, things like this, so out of scale, is immersive breaking.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    Not everyone knows how to zoom in
    are you serious?

like actually serious?

- - - Updated - - -

OT: it's not suppoed to be accurate, it just there to show you the available zones and lands.

they scale them up so they are easier to click on and don't look small.

Formerly known as Arafal

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's to be easier to click.
    "not everyone knows how to zoom in" are you fucking joking? No, you're wrong, things like this, so out of scale, is immersive breaking.
    No, he's right, WoW's map zoom is a "new" freature, most people don't even realize they can do it because you never could until a little bit ago.

I didn't know about the zoom jackass. Then again, I seldom use the world map.

Not only is it easier to click something that's bigger than something that's smaller, but it's the new thing added to the game.
    Why would they want the new thing they're trying to direct you to, to be smaller and thus less eye catching?
    Make it big so new users don't have to hunt for it, make it big so experienced users click it out of reflex.
    Win, win.
    This a laughably bad excuse for an obvious error.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    are you serious?

like actually serious?
    Yeah... actually serious. I didn't know about it til I heard it in here. Not everyone reads every single release note or tip to learn about a feature they never use.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Win, win.
    Yup.
    Basically this.
    They don't care for scale nor do they care that they've wedged in new landmasses and shifted others.
    The world map is for simplicity's sake of scanning maps.
    Need Zand? Right smack dab in the middle.
    KT? The other big chunk right up there.

Deleted
    THE MAELSTORM IS NOT IN THE MIDDLE
    REEEEEEE

It was a nice symetric thing, and now it's slightly to the
    left.

Edit: Also, why isn't Argus on the galactic map? Why is it lumped together with Broken Isles? (it's because of people would be too stupid to actually find the map if it wasn't right there in their faces.)
    Last edited by mmocad3e65e5d1; 2018-08-30 at 08:59 PM.