Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Getting to 4 characters was really challenging. Now its ok, but still quite challenging. I feel limited in group composition though. Hero and Serena are a given because you simply need the healing and reliable CC is rare.
    Im at 4 dudes now and just tried the desert boss, he does two attacks at once and I cant keep up with the healing required. Plus he put serena to sleep one turn and that was just instant GG - only got veroinca to dispel it and you have to wait for her turn obviously and by then its too late

Im at like level 16 for hero/eric and 15 for veronica/serena. Will grind them another extra level or two and try again. Seem to need to grind a lot though before bosses. Which is cool I like the challenge, but when its one shotting you and you cant heal the difference at all its a bit much
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-09-19 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Yeah, I was hoping the giant bird would take her "Crikey" ass and fly off. And me and the dog would go on adventures.
    Right lol.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Honestly the worst soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Honestly the worst soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.
    Yeah does lack a bit of variety in some places.

However has that Dragon Quest feel at least.

Not gonna lie returning to Gondolia to hear the DQ8 day town music while the event was up brought a nice little tear to my eye.

Or hearing the DQ4 battle theme at the MMA tournament.

Sylvando's theme is still the best piece of music ever though. When he jumps on screen it brings a warm smile to my face.

5+ Year Old Account
    Done with postgame story. So DQ11 is a prequel to DQ1?

I don't know whether to go for Platinum or nah.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

The music isn't terrible, though I do wish it had been given the DQVIII treatment. Music plays a huge part in nostalgia and there's a few tracks I like but ultimately it didn't do nearly so much on that front as VIII did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    The music isn't terrible, though I do wish it had been given the DQVIII treatment. Music plays a huge part in nostalgia and there's a few tracks I like but ultimately it didn't do nearly so much on that front as VIII did.
    What about overall audio design/fidelity ambience ?

I'm trying to decide between this, FF15, and FF12:ZA
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

I'm terribly biased, since FF12 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's not for everybody, especially with its story involving political intrigue but of the three I'd say it's the most solid overall. If you're specifically looking for an old school JRPG, though, DQXI is the way to go. Ultimately you'd do well to get all three eventually if you can. :P

Reading some of this...people are finding it hard? what the hell.

I kill each new monster once or twice, no grinding at all, im a little past the desert boss, and have found the game exceedingly easy so far.

I don't mean to sound braggy...maybe my gear is better or something?

Funny enough, I came here to ask: does the games combat start getting harder/more meaningful eventually? While I enjoy a good story, I play RPGs for the combat and systems, and 8-10 hours in am starting to question continuing this game.

Any input?

edit: After reading about the draconian quest harder monsters option...its tempting to start over, but redoing the 8 hours sounds annoying.
    Last edited by Hinastorm; 2018-09-21 at 08:44 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post

I kill each new monster once or twice, no grinding at all, im a little past the desert boss, and have found the game exceedingly easy so far.

Funny enough, I came here to ask: does the games combat start getting harder/more meaningful eventually? While I enjoy a good story, I play RPGs for the combat and systems, and 8-10 hours in am starting to question continuing this game.

Any input?

edit: After reading about the draconian quest harder monsters option...its tempting to start over, but redoing the 8 hours sounds annoying.
    Are you perhaps new to the series? Any DQ veteran would find Act 1 & Act 2 easy. It does start to get harder on Act 3 (post-game) but mostly due to level gaps (good ol' DQ and its level gaps).

Any input?

its called draconian mode "stronger mobs". The base game is rather easy indeed.

Welp done most of the game so far on my disc that has some cuts. The one I dropped in my PS4 and so far no issues. And before anyone says it. Yes I'm a tit for leaving it in the PS4.

Seems discs are just used for DRM and a one time read and not actual gameplay after all the research I did.

Might just give the 2nd copy to my friend so he can play it. He keeps wanting to and he loves DQ a lot more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    Are you perhaps new to the series? Any DQ veteran would find Act 1 & Act 2 easy. It does start to get harder on Act 3 (post-game) but mostly due to level gaps (good ol' DQ and its level gaps).
    I found the mural boss pretty hard. Kept killing and mind controlling people so I'd have to revive em and stuff. But that's because Slyvando was the only person that could cure them at least as far as I know at that lvl and I didn't realize that as I hadn't used him at all up to that point. I had swapped him in temporarily and discovered the skill then eventually ended up reviving everyone and using him the rest of the fight which went much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    Ya, this is my first dragonquest i've made it further than a few hours.

What would you suggest I do? I'm looking for a challenge, and don't mind SOME grinding (I knew going in DQ= some grinding) but if it does get a bit more challenging as you say, maybe I can just go into fights under-leveled somewhat, and not have to start over with the draconian quest option.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    I found the mural boss pretty hard. Kept killing and mind controlling people so I'd have to revive em and stuff. But that's because Slyvando was the only person that could cure them at least as far as I know at that lvl and I didn't realize that as I hadn't used him at all up to that point. I had swapped him in temporarily and discovered the skill then eventually ended up reviving everyone and using him the rest of the fight which went much smoother.
    I don't fully remember the setup I used for that fight. I think I had Rab on healing patrol with Right as Rain and Sylvando slapping everyone around. The only Act 1 fight I found difficult was Whambelina and Sinderella, mainly because Vince was being an ass and kept waking Whambelina up. I see Act 1 as a tutorial and an introduction to the story; it's in Act 2 that things get more 'complicated'

- - - Updated - - -

What would you suggest I do? I'm looking for a challenge, and don't mind SOME grinding (I knew going in DQ= some grinding) but if it does get a bit more challenging as you say, maybe I can just go into fights under-leveled somewhat, and not have to start over with the draconian quest option.
    If it's your first DQ I'd suggest going through with it. A few hours in shouldn't really be that Hard. Unless you want to restart with Draconian mode on, I'd say Act 2 should be an Ok part for things to start getting difficult. I didn't grind any levels at all till I hit the postgame.

Make another save with a new game with Drac mode on and stronger mobs turned on and see if you prefer it, wont be that hard to catch up to where you are.

If you want a challenge its the only way to go.

I would argue it puts the game into slightly TOO hard territory which is a bit annoying when the base game is too easy then the challenge mode is also too difficult.

But I might actually try the boss I failed on again today, grinded a level each on my dudes so maybe thats enough to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah level 17/16 on all toons helped quite a bit, the stats from leveling do help a lot. Plus getting some better gear now, got past the boss and the next boss in one sitting. Starting to feel pretty powerful with using veronica to sap mobs to lower their defense, then I use cutting edge on the hero which hits for up to 100 damage now. And use daggers on eric and try put things to sleep with his attacks. Got serena with all the GG items so shes auto healing herself/getting mana back and shes free to just throw off big heals. Works nice. Just sucks when bosses take like 2 turns in a row and throw mad damage into one person. Dont have a res yet.

And I normally use serena's pep powers for more defence/mending on bosses. But on mobs you wanna kill em as fast as possible to limit their damage output on you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

Zodiac age is the one I enjoyed the most.

As a weab and a JRPG fan... DQ11, so far, has done nothing to persuade me. It feels like the game is trying too hard to appeal to nostalgia to its detriment. The only positive I see so far is the environments. I'm so sick of Akira Toriyama's character design looking identical to what he did 30 years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    OG Dragon Quest 7 is hard, none of the newer games have been challenging after 7. I facerolled the final boss in 9, 8 is pretty much a pushover if you are leveled up enough, and 10 hasn't made it into the West because it's an online game. The older games required a boat load of grinding. Even in the remake of 7 which I just completed, I had to grind job classes in order to beat Orgodemir, who can one turn kill half your party if your characters are below level 45. And he has 4 forms to go through, it took me an hour to beat him on my second time through the dungeon (4 items can be obtained that way). 7 is also one of the games that required the most grinding, it was like that in the original and the remake wasn't much different, though it is a bit easier. I don't expect 11 to be all that hard unless you are not really familiar with the franchise and expect to zerg rush through the game and steam roll every boss, which you can't really do in most game. I was very disappointed in how easy the final bosses were in 8 and 9, while any of the previous games and their remakes have had very difficult bosses.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im not having a super tuff time outside of bad rng. I usually have yumo dead in every boss though so he is really underleveled. The spider boss sucked because ibwas stuck in web/confusion combos for 10 minutes while he meleed the old dude. Also the music is awful and sounds bad. I want 8 music back.