Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawklobster View Post
    Holy shit, no one was asking you to put her on a pedestal. Have a little compassion ffs. You sound miserable. You should start your own thread about the cancer you clearly have in your soul and maybe I’ll post a shitty indifferent comment too
    Funny you should mention cancer. I'm not sure you'll believe it, but in 2006 I had cancer. I've had appendicitis (surgery wound infection after. I can also tell you gallstones hurt like your spine wants to jump out of your body. I could write you a list of the shit I've been through. So yes, I'm quite miserable. I live on disability.

Don't give me this bleeding heart garbage.
    I just find it really hard to care when a celebrity cries about being sick when the rest of us have been sick all this time, like it's not important until some "famous" person suffers.

Maybe you could write something constructive instead of being offended, attacking me because I don't suck up and go boo hoo for a celeb? Yeah, lyme disease can be miserable. Did you even know what lyme disease does before you read this? I'll be impressed if you say yes, but no lying now. Don't you think that's fucked up, that you didn't care until Avril came along? I think it is.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2018-09-07 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    God damn, that sucks. I mountain bike several times a week and I'm always paranoid of ticks. First thing I do when I finish riding is check my legs and arms for them suckers. I hope she continues to get better.

On another note, can anyone explain what purpose ticks serve? I hate spiders, but they're super helpful. What the hell good do they even do?!
    The problem is the ticks that carry this disease are so freaking small the chance of you spotting one before it already does its damage is basically zero. Usually if you are lucky you notice the bulls eye look of the bite area so you can tell your doctor and get treated fast. If not you generally just start progressively feeling more and more like crap with symptoms that look like 4 different things and tend to get dismissed by doctors until it goes on for a very long time. It is one of those things that if you catch it early its easy to deal with but it is really really difficult to catch it early.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Why do the worst posters always have anime avatars...
    Half naked 'kawai ones' are the worst...

Paedophiles are generally bad people.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    God damn, that sucks. I mountain bike several times a week and I'm always paranoid of ticks. First thing I do when I finish riding is check my legs and arms for them suckers. I hope she continues to get better.

On another note, can anyone explain what purpose ticks serve? I hate spiders, but they're super helpful. What the hell good do they even do?!
    Nothing which is valuable to the world. Other than maybe a bit of food for some creatures, such as birds. But the birds would survive just fine without them.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The way Lyme patients are treated is nothing short of scandalous. Here in the UK there is no proper testing. Some doctors even refuse to believe Lyme is a thing and won't refer you for testing. There is a standard NHS test but it's shit. If you want a proper test you need to pay for private testing. And good luck getting actual treatment for it. So many Lyme suffers are give the trash diagnosis of CFS.
    This lines up with my experiences. Before I was diagnosed with Lyme, I had a bulls eye rash on my arm (telltale sign of lyme) and my doctor tried to tell me it was a sunburn. I eventually got him to test me for it and it came back positive for Lyme and Mono. I was bedridden for a solid 3-4 weeks, sleeping 20 hours a day. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    Well this just ticks me off! Sad to see her clock is ticking.
    Well played!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Other insects eat fleas. Also remember that not everything in nature necessarily has to serve a "purpose" to exist. Some things just exist.
    All which as either pests themselves and or can eat other things...fleas have no benefits at all. At least with something like head lice for example there are perhaps small benefits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Ok so some has been star has some disease... Why should anyone care ? Go treat it don't make fuss over it to get attention. Unless you do it for grater good(look at you MJF)

Or just use tick repelent then do self check after getting back home just to be sure...

Edit: didn't even read the whole post
    At least someone gets it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    When I lived on Oahu I would see wild chickens all over the place. I recall asking a local about it and he had said majority of people aren’t bothered by them because they eat ticks and mosquitoes. Pretty cool, imo.
    Best for mosquitoes is bats. Best for ticks, insects and such on your property are guinea fowl. They also make excellent alarms when they notice some strangers entering your property. Turkeys are great too and as you heard, chickens can help.

Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-09-07 at 02:49 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Funny you should mention cancer. I'm not sure you'll believe it, but in 2006 I had cancer. I've had appendicitis (surgery wound infection after. I can also tell you gallstones hurt like your spine wants to jump out of your body. I could write you a list of the shit I've been through. So yes, I'm quite miserable. I live on disability.

I just find it really hard to care when a celebrity cries about being sick when the rest of us have been sick all this time, like it's not important until some "famous" person suffers.

Maybe you could write something constructive instead of being offended, attacking me because I don't suck up and go boo hoo for a celeb? Yeah, lyme disease can be miserable. Did you even know what lyme disease does before you read this? I'll be impressed if you say yes, but no lying now. Don't you think that's fucked up, that you didn't care until Avril came along? I think it is.
    Thanks for letting me know all about your suffering. Sounds like you are trying to illicit the same sympathy you have no intention of bestowing upon others. Maybe you should think about that hypocrisy next time you feel like sharing your miserable attitude with the rest of the world

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Well they benefit the insects that find a giant buffet of fleas, they just don't benefit humans lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine typing this after saying "Who the fuck cares about some celebrity suffering"

Yikesarino.
    You should work less on being upset about me and more about thinking about what I actually wrote.

Millions struggled with this disease before her. I don't care more just because some washed up artist got it. But I guess it's useful that now that she's sick she can give a fuck about something so others can benefit from her money.
    See here? I say I don't care more because she got it. It means that her suffering from it isn't more relevant than someone elses suffering from it.
    She's got the money to help herself. Many don't. Who do you think I should care about? The person with so much funds she's starting a foundation, or the people that have to apply for the foundation?
    I pointed out that people have suffered from this before she did, something you don't seem to care about. Nah you, you seem to omit that and you just want to white knight for a celeb, I guess?
    We'll disagree on things here and you shouldn't be surprised about it. Or insult people over it. Or attack their person. Or make insinuations.

And somehow, you think -I- am the bad person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    When I lived on Oahu I would see wild chickens all over the place. I recall asking a local about it and he had said majority of people aren’t bothered by them because they eat ticks and mosquitoes. Pretty cool, imo.
    That's pretty useful info, my gf wants to have a chicken as a pet, I wasn't that happy about the idea but that pest control makes me reconsider it, also here in my city all houses have tiny geckos, we call them ''limpia casas'' or ''house cleaners'' they eat all types of spiders, mosquitos and cockroaches, we all have learned to live with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawklobster View Post
    Thanks for letting me know all about your suffering. Sounds like you are trying to illicit the same sympathy you have no intention of bestowing upon others. Maybe you should think about that hypocrisy next time you feel like sharing your miserable attitude with the rest of the world
    For someone that's upset about me not liking a stranger you've never met and will never met, let alone talk to, you seem awfully keen on doing things to me that I ain't even doing to you or that stranger. If you want to highroad someone, you shouldn't start in the gutter.
    You're the one attacking my person, insulting me, insinuating things I suppose I could construe as insulting.

Me? A hypocrite? Is this a Freudian Slip perhaps, because YOU are DEFINETLY the hypocrite here sir. As seen above. What makes ME a hypocrite?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    That's pretty useful info, my gf wants to have a chicken as a pet, I wasn't that happy about the idea but that pest control makes me reconsider it, also here in my city all houses have tiny geckos, we call them ''limpia casas'' or ''house cleaners'' they eat all types of spiders, mosquitos and cockroaches, we all have learned to live with them.
    It's worth considering if you have a lot of foxes or other small predators in your area if you want to have chickens. We've had a ton of chickens and we had them in a protected area with net, and the fox still took some. If you want them roaming, it might be worth getting an animal to protect those hens. Or fowl with an attitude.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2018-09-07 at 03:02 PM.

How is that crying? By bringing up awareness?

Did you even know what lyme disease does before you read this?
    You just countered your own point, people didn't realize the potential of getting lyme disease but now they do thanks to a celebrity getting it. Wonder how many people are going to use more insect repellent after reading about her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    Yet another reason why living and staying in the city is better than pretending to be homeless (camping) or pretending you've been dropped off in the middle of nowhere and have to find your way back to civilization (hiking).
    Being in a city is by no means safe. There's still ticks. And depending on the size of the city, worse illnesses lurking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    How is that crying? By bringing up awareness?

You just countered your own point, people didn't realize the potential of getting lyme disease but now they do thanks to a celebrity getting it. Wonder how many people are going to use more insect repellent after reading about her.
    And THAT, is what I think is fucked up. It didn't matter until a celebrity said somethign about it. Know what I mean? It's not like it didn't exist. It's not like the people who are sick with it aren't talking about it. There's interest groups to be sure.
    But no, we only care when a celebrity gets sick. It's messed up to me. I'm not denying it's effectiveness for attention though.

I'm not sure insect repellent works against ticks in any measure. Best thing you can do is protect your legs, wear clothign that's easy to see ticks on when you're out walking in the forest or tall grass, and always inspect yourself after coming home.
    It's something I've grown up with living in the country, so I guess I can't understand how it's alien to others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Their bodies and dead eggs enrich soil, their larvae help break down things like feces and decaying matter.

They do play an important role, they're annoying, like mosquitoes but they have their place in the decomposition of organic material.

- - - Updated - - -

A chicken will eat those geckos =(
    The geckos tend to hang out the most inside the house, and If I end up getting the chicken she will stay on the yard only.

Being in a city is by no means safe. There's still ticks. And depending on the size of the city, worse illnesses lurking.

- - - Updated - - -

And THAT, is what I think is fucked up. It didn't matter until a celebrity said somethign about it. Know what I mean? It's not like it didn't exist. It's not like the people who are sick with it aren't talking about it. There's interest groups to be sure.
    But no, we only care when a celebrity gets sick. It's messed up to me. I'm not denying it's effectiveness for attention though.
    I am against celebrity worship but I don't consider it celebrity worship when someone uses their fame to draw attention to a problem that is largely ignored, I find that ignorant thinking to be against that.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

It's worth considering if you have a lot of foxes or other small predators in your area if you want to have chickens. We've had a ton of chickens and we had them in a protected area with net, and the fox still took some. If you want them roaming, it might be worth getting an animal to protect those hens. Or fowl with an attitude.
    We don't have foxes in this city so no concern there

10+ Year Old Account
    whenever someone younger than me if in a position where they are acepting death I ask myhself what the fuck I been doing with my life. Wish her the best.

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the long term effects from being bitten by a tick with lyme is that although most people can effectively be treated within several weeks, there is a low percentage of those who will never recover. For those he disease can eventually kill them and even before then, cause a whole host of other debilitating side effects. Imagine barely being able to walk or completely wheelchair bound, throwing up every day, inflamation and pain all over your body, and extreme fatigue. Those are all effects that people who have been bitten and find themselves to be in the unlucky small percentage face.

The controversy right now with doctors and lyme is that these patients with the long term symptoms are, in most cases, no longer showing evidence of lyme in their bodies, so they say there is no such thing as chronic lyme disease. However, these responses are set off initially by being biitten by the lyme carrying tick and the chronic side effects will continue for the rest of their lives. It hasn’t been conclusively determined what reason their is for it yet. Those that suffer refer to it as chronic lyme disease. The insurance companies don’t want to pay for treatments, though simply because the doctors don’t know what it is yet, so ordering medicine to treat a disease that hasn’t been classified properly is tricky. A friend of mine has been suffering for years from this. She’s struggled to get the medicines she’s needed because her insurance simply won’t cover it. I’m glad there is a celebrity now that is raising awareness about it. I feel bad that Avril is suffering too and now hopefully it can get a little more attention.