Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people obsessed with skipping? So they can lie to themselves and claim they are hardcore. 90% of the time in pugs you save more time by killing most trash and setting up a clear run back path in case things go FUBAR.

I really dislike skipping trash, to me it's always felt wrong but that's been the nature of the game since Challenge Mode and M+.

10+ Year Old Account
    On mythic+, being efficient with trash and knowing exactly how much trash you need to pull is really important. Groups shouldn't be wasting time fighting trash they don't need to fight.

That said, in general and outside of m+, I absolutely agree with the OP about skipping trash in PuGs. I hate the lengths people go to to skip trash packs that seem to end up getting facepulled anyway. Some of the weird skips I've seen people take, even if successful, seem to take nearly as long as just killing the pack itself. But I've also had who knows how many times when trying to skip trash ended up resulting in a wipe or near wipe later that ended up costing us far more time than the skip itself.

In M+ it's really a necessary evil, but outside of that? I question if -- realistically and in the grand scheme of things -- trying to do skips is actually more efficient overall. If it works successfully half the time, saving me two minutes in one dungeon when we do it successfully but costing me 10 minutes in the next when that oblivious shadow priest pulls it on accident and we wipe means no.

I'm pragmatic, so I generally only do really easy skips in dungeons and raids, and always just pull the sketchier or oft-aggro'd ones in advance to be safe. I'd rather spend the time then risk it later.

(obviously with a reliable group where you trust your teammates, that is another issue)
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Why spent 30minutes doing something that you can do in 25minutes?

That's 1 extra dungeon every 5.
    People scare me when they confound a stupid video game with their job.
    I'm sure this kind of players is far less efficient when working.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude I'm usually the first one to be against speedruns....

...But Mythic+ is literally a speedrun. People GOTTA GO FAST! As fast as possible. It's their prefered play-style - that's why they are in a M+.

Step one: skipe some trash
    Step two: wipe one boss
    Step three: have one of dps pull that trash while corpse runnin
    Step four: have the group disband over the ass pull that wiped the group and failed the timer
    Step five: as a tank, realise that you know better and don't listen to whatever the dps idiots say

ITT People who do mythic+ for their weekly chest vs. people who do Mythic+ as their preferred game mode.

To me the worst part of the expansion is always learning what people yell at you for not skipping.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Is this a serious question? Its timed and you get rewarded for going faster and trash is exactly that... trash.... You'll enjoy MOTHERLODE a lot more if you death run to the third and fourth boss instead of battling through that shit trash.

For the people who actually want to learn skips and percentage, download Method Dungeon Tools, brings up the map of any BFA dungeon, you get to make your own routes, clicking mobs for the dungeon shows percentage and you can even find popular mythic plus streamers routes and import them instead of making your own.

The problem is that everyone uses different routes and different trash packs. Since the communication in a PUG is pretty much 0 the group should simply follow and do what the tank pulls.
    If the tank doesn't know how much he has to pull then he should make that clear at the start.

Coordinating what you pull or don't pull on a timer isn't really all that feasible in a non voicechat pug. If you want to do stuff like that I suggest playing with people you know and can talk to.

Pugs work best if everyone blindly follows the standard path without any random elements happening. It's basicly single player with 4 bots and the less "buggy" those bots are the better.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    I've been pugging a ton of freehold+2 for a chance on parrot mount and the mentality when it comes to this is absurd. I tank for faster groups (it's +2 so whatever) and the amount of people trying to convince me their route is the bestest most special is staggering. And even in bad pugs I end with 10 minutes to spare on the clock when simply plowing through without extravagant skips. The best one was a rogue in freehold who wanted to shroud up to first boss, and then skip the trash before the last boss too. Not only would that have ended us at 80% trash or so, but tanking the last boss in that corner in a +2 pug is bound to make that final trash pack pulled. Coincidentally, it's also the hardest of the instance so usually that's a wipe.

Idk man. People are bad and agry and want to show how pro they are by showing how you can potentially save 20 seconds with a 50% risk of costing 2 minutes?
    I do both of those skips and have percentage, anyone with a brain knows that you can stack almost all of the Cannon Barrage in 1 spot so you don't need to run around like a headless chook. The second is risky for a pug but the first is extremely simple and the boss spewing shit on you on the way there is annoying, its much nicer to skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    I've been pugging a ton of freehold+2 for a chance on parrot mount and the mentality when it comes to this is absurd. I tank for faster groups (it's +2 so whatever) and the amount of people trying to convince me their route is the bestest most special is staggering. And even in bad pugs I end with 10 minutes to spare on the clock when simply plowing through without extravagant skips. The best one was a rogue in freehold who wanted to shroud up to first boss, and then skip the trash before the last boss too. Not only would that have ended us at 80% trash or so, but tanking the last boss in that corner in a +2 pug is bound to make that final trash pack pulled. Coincidentally, it's also the hardest of the instance so usually that's a wipe.

Idk man. People are bad and agry and want to show how pro they are by showing how you can potentially save 20 seconds with a 50% risk of costing 2 minutes?
    I've had rogues that don't tell me they are gonna mass stealth, so when I pull the trash instead, they get all butthurt and pull the whole instance.

sometimes, the tank is so careful about skiping that I end up feeling like it would have been faster not to.

It's a whole different story when you start stacking difficult trash pack related affixes such as reinforced, evidently.

If I'm in a pug with no voice comms, the only skips I'll avoid are the really hard ones (especially since many require rogues, which you don't always have). That being said, if the group shows some level of competence, I'll drop raid markers on the fly to mark the exact path I'm taking. For example, you can dodge many trash packs by hugging walls and climbing terrain in Underrot to avoid packs, and raid marks at the pivotal spots makes it easy for anyone to understand. However, there is no bloody excuse if you can't avoid pulling easily avoided packs like the first ticks in Underrot when the rest of the group manages it just fine and all you have to do is follow the person in front of you who did it right.

Mythic+ is a timed event, so skipping and prioritizing what to kill and what not to kill is the name of the game, especially when affixes come in.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrew View Post
    Especially when i''m not 100% sure on the needed trash %
    You actually should be. Download MethodDungeonTools, it'll help you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrew View Post
    I hate doing skips in pugs as a tank. Especially when i''m not 100% sure on the needed trash %

If the dps is decent enough and we don't wipe u easily make timer.
    skips arent skips just because. they are skips because the dungeon is timed, the traash you skip is hard/takes a long time, and isnt needed for %
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

I agree with op on some level. Some genius asses decide to skip themselves without informing good enough. Because they are best godsend players, and others are weakling plebs for them. Actually one time a rogue told we skip next pack. I told not worth, lets kill. He said no. Used shroud, he run faster then others we lost invis in middle and wiped.
    Without good coordination , especially with random pugs , skipping is suicide(failed around %80 for my groups)
    Last edited by Mgemnusratsl; 2018-09-16 at 02:38 AM.

My favourite skip was a jump in Slave Pens back in TBC that allowed you to skip all of two trash groups. It required jumping at a specific spot at a specific angle so that you hit a lip on the wall rather than falling into the water below. If you missed it you had to run through half the instance to get back to where you were. And at least one person always missed it. That was a shortcut that never failed to waste far more time then it could've potentially saved every time I was in a group that attempted it.

Skips should be practiced with friends on voice chat. In pugs it's stressful and should only be done with high rio rated players. We are 1.5 weeks into the expac and it's NORMAL that a lot of us are still learning specific routes and patterns. That's something I really hate about m+ atm- if you haven't had time to nolife the game, even if you're geared, pugs can be really unforgiving.