Poll: Should you be expected to learn English if you live and work in the US?

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gul8r View Post
    Unacceptable. The SW border is very similar in almost every store, unfortunately.

This isn't Mexico, this isn't Cuba, this isn't Haiti; this is the United States. There is no official language, however it's predominantly English.

If you are living in the United States and refuse to learn English, you are either stupid or lazy. Simple. It's time to assimilate.

I don't expect Mexico to cater to me if I chose to move there and live there, or any country for that matter.

I bet that Taco Bell will eventually go out of business.

This isn't mexico!

Well is used to be... so you can't be surprised you have spanish speakers there, what a retarded argument.

Quebec isn't France.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    So, if my local area doesn't primarily speak Spanish, can I turn Spanish speakers away? I won't need to worry about having someone on staff who can speak Spanish, right?

I can tell you, if I turned a Spanish speaker away, or any other minority for that matter, I would be publicly crucified.

This situation shouldn't be any different.
    This situation wasn't any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    So, if my local area doesn't primarily speak Spanish, can I turn Spanish speakers away? I won't need to worry about having someone on staff who can speak Spanish, right?

I can tell you, if I turned a Spanish speaker away, or any other minority for that matter, I would be publicly crucified.

This situation shouldn't be any different.
    There's a large difference between "refusing" service and not being able to accommodate someone's language. And yes, the scenario you proposed happens all the time. When I was in college and worked at restaurant I couldn't help people who only spoke German or Spanish. I also never refused them service however. I tried the best I could and if we met an impasse due to a language barrier then oh well. What happened in the OP's incident is that the worker didn't even attempt to try. And thus it was terrible customer service, but ultimately has very little to do with whether she can speak fluent English or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No, it is using a specific case to start a discussion about a broader topic. The question I asked was should they be expected, not should they have to.
    pick a better, less obviously baity instance then if you want to avoid that accusation. and they shouldn't be expected to either, oh wow, that was hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    pick a better, less obviously baity instance then if you want to avoid that accusation. and they shouldn't be expected to either, oh wow, that was hard.
    Your accusation made no sense. Neither does thinking this topic has a clear and obvious answer that is not worth discussing, otherwise the thread would not be almost 40 pages long in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Your accusation made no sense. Neither does thinking this topic has a clear and obvious answer that is not worth discussing, otherwise the thread would not be almost 40 pages long in a day.
    because it cuts through you bullshit like a razor blade? 80% of this thread is people bitching about something I can only assume you purposefully left out so we can have the conservatives shit bricks over some rando not getting their Chalupa.

because it cuts through you bullshit like a razor blade? 80% of this thread is people bitching about something I can only assume you purposefully left out so we can have the conservatives shit bricks over some rando not getting their Chalupa.
    I really have no idea what you are on about. I think you are confused or just trying to find something to accuse me of.

The menu is literally Spanish.

What really is the reason they didn't serve these people?

Quote Originally Posted by blehmeh View Post
    The menu is literally Spanish.

What really is the reason they didn't serve these people?
    Maybe she asked a question and they couldn't respond well in English because of poor translation and just didn't want to try because they are bad workers and lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    This isn't mexico!

Well is used to be... so you can't be surprised you have spanish speakers there, what a retarded argument.

Quebec isn't France.
    You're damn right, this isn't Mexico. Don't like it here, don't live here. Go wave your 3rd world country flag somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by r3gul8r View Post
    You're damn right, this isn't Mexico. Don't like it here, don't live here. Go wave your 3rd world country flag somewhere else.
    ah yeah that'll show em! I'm sure the people in southern California whose families have lived there for hundreds if not thousands of years suuuure do love it when a white guy gets all pissy about how American they actually are.

15+ Year Old Account
    People shouldn't go to or live in an area unless they know the dominant language of the region.

Which is why nobody should go to or live in Miami without knowing Spanish, since the dominant language of the city by census data is Spanish.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

ah yeah that'll show em! I'm sure the people in southern California whose families have lived there for hundreds if not thousands of years suuuure do love it when a white guy gets all pissy about how American they actually are.
    Is that why Los Angeles was 86% non-hispanic white in the 40s?

Quote Originally Posted by Suporex View Post
    Is that why Los Angeles was 86% non-hispanic white in the 40s?
    I'm sorry is that supposed to be some sort of counterpoint or are you just stating a bit of trivia?

Should pay her in pesos and say they don't understand what she wants when she comes to complain about the paycheck.

Looked like she purposely was refusing to take her order. She could hold up fingers and say the numbers in spanish (husband counted in spanish). All they would have had to do is point to themselves, hold up a number of fingers, point to the husband and do the same and then make a gesture of being done.

Also seemed to understand many phrases perfectly. Seemed like she just wanted to be a bint to this woman for unclear reasons.

I'm sorry is that supposed to be some sort of counterpoint or are you just stating a bit of trivia?
    You said families who live there for hundreds/thousands of years but they didn't. I don't you think realize how low California's population was when it was part of Mexico. Even if they did who cares. Florida for example has the second fewest native resident of any state so the "they've been here for hundreds of years" doesn't really fly.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2018-09-17 at 03:33 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    She's working at a Taco Bell and paying taxes... you have no clue if she is or isn't illegal. And yes the fuck you can, you speak like a person ignorant of latinos.
    With, most likely, a stolen identity if she’s actually unable to speak any English.

Quote Originally Posted by Suporex View Post
    You said families who live there for hundreds/thousands of years but they didn't.
    sure, I was clearly talking about every person to ever live in that area, ever. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    So? In my daily life like 99% of the people I interact with speak Russian, should I not have learnt Estonian and just insisted on speaking only Russian?
    Your own,choices and life experiences dont dictate how others should live. Your choice to live in Estonia and deal with Russians. You could leave and go somewhere else in the world. You choose to stay and deal with what you have. Your choice.

Not everyones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

sure, I was clearly talking about every person to ever live in that area, ever. /s
    No family that has been living there for hundreds if not thousands of years would only speak Spanish unless they were completely isolated from the rest of the US.