Poll: To the ones who played the original vanilla: How high rank did you get?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Took all of my sanity and time but got high warlord..

Commander (R11), couldve easily gone higher as i had a spot in a daily premade bg raid that juked the stats so we only needed around 600-700k honor weekly for 1st-10th spot. But my logic back then was that my pve gear was already better than what i would get at r12-14... (had full bwl gear at the time and AQ release was around the corner)

I was a fool! Had i known it whould take over 2 fucking months just to open the damn gates id easily gone for at least r13 in that time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    What rank did you have to be to buy the mount? I think that's the highest I got, but my memory is pretty fuzzy now.

The titles we have now are where we were at the end of the expac, yes, not our all time high, correct?
    Rank 11 (Commander / Lieutenant General), you were awarded your highest obtained rank.

Quote Originally Posted by motive View Post
    Why not? Can you give at least one reason besides "They aren't made by Blizzard"? Eh? Eh? We use the pre-1.10 honor calculations, so yeah. BRAP
    Simply because the player base mentality is completely different to during the original system.
    There's a big difference between a server-wide cartel funneling everyone through Rank 14 and having three or more teams all fighting for the top spot.

When I got Grand Marshal there were three competing teams and I was pulling in 1.2 million honor per week.
    That's a whole different level of insanity than private servers, so yeah. BRAP
    Last edited by Hottage; 2018-09-12 at 10:13 AM.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

I only reached rank 8 ;(

I got to rank 10

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/ch...aszune/Harriot

Had an amazing pre-made group that I got to join in on when I played EU servers, playing from Aus meant I was consistently in 700-800 ms range, it was brutal as lol. I miss that vibe of Vanilla pvp. I wanted rank 11 but I never quite got there due to the time difference. It was a 2am wake up for me to do a few hours before school haha
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    rawrrrr, i decided to make a new toon and now i can't get into the game....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyth View Post
    this is the dumbest person i have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hottage View Post

How was your Grand Marshal achievement added to your account four years after the Wrath of the Lich King launch? You merged a second account merged into it?
    That was likely when I swapped to horde so it awarded me the High Warlord achievement on that day instead of just changing maybe? I noticed that too and it seems odd. I'm not even sure which character I had that was a Scout, maybe a low level mage I had, but it is all one account. I should have like a rank 4-5 hunter somewhere too that I used to only take into AV for fun but I don't even see that achievement on there so I'm not really sure what's going on with it? I'll have to check in game later.

- - - Updated - - -

Simply because the player base mentality is completely different to during the original system.
    There's a big difference between a server-wide cartel funneling everyone through Rank 14 and having three or more teams all fighting for the top spot.

When I got Grand Marshal there were three competing teams and I was pulling in 1.2 million honor per week.
    I think this was easily the most difficult and draining part of the entire grind, at least for me. It wasn't just endlessly grind, we actually had to politic a bit, your description of a server-wide cartel is pretty spot on. I remember constantly chasing people around to find out where they were in honor gains each day to make sure everyone was "in line" with what we were projecting to keep the whole thing on task and in order. Then you'd have to deal with the people who just weren't interested in participating with the group going out and lone wolfing a ton of honor, as well as of course the botters and trying to get a handle on where they were in the rankings. It was a lot to keep track of and stress over.

With all that being said, it was still a ton of playing time as well, so in that regard, kudos to grinding to rank 12+ even today on a private server. That isn't something I would ever be able to take the time to do again.
    Last edited by rorian; 2018-09-12 at 01:44 PM.

Only 31,000 HK to get Grand Marshal?
    I was topping 65,000 by the time I made it.
    Yep, a combination of a low pop Alliance dominated server (20-30 mins WSG queues) and a really fast grind thanks to the amount of geared friends I had already made (my priest was my 2nd character).

Deleted
    Rank 11 (Commander / Lieutenant General), you were awarded your highest obtained rank.

It's the same on my server. Me and Chinese fuck euros and NA's

Funny to see my rank (Centurion) had the most votes at the time of my submission.

I honestly think I would have made Warlord if I had done PVP sooner than I did. I played the game since the beginning and concentrated on other things while a friend of mine did PVP. He reached General and for some reason, stopped playing much. At the rate he was going, he could have made High Warlord easily. Then again, back then, you could AFK your PVP ranks.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraT View Post
    Yep, a combination of a low pop Alliance dominated server (20-30 mins WSG queues) and a really fast grind thanks to the amount of geared friends I had already made (my priest was my 2nd character).
    Just saw your weekly honor for getting Grand Marshal was less than 600,000... man that's a different world to what I lived it :|

- - - Updated - - -

It's the same on my server. Me and Chinese fuck euros and NA's
    What's the same:

- having a cartel setup to much easier rank up
    - having to grind 1,000,000+ honor?
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Just saw your weekly honor for getting Grand Marshal was less than 600,000... man that's a different world to what I lived it :|

- - - Updated - - -

What's the same:

- having a cartel setup to much easier rank up
    - having to grind 1,000,000+ honor?
    1.3 mil honor caps on wsg weekend cause of bracket breakers

Almost got to champion, loved pvp but didnt care much for ranks. Some serious raids against city leaders nuked my ranks badly due to the "civilian" tag over npcs near them.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nefastus View Post
    almost got to champion, loved pvp but didnt care much for ranks. Some serious raids against city leaders nuked my ranks badly due to the "civilian" tag over npcs near them.
    haha, take that loser!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your faction was so set on losing BGs, ranking up would have been very (relatively speaking) easy with a motivated pre-made team.
    We were PvE guild, not a PvP. This was just a side activity, but it's really hard to be "motivated" when you didn't really need to do anything to rank up and putting in any real effort just meant you tired yourself out. The other faction had a dedicated and skilled premade group, so it was also quite painful facing them, further promoting this "just let them win" attitude.

15+ Year Old Account
    1.3 mil honor caps on wsg weekend cause of bracket breakers
    Only on Warsong Gulch weekends? That's not so bad. (:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    We were PvE guild, not a PvP. This was just a side activity, but it's really hard to be "motivated" when you didn't really need to do anything to rank up and putting in any real effort just meant you tired yourself out. The other faction had a dedicated and skilled premade group, so it was also quite painful facing them, further promoting this "just let them win" attitude.
    Generally people would just dodge the skilled premade groups to focus on fighting PUGs when I played (regardless if they were also a premade or not).

I got three characters to Legionnaire /Knight-Captain on three different servers.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Made it to Warlord though even that was a horrendous grind.
    Really enjoyed it however, feels weird knowing that I enjoy and feel more involved with that old Nightfall/Conflag spec than any of the current warlock specs in WoW.

Highest I went was Knight, although it was pretty casual BG PvP since i was much more active in non-instanced PvP at the time, good ol' SS vs TM... the good one, not the BG. Used to also spend hours in STV doing guerilla PvP against the Horde.

Had some friends that tried to grind to the top, but it basically took multiple people playing the same account non-stop on top of a dedicated group in order to achieve it, at least on our server.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Lol, almost 10% GM/HW? Incredible how much people want to lie on an anonymous poll
    We humans have to stick together

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalfLFT View Post
    Lol, almost 10% GM/HW? Incredible how much people want to lie on an anonymous poll
    It's not all that unrealistic, a lot of those who dedicated enough of their time to playing the game back then would be avid players and likely still playing/interested now. Furthermore, the poll isn't anonymous. You can click the number to see who voted for which option.

On top of that, those who obtained the highest ranks are more likely to want to tell people about it, further skewing results to be top heavy.

Obviously there will be Walter Mitty's, but it's not as outlandish an outcome as you might expect.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2018-09-17 at 01:24 PM.