View Poll Results: Is buying tokens and boosts from Blizzard considered cheating in WoW?

Voters
929. This poll is closed
  • Yes, this is clearly cheating

108 11.63%
  • No, cheating has a very specific meaning

788 84.82%
  • Other - My answer is way too convoluted, see below

33 3.55%
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    If they really thought of it as "cheating", pathfinders would not exist. Hyperbole does not suit you.
    That's actually what they said. And the original plan in WoD was to not reintroduce flying, but even their own developers rebelled against that.

Quote Originally Posted by fallasleep View Post
    That's actually what they said. And the original plan in WoD was to not reintroduce flying, but even their own developers rebelled against that.
    Can you provide sources to show them calling flying cheating? As someone who followed both of the no-flying threads, the most I saw them say was "Flying trivializes the content and we want to control how that content is experienced". I'd love to see PROOF of them calling it all out cheating. Source?

- - - Updated - - -

https://gamerant.com/world-of-warcra...lords-draenor/

Originally Posted by Ion
    “At this point, we feel that outdoor gameplay in World of Warcraft is ultimately better without flying,” Hazzikostas said. “We’re not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor and that’s kind of where we’re at going forward.”
    The article referenced above talks about why Blizz did not want flight. "Cheating" was never mentioned.

As for this topic, they offered tokens to chase out the gold spammers (successfully), and offered boosts as a means to catch up and play with friends and guildmates. Neither is cheating, and will never be considered cheating according to the Blizz ToU.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Deleted
    Can you provide sources to show them calling flying cheating? As someone who followed both of the no-flying threads, the most I saw them say was "Flying trivializes the content and we want to control how that content is experienced". I'd love to see PROOF of them calling it all out cheating. Source?

- - - Updated - - -

https://gamerant.com/world-of-warcra...lords-draenor/

Originally Posted by Ion
    “At this point, we feel that outdoor gameplay in World of Warcraft is ultimately better without flying,” Hazzikostas said. “We’re not going to be reintroducing the ability to fly in Draenor and that’s kind of where we’re at going forward.”
    The article referenced above talks about why Blizz did not want flight. "Cheating" was never mentioned.

As for this topic, they offered tokens to chase out the gold spammers (successfully), and offered boosts as a means to catch up and play with friends and guildmates. Neither is cheating, and will never be considered cheating according to the Blizz ToU.
    This has been so much back, I think it was said at Blizzcon or in some interview somewhere, but it must've been years ago, don't know where it was.

This has been so much back, I think it was said at Blizzcon or in some interview somewhere, but it must've been years ago, don't know where it was.
    Weird, this was prior to the launch of WoD and I found it just fine. I think you may have misread or misinterpreted the article you read. I would love to see where Blizz refers to it as cheating.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/04/26/...ds-of-draenor/

Originally Posted by Bashiok
    being able to lift off and fly over content compromises many of our goals in how the game world is approached, how it's played, how it's consumed, and how the content is designed to account for those factors.

How many of us have become furious when we actually have to fight something!? Is that clever gameplay? Is that being good at playing the game, or is it using a mechanic to avoid having to play it? Is that what the game should be, and what our expectations should be as gamers playing it?

I hope everyone can agree, regardless of personal opinion toward flight vs. non-flight, that flying fundamentally alters how content is approached in a world where the gameplay exists wholly on the ground.

We also know that being able to approach content that's on the ground from up in the air compromises much of what creates the game world, how it's played, and how it's consumed.
    I shared the link to the original post to show in its entirety, nowhere do they consider flight cheating. Simply a method that compromises content. Neither tokens nor boosts compromise content and therefore can't even be compared to flight. As for this topic, Blizz had reasons for selling boosts and tokens, and obviously weighed the costs before implementing either. As of now, I have bought and sold close to 30 tokens and 10 boosts and have never been banned. Plain and simple, it is not cheating. It is legit use of offered services.

Deleted
    Weird, this was prior to the launch of WoD and I found it just fine. I think you may have misread or misinterpreted the article you read. I would love to see where Blizz refers to it as cheating.
    This isn't what I'm talking about. I didn't read it somewhere, I saw someone say it. Must've been Blizzcon or a Q&A or interview.

As of now, I have bought and sold close to 30 tokens and 10 boosts and have never been banned. Plain and simple, it is not cheating. It is legit use of offered services.
    Who said you would be banned for it? lol, no one said that buying boosts or tokens is an exploit that is bannable. What are you even talking about?
    Last edited by mmoc2630977891; 2018-09-17 at 03:24 PM.

I've been buying boosts since they went to lvl 90, and tokens from the day they released. I've only added 4 of the 17 pages of purchase history. Everything I do is legit since Blizz gets paid.

This doesn't even count the 100 or so I've purchased since March.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't what I'm talking about. I didn't read it somewhere, I saw someone say it. Must've been Blizzcon or a Q&A or interview.

Who said you would be banned for it? lol, no one said that buying boosts or tokens is an exploit that is bannable. What are you even talking about?
    Well, you need to find the link to the video, cause anyone can claim anything is said. As for the 2nd part, people claim is it cheating, but wouldn't I get banned if it were?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    LOL this thread reminds me of flat earthers all ignoring simple facts.

How can skipping 110 levels and/or buying in game gold not be cheating at the game?
    Ways to cheat:

gold hack
    codes
    pay Chinese for gold
    pay Chinese to power level
    flying hack
    speed hack
    duping
    exploits
    take advantage of a glitch

Ways to not cheat:

Use Blizzard approved services

Deleted
    I've been buying boosts since they went to lvl 90, and tokens from the day they released. I've only added 4 of the 17 pages of purchase history. Everything I do is legit since Blizz gets paid.

This doesn't even count the 100 or so I've purchased since March.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you need to find the link to the video, cause anyone can claim anything is said. As for the 2nd part, people claim is it cheating, but wouldn't I get banned if it were?

- - - Updated - - -

Ways to cheat:

gold hack
    codes
    pay Chinese for gold
    pay Chinese to power level
    flying hack
    speed hack
    duping
    exploits
    take advantage of a glitch

Ways to not cheat:

Use Blizzard approved services
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

Lets see here, you are paying extra money to play less of a game you are paying to pay - Genius.

If paying the Chinese for gold or to power level is cheating the game then doing the same or similar is cheating the game. The fact that Blizzard allow makes zero difference to the game or any other player you gain an advantage over. Why are you having trouble with this simple concept.

Lets see here, you are paying extra money to play less of a game you are paying to pay - Genius.

If paying the Chinese for gold or to power level is cheating the game then doing the same or similar is cheating the game. The fact that Blizzard allow makes zero difference to the game or any other player you gain an advantage over. Why are you having trouble with this simple concept.
    Not everyone has deep pockets like I do. This is my hobby, so I spend my money as I please. But hey, thanks for stopping by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Because cheating in a game is doing something that is not the legit intended way of playing it.

Being able to spend gold to get tokens or spend cash to get boosts/tokens is a legit intended thing to do.

Not a hard concept to understand.
    Regardless of how it is obtained the intention and effect on the game is the same - game play is skipped to the purchasers advantage and that is commonly known as cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone has deep pockets like I do. This is my hobby, so I spend my money as I please. But hey, thanks for stopping by.
    You want to waste your money thats up to you, just remember you are cheating the game and ultimately yourself.

You want to waste your money thats up to you, just remember you are cheating the game and ultimately yourself.
    The only "cheat" I feel is how I am cheated of telling you what I really think of you and your opinion. Aside from that, every day is a sunny day in WoW. The boosts are fantastic and the tokens keep adding to my mountains of gold.

Ok how can something be cheating if its not against the rules in the game....

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Ok how can something be cheating if its not against the rules in the game....
    My thoughts exactly. But click on the poll and see the names of all the people who claim it is.

My thoughts exactly. But click on the poll and see the names of all the people who claim it is.
    None of those names mean much to me.

Its just odd ppl complain about something thats been in the game for a few years in a legit way. And in the game since vanilla in a nonlegit way.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    None of those names mean much to me.

Its just odd ppl complain about something thats been in the game for a few years in a legit way. And in the game since vanilla in a nonlegit way.
    Some people just don't get the actual definition of cheating.

This is true. Some people are in denial about pay 2 win but I guess that is how the game has devolved lately.

RMT will always be "Cheating" but the fault lies with blizzard for charging a sub AND allowing RMT to begin with. If its there, and you can afford it - i mean....

pot calling kettle black though. People whine (hilariously so) when guys can play more hours than them, and thus get ahead. (duh?)

by that same token, people can P2W which has its own opposition for similar (and different) reasons.

Still - blizzards hypocritical fault for adding it to begin with. But that 7 billion revenue last year speaks for itself. Its why they can release such polished, balanced, and bug free content with a well funded development and quality control team.

/sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

proud to say, every character i have to 110+ (and theres probably more than the guy who spent like 1000+ on wow) i got there myself. As such i actually know how to play them and have substantially increased my knowledge about the game in general.

Of course this comes at a cost. Do i save money? sure. I dont think paying more for a game im already paying for... (hell paying anything for something virtual shouldnt be done lightly) is the wisest use of a finite resource. Especially with kids and a family. If i was a teen still, sure. The value just isnt there now.

That being said - time i could be spending with my kids, or another hour at the gym, or out with friends, is all traded off and sacrificed to do things in game manually/the way intended. (until recently for ppl with an abundance of disposeable income) that is.

I wonder if said people will still feel ok with their choice when the day comes someodd years from now when the servers finally close, the data is wiped, and what they have to show for it is...a memory of toons they boosted i guess.

Obviously everyones stance has a bit of bias, and mine is clear. Still, like the other guy said. Blizzard allows it, endorses it, and regardless of where an individuals money comes from, they can spend it however and exactly as they please.
    Last edited by klepp0906; 2018-09-24 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    RMT will always be "Cheating" but the fault lies with blizzard for charging a sub AND allowing RMT to begin with. If its there, and you can afford it - i mean....

pot calling kettle black though. People whine (hilariously so) when guys can play more hours than them, and thus get ahead. (duh?)

by that same token, people can P2W which has its own opposition for similar (and different) reasons.

Still - blizzards hypocritical fault for adding it to begin with. But that 7 billion revenue last year speaks for itself. Its why they can release such polished, balanced, and bug free content with a well funded development and quality control team.

/sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Yup.

RMT is looked down upon by real MMORPG players. I remember when former CEO Smedley of Sony Online Entertainment tried to justify RMT in Everquest II and was shot down. They had to make separate servers so the RMT players could play on a different server.

I think Blizz should have separate servers for those that use RMT heavily and keep other servers clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Yup.

RMT is looked down upon by real MMORPG players. I remember when former CEO Smedley of Sony Online Entertainment tried to justify RMT in Everquest II and was shot down. They had to make separate servers so the RMT players could play on a different server.

I think Blizz should have separate servers for those that use RMT heavily and keep other servers clean.
    I would WELCOME an RMT server, if for no other reason than to weed out whiners and elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    This is true. Some people are in denial about pay 2 win but I guess that is how the game has devolved lately.
    I understand the argument, I just don't really see what people are "winning" when they buy tokens or boosts when they still have to level up from 110 after buying the boost and gold can't buy everything and the gear it CAN buy is easily earned (or gear equivalent to it) just playing the game anyway...which the person is going to continue doing, so nothing really changed. So, I see a definite advantage I guess, but I don't see any of that as "winning" when nothing really changed. Also, it has absolutely zero affect on me and most other people playing the game so I couldn't care less about it or whether people call it pay 2 win or not

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I understand the argument, I just don't really see what people are "winning" when they buy tokens or boosts when they still have to level up from 110 after buying the boost and gold can't buy everything and the gear it CAN buy is easily earned (or gear equivalent to it) just playing the game anyway...which the person is going to continue doing, so nothing really changed. So, I see a definite advantage I guess, but I don't see any of that as "winning" when nothing really changed. Also, it has absolutely zero affect on me and most other people playing the game so I couldn't care less about it or whether people call it pay 2 win or not
    So you mean to tell me, not only is it NOT cheating, but you and others like you are UNAFFECTED by people selling tokens for gold or using/buying a boost to start the new expansion? I like you.