Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

[non-end-game] So I tried WoW for a couple of hours after two years away

And it's literally identical as a base game. I started a blood elf monk and tanked one 5man; sure that's not the "full game" by any chance, but, it is enough to show

a) The basic gameplay is identical

b) The graphics from TBC levels are still ancient and very aged

c) Not even the UI has changed

I mean, this game is now almost 15 years old and the technologies it has are almost 100% identical with whatever it had around WoTK. Vanilla was totally buggy and TBC was "almost there", and Cata polished the questing code but apart from that almost nothing changes on the base game.

It's as if Development in this game nowadays is 90% on dungeon design, inventing abilities for end-game and tweaking abilities for end-game.

Non-end-game is extremely important. Admit it, most of the fun many end-game players have nowadays, is when they level an alt.

That's bullshit man.

The basic ui was revamped just months ago in the pre-patch.

Graphics are highly changed and improved every new expansion.

And expecting 'basic gameplay' to change is just being absurd.

Nice rant though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    And it's literally identical as a base game. I started a blood elf monk and tanked one 5man; sure that's not the "full game" by any chance, but, it is enough to show

b) The graphics from TBC levels are still ancient and very aged, unless you mean TBC has yet to be updated which is true... tbc and wotlk, even cata have not been touched...

I mean, this game is now almost 15 years old and the technologies it has are almost 100% identical with whatever it had around WoTK. Vanilla was totally buggy and TBC was "almost there", and Cata polished the questing code but apart from that almost nothing changes on the base game.

It's as if Development in this game nowadays is 90% on dungeon design, inventing abilities for end-game and tweaking abilities for end-game.

Non-end-game is extremely important. Admit it, most of the fun many end-game players have nowadays, is when they level an alt.
    1. i mean not exactly.
    2. uhh no that is a literal lie, but whatever
    3. uhh yes the UI has changed, it was literally just changed for the first time in years, what the fuck are you going on about?

nothing has changed on the base game...
    what the utter bloody fuck are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Leveling is an overglorified tutorial. Blizzard doesn’t really care to update it much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    The basic ui was revamped
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    the UI has changed
    Technically it has but it doesn't feel it when you start a new installation. The experience is identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Wow, I'm not sure I've ever disagreed more with a statement on this forum more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Leveling is an overglorified tutorial. Blizzard doesn’t really care to update it much.
    Bs; a lot of people enjoy levelling alts more than being slaves of a guild leader.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    that is a literal lie, but whatever
    Did you start a blood elf lately? The graphics of the first zones are basically TBC era.

That's an impressive load of bullshit.

"the basic gameplay is identical"
    Well, yes. It is still World of Warcraft.
    If they change the "basic gameplay" then it would a different game.

"The graphics from TBC levels are still ancient and very aged"
    Yes, the graphics in the TBC zones are quite dated. Good thing Blizzard has improved every aspect of the games graphics since then.

I will say though that the graphics in WoW, when compared to other MMO's released today, is not as sharp. This is mainly due to the fact that WoW has a more cartoony look and does in my opinion not need such an investment in the graphics department.

"Not even the UI has changed"
    It actually has changed. Quite a bit to be honest.
    The only thing in the UI that's mostly the same as it was in Vanilla is the actionbars, everything else has been modified.
    Last edited by Lindon; 2018-09-22 at 01:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Ummmm the graphics and textures have been upgraded mannnnny times, I honestly legit think you’re bringing this up to fuck with us...

I mean I get it, you were trash before - and you’re still trash? Good bye? See, I did the same THING you DID!!! Wowwwwww

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Technically it has but it doesn't feel it when you start a new installation. The experience is identical.

Bs; a lot of people enjoy levelling alts more than being slaves of a guild leader.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you start a blood elf lately? The graphics of the first zones are basically TBC era.
    People are only leveling alts because of heritage armor for allied races. Most people would rather skip it. And guild leader? This isn’t 2010. I’ve pugged just about everything I’ve done since WoD.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

So why does the Ui need tochange? The UI is fine and addons are easy, so why do they need to constantly change the UI.

And yeah the blood elf area, they do not update every single zone every expansion...

OP says that the UI is the same. We've had unit frames and health/resource bars completely change. We've had overhauls of the LFG tool, we've had overhauls in the map with zoom features, etc... changes to action bars, and more
    We've had revamps of all Vanilla and TBC races
    We've had major revamps of caster animations and even melee abilities
    Character progression is no longer strictly gear at max level now. We had relics/artifact traits last expac, and Azerite traits this expac (which are receiving changes to be much more interactive next patch)
    We've had profession overhauls, and I mean overhauls plural
    OP must be trolling or he signed in for no more than 15 minutes and made this post lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    graphics and textures have been upgraded mannnnny times, I honestly legit think you’re bringing this up to fuck with us...
    Do you swallow whatever Blizzard says unquestionably and you are blind? TBC leveling areas are extremely dated in graphics right now whatever they tell you in text of promotional marketing.

I also forgot to mention the leveling overhaul they did. They increased mob health/damage
    Reduced exp from quests/mobs
    Increased exp to level
    Reduced heirloom power
    Dynamic leveling for 1-90. Meaning zones level with you and you can even pick you expac, you can even alternate as you desire

b) The graphics from TBC levels are still ancient and very aged

a) It is very odd that you thought it would have turned into a different kind of game while you were gone. It is an MMO, the basic gameplay is always going to be the same, just like how the basic gameplay of any genre is always basically the same over many different years and many different titles. If you are a genius and you can come up with amazing entirely new gameplays for existing genres you should be able to make some serious money.

b) I'm glad they don't waste resources on content that takes a few hours to level through. I much prefer their strategy of prioritizing work on new things.

c) I stopped using the default UI in beta some time during the summer of 2004. I am glad they don't waste resources on the default UI for the few people who still use it. It is too much of a matter of personal preference and no amount of work on Blizzard's part will be acceptable to a majority of players anyway.

d) You sound like a particularly non-technical user and as such, I don't think you can make any worthwhile statements about "the technologies it has".

e) The vast majority of hours played are at level cap so it is pretty obvious that is where the development hours will be too. It is unfortunate for the few people who want to focus on obsolete content but you cannot expect it to be otherwise.

f) You come across like someone who heard complaining about WoW is the cool thing to do and you are trying to get in on that action.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapanth View Post
    OP must be trolling
    Zapanth must not be reading because it's about non-end-game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    No on cares
    You are not everyone princess.

Do you swallow whatever Blizzard says unquestionably and you are blind? TBC leveling areas are extremely dated in graphics right now whatever they tell you in text of promotional marketing.
    Oh dear, heaven forbid you play zones from an expac almost 10 years old and are disappointed by the graphics. Why waste time/resources on zones most people wont spend longer than 2-3 hours in leveling.

- - - Updated - - -

Zapanth must not be reading because it's about non-end-game.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not everyone princess.
    Everything I said applies to pre-max level.
    Even azerite traits
    Nice try

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    The vast majority of hours played are at level cap so it is pretty obvious that is where the development hours will be too.
    That's literally stupid. Catering to the no-lifers that only care about end-game is what kills the game.

Not only that, the very same subscribers seem to mainly have fun when leveling alts some times.

And why would they change it? That time is over. Go the a new area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapanth View Post
    Oh dear, heaven forbid you play zone
    Keep moving the goal posts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    And why would they change it? That time is over. Go the a new area.
    That's stupid. A player that has never played the game may start a blood elf; they will get that zone by default right now.

Unless you have the delusion no new players start blood elves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, thats because its burning fucking crusade...
    you literally did one dungeon and abit of the bloodelf area, you have not even gone to pandaria where they really kicked up the graphics, let alone wod, legion, or BFA

"HEY BLIZZARD, THIS 12 YEAR OLD CONTENT LOOKS LIKE ITS 12 YEARS OLD, WTF BLIZZARD, THIS ENTIRE GAME IS THE EXACT SAME!"