Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i just want fallout to become reality so bad, so i can wear cute 1950's style dresses and hairdos with a goth twist.
    Is that before or after being eaten by a deathclaw?

You will miss my RTG bicycle before the end
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

i just want fallout to become reality so bad, so i can wear cute 1950's style dresses and hairdos with a goth twist.
    Anything that prevents you from doing it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by rsl View Post
    dont worry if more muslims come in it will be at least 800 years
    have you seen the burj khalifa?

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Anything that prevents you from doing it now?
    it wouldn't be weird and standout as much if everyone was doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    yeah a great design by Western Architects

your point ??

No, never.

Who designed it? Who built it?

I mean, I don't think you are making the point your think you are making.

Quote Originally Posted by rsl View Post
    yeah a great design by Western Architects

your point ??
    Jinx?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Googled pictures of them both, and the former is how I have seen tracks made here. Could be that the regular slower trains, ones going at max of 160 go in the latter lanes, but that's harder to tell from inside the train, and truthfully I haven't paid quite that much attention to the ground. The newer and faster ones go at about 200.

Unrelated to your post, but I must say it's interesting how much of a difference there is in travel time, between the faster and slower train, going the same distance. Despite what certain unnamed geniuses claim doesn't happen, as train speed apparently is no factor in travel times. Funny how reality disagrees.
    Most train stations are connected via traditional K/W railway tracks and high-speed trains eventually are guided to high-speed tracks which they leave again for the next stop and only certain cities are connected via high-speed lines where the train may reach between 250-300 km/h depending on model. Anyway this train which the article is talking about is based on a Coradia LINT. Which is modeled and spec'd after demands of common European passenger and commuter trains which means low flooring for ease of entry, wide and open cabins. They are not meant for high-power traction and often are limited to 2, maybe 3, cars in total. As such the speed is adequate. Alstom is a renowned manufacturer of transportation systems, the most known one to be the TGV, so there is some degree of trust in engineering to be had here. Another thing to note is that for instance the ICE 4 (BR412) with 12 cars produces a traction output of about 10 MW which can't be really provided with by one car let alone stored fuel that's why the 7/12 car setups of the ICE has 6 powercars connected via pantograph to overhead lines.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Most train stations are connected via traditional K/W railway tracks and high-speed trains eventually are guided to high-speed tracks which they leave again for the next stop and only certain cities are connected via high-speed lines where the train may reach between 250-300 km/h depending on model. Anyway this train which the article is talking about is based on a Coradia LINT. Which is modeled and spec'd after demands of common European passenger and commuter trains which means low flooring for ease of entry, wide and open cabins. They are not meant for high-power traction and often are limited to 2, maybe 3, cars in total. As such the speed is adequate. Alstom is a renowned manufacturer of transportation systems, the most known one to be the TGV, so there is some degree of trust in engineering to be had here. Another thing to note is that for instance the ICE 4 (BR412) with 12 cars produces a traction output of about 10 MW which can't be really provided with by one car let alone stored fuel that's why the 7/12 car setups of the ICE has 6 powercars connected via pantograph to overhead lines.
    So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the train would be a replacement for the slower, top 160 km/h train? I still don't think I would make the trade, because same trip on the 160 compared to 200+ I'm taking, is already 13 minutes slower one way. 140 top speed train would further increase that time difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    You sound like you are suffering from depression.
    I wonder what the world would be like without all these online psychologists, who can diagnose people with mental disorders from reading 2 sentences
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

it wouldn't be weird and standout as much if everyone was doing it.
    Try it sometime, despite it standing out and people staring. Why limit your enjoyment based on what others think. I tried amethyst purple hair dye 3 months back, just because I was curious about it. Now that stood out. Perhaps a little too much, and it faded fast into chrome gray. That was weird. But I did sate my curiosity by trying, so winwin.

Lesson I learned from it, is to not do such colors to blonde/light hair. Turns weird blueish rather than purple.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2018-09-21 at 06:05 PM.

Deleted
    trump should be the prime example, corruption, corruption, you shouldnt vote for them because you agree with them on 1 issue immigration, trump and his his pals in the cabinet have been using our money to enrich themselves, and telling everyone that the immigrants are taking the country, and theyre doing it right in front of you.
    What does AfD have to do with Trump.

Not even going to argue the Trump part, I think that again you're being partisan, but what necessitates a populist party/government to be any more corrupt than any other.

Nothing.

It's just your bias, you might disagree with populism, but populism doesn't necessitate corruption.

You have basically elected to see the world in black and white.

Try it sometime, despite it standing out and people staring. Why limit your enjoyment based on what others think. I tried amethyst purple hair dye 3 months back, just because I was curious about it. Now that stood out. Perhaps a little too much, and it faded fast into chrome gray. That was weird. But I did sate my curiosity by trying, so winwin.

Lesson I learned from it, is to not do such colors to blonde/light hair. Turns weird blueish rather than purple.
    eh, i'm a pretty shy person. i get looks due to the way i dress already, which makes me wear my coat all the time as a way to further hide myself.

eh, i'm a pretty shy person. i get looks due to the way i dress already, which makes me wear my coat all the time as a way to further hide myself.
    Not going to avoid being looked at as a woman. People will look anyway. Men will look, women will look to compare. I look at people too. In the end does it matter if they look 2 seconds longer due to something out the ordinary, when they were going to look anyway?

There didn't seem to be an image of the train in the article. I was curious. I looked up an image of it. Glad people are doing things like this in the world.

Deleted
    Sounds like poorly designed system if there's as many stops for a train as there's for local city bus. All that accomplishes is multiply travel times for everyone.
    actually its railway systems in those places in aprticular which are often cited as examples of what a railways s should be, basically, great design. in my area theres plenty of small towns with windy roads, hills and mountains and a train beats the bus any time, in many central european areas theres plenty of mountains and hills with small 1okish population count towns and great railway systems connceting vast part fot eh country. anyone living here would understand what im trying to say though idk about everyone else
    Last edited by mmoc4b988bc479; 2018-09-21 at 06:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the train would be a replacement for the slower, top 160 km/h train? I still don't think I would make the trade, because same trip on the 160 compared to 200+ I'm taking, is already 13 minutes slower one way. 140 top speed train would further increase that time difference.
    It would be an apt replacement for a DMU of the LINT 54 line which I assume is actually the sales target. The normal LINT 54 DMUs reach about 140 km/h but you can rest assured that for the majority of the track they will sit at 100-120 km/h. They are powered by two or three 390 kW diesel engines. The normal DMUs use 2x800 liter diesel tanks. The new hydrogen variant uses 2x94 kg tanks mounted on roof and has 110 kW Li-Ion batteries stored below the cabin. 188 kg hydrogen contain the same amount of energy as 624 liters of diesel do. So basically given the total energy/cost sum it is fair to assume that they are more efficient in performance also due to weighing considerable less (due to the lower weight of the fuel) but it is likely that this iteration isn't going to bring a revolution about due to their inefficiency on fuel production side. Trains will continue to operate with modern DMUs and EMUs until fossil fuels as resource become more scarce or more efficient ways are found for hydrogen production and for energy storage. It is more likely that we will see battery-driven EMUs for short lines which have recharge cycles during off-times. While it is a novelty to see it is going to be as popular as rapeseed oil fueled buses were in the early 2000s.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2018-09-21 at 07:02 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

Should hear more of these news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    It would be an apt replacement for a DMU of the LINT 54 line which I assume is actually the sales target. The normal LINT 54 DMUs reach about 140 km/h but you can rest assured that for the majority of the track they will sit at 100-120 km/h. They are powered by two or three 390 kW diesel engines. The normal DMUs use 2x800 liter diesel tanks. The new hydrogen variant uses 2x94 kg tanks mounted on roof and has 110 kW Li-Ion batteries stored below the cabin. 188 kg hydrogen contain the same amount of energy as 624 liters of diesel do. So basically given the total energy/cost sum it is fair to assume that they are more efficient also due to weighing considerable less (due to the lower weight of the fuel) but it is likely that this iteration isn't going to bring a revolution about. Trains will operate with DMUs and EMUs until fossil fuels as resource become more scarce or more efficient ways are found for hydrogen production and for energy storage. It is more likely that we will see battery-driven EMUs for short lines which have recharge cycles during off-times.
    Interesting, thanks. How would it perform in heavy snow?

If we go by that logic, then let's wait with screwing with trains, until the smallest offenders are taken care of. This means individuals. Majority do no recycle properly. Call me when that is done I am already doing my part, now I'm waiting for everyone else.
    It's called multitasking, people can improve train emissions, and then work on recycling concurrently.

In governance, if you are arbitrarily waiting for something to be done(A) before starting on your next project(B) without it being a case of (B) only being possible with the achievement of (A), you are doing something horribly wrong.

Also, yeah, it's not fair this generation and subsequent generations have to pay for the mistakes of previous generations. That could mean you have to put in more effort, time and money to fix their mistakes.

Ecological debts don't magically disappear with the previous generations, unlike with personal debt.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

15+ Year Old Account
    Interesting, thanks. How would it perform in heavy snow?
    Train power cars and locomotives use so-called sanders (short term for sanding equipment). This type of passenger train never has any sort of plowing equipment though there are special types of locomotives for that. So the performance would be the same. The misconception is probably that EMUs are weaker than DMUs when it's the other way around, it's after all called diesel-electric meaning they are using that power to generate electric power which then is used to power electric traction motors since diesel motors are limited by efficiency and torque whereas electric motors are capable of providing all that especially under heavy load. The final amount of energy that ends up at these motors is of course much smaller than the original energy stored in the fuel (see Boltzmann equation).