Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    When you point a gun and pull the trigger isn't that intent to kill?
    Very much depends on the overall situation.

If someone was threatening my life and I shot him that's self defense in the eyes of the law and the intention is to safe guard my own life or the lives of others.

If I planned and executed a murder then my intentions are obviously to end a life.

The distinction may be a mundane, hair splitting one but it's an important one nevertheless. That's why the distinction exists in regards to the law.
    Where did you park the invisible car?

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    They're already going with "He left his apartment unlocked, so it's his fault for her getting in and shooting him."
    So I can go commit theft on some unlocked home and pull that excuse now? Sweet.

So if someone doesn't lock their door, can someone else go inside and borrow a small item or two?

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    When will these racially charged shootings stop. The cops are out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Two people were fired. Yet the focus has been squared solely on one of them because.... Vagina?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You've got it right.

If she pulled her gun and shot with intent to kill, murder is the appropriate charge. 2nd degree, not first, because it's not premeditated, just in-the-moment. Orange Joe is talking about premeditation, not intent.

But yes; she should be convicted on 2nd degree murder for this. I'd actually argue they can overlook the criminal trespass possibility if it turns out that her victim had his door unlocked or something; just walking into the wrong apartment shouldn't result in charges. Dropping charges to manslaughter seems like preferential treatment for a police officer.

And before anyone accused me of being anti-cop, here's the Texas law code;

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/PE.19.htm

This wasn't "reckless". She had full intent to either kill or at least seriously injure the guy by shooting him. She was also arguably committing a felony (breaking and entering) at the time. I don't see how this ISN'T murder, under Texas law. It's not capital murder, which is more severe (Texas apparently doesn't use first- and second-degree classifications). And she could potentially argue that it was a "sudden passion" thing for being fearful of someone she thought had broken into what she thought was her apartment. That would reduce the punishment to a second-degree felony.

But she still committed murder, under the law. Charge her appropriately. That she has a badge should only ever mean that the punishment for her crimes will be more severe than otherwise, never an argument for lighter treatment.
    Not that i'm defending her, she's an idiot and deserves whatever she gets but its manslaughter because her mistaken intent was defensive. She thought someone was in her apartment (allegedly) and thus the act of shooting was defensive to take out the threat as opposed to kill. Plus its going to be a reaction/reflex for someone with training so arguing that she actually generated the intent to kill as opposed to simply reacted to someone she perceived as a threat isn't a slam dunk and could easily be lost with a jury. Hence the lesser charge I imagine.

I bet she knows him.

10+ Year Old Account
    "a black man"

Now was that really fucking necessary?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    always love americas "shoot first, think later" method
    Hey, it worked getting the British to go the fuck home, didn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    She needed to have been planning to kill someone before opening the door to charge her with murder. Yes by the common definition she murdered him. By law they would never be able to prove murder so it's better to go with manslaughter.
    That is if you believe her story that she accidently entered the wrong appartment wich sounds really weird and unlikely imo.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    "a black man"

Now was that really fucking necessary?
    Well it might be relevant, if she was a tad racist she might have jumped to the assumption of intruder/bad guy instead of wondering why the hell the furniture in the apartment was so unfamiliar.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Shoot first, ask questions later. So much for safety in an armed society. Sign of a deadbeat copper.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Not that i'm defending her, she's an idiot and deserves whatever she gets but its manslaughter because her mistaken intent was defensive. She thought someone was in her apartment (allegedly) and thus the act of shooting was defensive to take out the threat as opposed to kill. Plus its going to be a reaction/reflex for someone with training so arguing that she actually generated the intent to kill as opposed to simply reacted to someone she perceived as a threat isn't a slam dunk and could easily be lost with a jury. Hence the lesser charge I imagine.
    If its a reaction/reflex for someone "with training" to pull a gun and shoot someone before being aware of their surroundings, they absolutely should not be allowed to carry a gun.

Man, I've been tired, shitfaced drunk and even high and I've NEVER entered the wrong apartment or house. This cop was supposedly just getting off of work.

She's clearly not telling the entire truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Yeah in 2018 when kids cant even play alone outside in the US they dont lock the doors.
    I don't lock the doors on my house or car on a regular basis. Never had anything stolen. Welcome to small town Oklahoma.

And since this happened in Texas, they aren't too far from us on that thought process.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    That is if you believe her story that she accidently entered the wrong appartment wich sounds really weird and unlikely imo.
    It's murder. That doesn't mean it also wasn't an accident. Contrary to popular belief, they DO happen. Accident or not, this is one of those situations where there really is no way to defend her perspective. Prison time is the only option here.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2018-09-11 at 07:22 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be interesting to see the details of this. If her excuse is she thought she was entering her own home and saw him inside and shot him for it, then it'd be interesting to know where she lived. Was she a neighbor? Furthermore, I'm sure they took blood from her to test for any narcotics or blood alcohol level. But there's so little detail outside of the bizarre circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Obviously he had stolen them.

(She even parked on the wrong floor of her garage. Maybe she didn't remember what the inside of apartment looked like?)
    I mean, not only did he steal them, he removed them, redecorated the entire apartment and moved someone else's belongings in.

There is no logical excuse for this lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Also how the fuck did she not recognize her own appartment ? Like this poor guy magically had the exact same wall painting, decorations, furniture as hers ? Please ...

edit : sorry same remark as post above

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I'm usually on the side of the shooter in these threads but 1) how do you even go into the wrong apartment? I've never done this in my life. 2) why was it open? 3) how did she not notice different furniture etc? Makes no sense I'd like to hear more.
    Here is the answer you usually deserve and deserve this time as well:

READ about what happened, DON'T GUESS.
    It's all there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How does someone who's been a cop for four years post a $300000 bail. Have cop salaries gone up that much?
    There are agencies that offer that kind of service...

...why do you think these bails exist? So someone can make a profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    So if someone doesn't lock their door, can someone else go inside and borrow a small item or two?
    The door wasn't unlocked.
    She couldn't open it with her keys (obviously) and the noise got the attention of the resident who opened the door and was shot immideately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Man, I've been tired, shitfaced drunk and even high and I've NEVER entered the wrong apartment or house. This cop was supposedly just getting off of work.

She's clearly not telling the entire truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    I mean, not only did he steal them, he removed them, redecorated the entire apartment and moved someone else's belongings in.

There is no logical excuse for this lol.
    All of you need to read the description of the events provided (it was in one of the first posts) and stop making wild guesses.
    Apparently all floors of that building look alike. Same probably goes for the general set up of the appartments.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-09-11 at 10:36 AM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    My guess is the door was either unlocked, or maybe more likely already partially open because he was leaving and forgot something so he went back in to grab something and she entered moments later thinking it was her apartment and the door was open so she was already on alert as she entered.
    Also possible she broke the door down, murdered him and then claimed she thought it was her apartment and that he was an intruder who had broken in.

Until we hear any of the facts it's all up in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How does someone who's been a cop for four years post a $300000 bail. Have cop salaries gone up that much?
    IIRC bail is a deposit not a payment, you get it back (unless you skip bail). As a result many companies will pay your bail for you if you pay them an administration fee (to make profit from it).

If you've ever seen the reality TV show Dog the Bounty Hunter then that's the premise of the show, people have paid him to put down their bail bond then they have done a runner so he has to hunt them down and bring them in to get his money back.

10+ Year Old Account
    On some twisted shit, I wonder what would happen if she claimed self defense?

She says she entered the apartment by mistake (establishing she had no ill intent) but when the victim heard her he tried to attack her (since he would think she was an intruder). At that moment she feared for her life and shot him.

Only she knows what weird nonsense was going through her head.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    This is the level of officers in this country...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/1248119002/

I wonder how this will end.
    Even if I buy her story, she's too damn stupid to be an officer or free