Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    When men do this, it's in spirit of the sport, and when females do it, it's a tantrum and meltdown.

Take it from someone who actually played 4 years on ITF level and 1.5 years on ATP level. I've seen men say way worse things, up to the point where they said that the umpire should off himself, and more things amongst that line.

Not to mention according to a few sources Carlos Ramos has received multiple complaints this year against him for pestering players, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Serena Williams, Venus Williams and few lower ranked players. He's already barred from Roland Garros due to him pestering Nadal and the USO will probably avoid him for this fiasco as well.

The punishment for Serena was fine, but it's the problem on how he did it. He made the entire thing all about himself wanting to punish Serena, a good umpire would have tried to defuse the situation by telling the frustrated player that the warning was against her coach and not her, and they would have also warned about the game default being the next punishment if she kept it up.

He didn't do either of those things, and that's why he's not a gold badge umpire, because good umpires have enough empathy to calm the player down.

As for Serena, she can't help it, whenever she feels wronged she takes it back to indian wells mess, the uso 2004 mess, the 2003 henin hand mess, she instantly gets rattled and she can't shake it off, it's probably even worse because it seemed that this time around her frustration with her not playing well made it even worse.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2018-09-09 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoherb View Post
    I don't know man, I feel bad for Osaka, but I can see why the crowd booed. She won on a technicality it seems. Even if the coach was cheating (which he admitted), that wouldn't have been Serena's fault unless she knew he was going to make the motions beforehand. When she broke the racket, instead of a penalty she lost a point because of her coach making a gesture presumably without her knowing. Seems the problem is with the rules themselves.

Osaka handled it all very well though, and so did Serena in the end.
    Say what? Osaka was the clearly better player throughout, and would definitely have won whether Serena had been penalized or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Pretty weird to see all of these people suddenly giving a shit about tennis rofl.
    I don't give a shit about tennis, it's people behaving like trash I'm interested in, drama sells.

Make a thread about some football(don't like the sport) star rolling around on the grass faking/filming and I'll be interested in it too.

Politics is also boring but dishonest politicians getting exposed is juicy stuff, even more when they try to weasel out of it.

Surprised she didn't pull the black card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunaqt View Post
    For those who clearly didn't read wtf happened;
    Going by that, she earned those violations. I get tennis being very tense and compeititive but it doesn't give you a free pass to act this way. For shame Williams.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Will I get banned if I say it was a chimp out? Because if I did, I said it was a childish behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Say what? Osaka was the clearly better player throughout, and would definitely have won whether Serena had been penalized or not.
    You may be right, I admit I didn't watch the entire match, but it seems like Osaka got ahead after the second penalty when otherwise she would have been behind. Am I correct? She may or not have been the better player overall, but that extra point definitely would have given her an edge, and it wasn't given to her based on skill.
    Last edited by Echoherb; 2018-09-09 at 11:53 PM.

I feel bad for Osaka because she would have won anyway.

Whether or not men get penalized for the same things doesn't really matter because Serena doesn't play against men. The playing field is level as long as the same rules are applied to all WTA matches. And most players will clean up their act after being penalized a point to avoid losing a game, unless of course they will lose anyway and don't care. Serena has always been bad at losing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy The Curious View Post
    Have you ever seem the goat of all time lose his composure? I'm talking about Federer of course.
    Federer called the umpire a bitch many times, and he has been very ungracious in defeat in the interview.

And he's not the GOAT either, which he said himself, it's Serena Williams as long as she's ahead in slams.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    Serena just made all the mistakes she normally doesn't make, but the points where she didn't make those mistakes, Naomi couldn't keep up.

I think Naomi played smart if anything, wouldn't say good because she had virtually no winners.

So if Serena didn't go overboard, we'd definitely would have had a 3rd set and it might have been a different outcome, but shoulda woulda coulda.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    Federer called the umpire a bitch many times, and he has been very ungracious in defeat in the interview.

And he's not the GOAT either, which he said himself, it's Serena Williams as long as she's ahead in slams.

- - - Updated - - -

Serena just made all the mistakes she normally doesn't make, but the points where she didn't make those mistakes, Naomi couldn't keep up.

I think Naomi played smart if anything, wouldn't say good because she had virtually no winners.

So if Serena didn't go overboard, we'd definitely would have had a 3rd set and it might have been a different outcome, but shoulda woulda coulda.
    that implies the womans division is as competitive as the mens, Its not and no where near the same.

Williams being a sore loser is well known, even if her outburst was deplorable.

The crowd booing Osaka and ruining her big moment, however, that was a truly disgraceful low.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    So she is better at tennis because she is a better athlete... what a devious conspiracy you have uncovered...

Female players could just go to the gym and get bigger, cant be that hard.
    Let me be honest. Why is Serena so good :

She's not weak willed like 99% of all female athletes. Look at the promising young female players on the wta, they get a huge win and they can't back it up, they never reach that height ever again, there are enough girls out there that hit harder and are stronger than Serena, but the problem is, they can't keep it up for longer than a set because the minute things become harder, their entire game falls apart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    that implies the womans division is as competitive as the mens, Its not and no where near the same.
    In tennis the only metric is slams. Graf was the all time goat when no male or female was near her slam count.

When it's Serena Williams, suddenly that metric is different.

Please do not talk about tennis, if you have no clue.

"It's been fascinating to watch," Federer said. "She had a totally different upbringing – I came up through Switzerland with the federation, she did it with her dad and her sister.

"It’s an amazing story unto itself—and then she became one of the greatest, if not the greatest tennis player of all time."

Asked if he meant on the women's side or as a whole, Federer replied, "Overall."

The Wall Street Journal publication said Federer then "ticks off the staggering stats of players like Williams and Steffi Graf, which eclipse those of anyone in men's tennis, especially... factor[ing] in all of Serena's doubles titles."
    Mind you Serena doesn't consider herself the GOAT, she considers Federer the GOAT.

Personally I put Serena, Federer, Graff, Navratilova as the top 4 GOATS.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2018-09-09 at 11:59 PM.

In tennis the only metric is slams. Graf was the all time goat when no male or female was near her slam count.

When it's Serena Williams, suddenly that metric is different.

Please do not talk about tennis, if you have no clue.
    well its silly logic because if Federer played Serena then Federer would obviously win but serena is still the goat because she won a lot of slams in a less competitive league

And federer can say shes the goat, hes being modest. He'd look like a prick if he said he was the best

Deleted
    well its silly logic because if Federer played Serena then Federer would obviously win but serena is still the goat because she won a lot of slams in a less competitive league

And federer can say shes the goat, hes being modest. He'd look like a prick if he said he was the best
    He has said that he's better many times in the past than any male player lul. He's not known for modesty, he's just very subtle about his jabs.

He has said that he's better many times in the past than any male player lul. He's not known for modesty, he's just very subtle about his jabs.
    even serena knows she wouldnt be able to beat him let alone the top 100,

Having learnt long ago, Williams accepted she'd only stand a chance against "someone who is way outside the top 100" on the ATP Tour.

"I honestly think men's and women's tennis are completely opposite," Williams said.

"Men are just stronger than ladies. I even have trouble reading my hitting partner and he is not professional, although he would make a good professional player.

"It really is comparing apples to oranges."

so please just stop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    While I can’t speak to which side is more competitive... the women’s side needs 5 set matches in slams. The lack of the epic 5 setter really limits how memorable some of the matches are. 5 setters are just all out prizefights.
    The reason 5 sets were removed for the slams is so they could fit an entire schedule with a bigger field in a 2 week rotation.

They already said the slams have no desire to create additional scheduling issues if women suddenly need 30-60minutes more per match.

- - - Updated - - -

even serena knows she wouldnt be able to beat him let alone the top 100,

Having learnt long ago, Williams accepted she'd only stand a chance against "someone who is way outside the top 100" on the ATP Tour.

"I honestly think men's and women's tennis are completely opposite," Williams said.

"Men are just stronger than ladies. I even have trouble reading my hitting partner and he is not professional, although he would make a good professional player.

"It really is comparing apples to oranges."

so please just stop.
    Yikes. It's not about whether or not they can beat each other, it's about the slams being the metric to rank the GOATS.

It's been like that since the 60's. You obviously know shit all about tennis if you cannot grasp that concept.

Graf was GOAT ahead of Sampras because she had more slams. Serena has the most slams, so she's leading that now.

Please just stop.

The reason 5 sets were removed for the slams is so they could fit an entire schedule with a bigger field in a 2 week rotation.

They already said the slams have no desire to create additional scheduling issues if women suddenly need 30-60minutes more per match.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes. It's not about whether or not they can beat each other, it's about the slams being the metric to rank the GOATS.

It's been like that since the 60's. You obviously know shit all about tennis if you cannot grasp that concept.

Graf was GOAT ahead of Sampras because she had more slams. Serena has the most slams, so she's leading that now.

Please just stop.
    sigh. Its not the same thing. If someone competes in a lower league and they clean it up because no one else is as good as them then its not really the same thing is it.

Apples to oranges.

I guess I should go in the kids league for football and win every season and claim im the goat

sigh. Its not the same thing. If someone competes in a lower league and they clean it up because no one else is as good as them then its not really the same thing is it.

Apples to oranges.

I guess I should go in the kids league for football and win every season and claim im the goat
    lel.. agree with you.. how can you call someone the GOAT in a sport when she can't even beat anyone in top 100 on the men's side.. she would have 0 grand slams if she competed against men

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Tenns is an ugly boring sport anyways. All players are egocentric and miss any other personality dimension. Table tenis is far superior, it doesn't look so "stolid", and is technically far more challenging; and you don't have to endure the grunt of groaning "humans"