Poll: If you could edit your skin?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Will we ever have skin color customization?

Brief warning, in spite of the thread's title, this has almost nothing to do with race/ethnicity. So please don't get this thread locked. Pretty please with sugar on top.

This is actually something I haven't really seen explored in much in science-fiction, that is, the idea of gene editing allowing us to have 'unnatural' skin colors or even patterns like stripes, spots or symbols.

In domesticated animals, you have this condition often called Domestication Syndrome which includes more diversity in coat variation.

To an extent I'm actually curious on whether we could genetically 'unlock' a similar effect in human, with the end result being genetically customizable human skin color. Maybe we could even import gene patterns from other species, like imagine humans with tiger stripes or brindle coloration.

Of course I'm not a geneticist by any degree, but something like this interests me. Same with hair and eye coloration.

What do you guys think? A century, two centuries, three centuries in the future could you ever imagine humans having customizable skin colors/patterns?

@Connal @PrimaryColor

One of the things doctors look for is discoloration in the skin.

If they do indeed start manipulating genes at commercial levels, then yes, I could see this happening eventually.
    It'll also probably mean the end of obesity, certain hereditary conditions, bad eyesight etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    If they do indeed start manipulating genes at commercial levels, then yes, I could see this happening eventually. It'll also probably mean the end of obesity, certain hereditary conditions, bad eyesight etc etc.
    And free will.
    Have to keep the population pacified somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And free will.
    Religion, consumer culture and drugs does that just fine.

i believe we'll get there eventually, being able to alter whatever aspect we want.

we might even be able to eventually alter someone currently living, rather than needing to alter someone before birth.

but it'll be paved with horrible genetic issues along the way, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And free will.
    I'm not sure it's healthy to always see any technological or cultural advancement as inherently negative. Of course their are implications for all of this, but I have at least a fleeting faith in basic human ethics in regards to this stuff.

also, i'd maybe make my skin more pale. to better contrast with my black clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Religion, consumer culture and drugs does that just fine.
    And don't forget taking away having to make all those pesky responsible decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I'm not sure it's healthy to always see any technological or cultural advancement as inherently negative. Of course their are implications for all of this, but I have at least a fleeting faith in basic human ethics in regards to this stuff.
    Ethics...? Like morality?
    Already threw that away in support of Profit-driven tech.

7+ Year Old Account
    @Techno-Druid

Anything is possible but it might be easier to invent dyes that are changeable and safe for humans. For instance, evolution and DNA almost never produces blue pigments and it has to go through a more complex process where it creates nano structures in order to reflect blue light. In cases like that there is probably a good reason as to why certain pigments are not a good idea.

I imagine us all being dead of nuclear war first, but hey if we survive that, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Sun View Post
    I imagine us all being dead of nuclear war first, but hey if we survive that, sure.
    I doubt we'll have a nuclear war (at least to that extent) anytime soon. Most of us know the threat nukes pose.

I doubt we'll have a nuclear war (at least to that extent) anytime soon. Most of us know the threat nukes pose.
    Your thread asked about this happening within the next 200-300 years, so, lots of time for us to die ad everyone to forget.

A rogue AI destorying mankind is more likely than nuclear war, sure nuclear war could cause some serious damage but it wouldnt wipe out the planet.

Anyway aside from the doom and gloom, yes one day skin color will be a fashion accessory but it will be expensive and not everyone will be able to afford it.

It's possible, we will likely get technology to change our physical appearance through genetics at some point, although how difficult that is depends on the kind of change we're talking about. Melanin in the skin is probably a lot easier to change than other physical characteristics associated with "race" eg bone structure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's possible, we will likely get technology to change our physical appearance through genetics at some point, although how difficult that is depends on the kind of change we're talking about. Melanin in the skin is probably a lot easier to change than other physical characteristics associated with "race" eg bone structure.
    I'm totally waiting for the bone structure part. Bring on the Draenei makeover!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    Sure, it isn't like all the botox, piercings, tattoos and whatnot isn't horrendous enough as well, might as well add to the list.

Granted, I would be interested to see if we made everyone the same colour, how things would play out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better tattoo tech?

The skin is an organ. While theoretically speaking it seems possible with enough knowledge and research...would it be smart?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I have at least a fleeting faith in basic human ethics
    That's the problem with wearing blinders and looking only to the future.

This mindset only exists in someone who hasn't taken a clear look at humanity's past and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I'm totally waiting for the bone structure part. Bring on the Draenei makeover!
    I have no doubt that at some not too distant point in the future the conservative moral panic of the day will have moved on from gays and transgender people to furries who undergo genetic modification to inhabit their fursona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.