Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I dont understand why people try to force their masochistic love of ground mounts on people who prefer flying. YOU DONT HAVE TO USE FLYING MOUNTS IF YOU DONT WANT TO. Just give us, who couldnt care less about openworld (which is boring as hell) flying so we can play the game as we want and not how you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    I mean they were talking deleting the mounts when it's all in the wings(or magical something or other) so let's go all the way on the metaphor.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently you've never heard of another thing that probably needs to be deleted from WoW before flying which are called add ons. There are plenty of add ons that pretty much can guarantee you'll be where you want to be via flying while afk.

As far as add ons I literally got death threats in game when laughing at people who were lost while playing in WoD when that one add on was broken at the start of Tanaan.
    heh. or they could just delete this particular addon, its not like they haven't broken addon functionality before. but up until your post i have never heard of the kind of addon you are refering to. addons that let me put markers on a map, so I can still to general direction - sure. but something that enables autoflight that stops exactly where i need it to, makes sure that I don't run into a face of a mountain somewhere, or a game ceiling, etc? didn't realize those things existed outside of third party botting software (which is illegal btw)

most of us when we fly? we control our mounts. even if autorun is used, its used in the same way as on the ground - just frees you up from having to hold down W, but still have to actively steer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    put a timer on it. 35 seconds duration & a 3 minutes cooldown.
    I had sone thing similar in mind. But with a longer duration and CD. Maybe 5 min with 15 min CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    There's another portion of the playerbase who dislikes flying because it decreases immersion, breaks world PVP, etc.
    Immersion is just another word for fun, which is HIGHLY subjective, and world PVP works just fine with flying. It always has. It doesn't "break", it's just has a different dynamic than grounded PVP.

NEITHER side is wrong,
    Yes, actually, one side IS wrong. Because one side is doggedly unwilling to allow the other the choice to play how they want, even when presented with suggestions and fixes that would make the choice equal and fair to both sides.

Blizzard probably has some insight into the numbers.
    The only numbers Blizzard cares about are $$$.

Another fact is that flying is so much faster than ground mounts that it effectively makes it not a choice.
    Which is why people like me keep pushing for a real change. Pathfinder is just delaying the problem and exploiting the nature of flight to generate MAUs. It doesn't actually improve the game.

because it's more immersive, facilitates more interaction between players, etc.
    Patently false. Again, immersion is subjective, and having good content that players wants to do is what facilitates interaction between players. Take, for example, the invasion events. Flying or not, the content is such that players gather and work together in order to complete objectives. Arathi rares in the new Warfront zone are another good example.

Forcing players to the ground has little effect on whether or not they interact. What's more important is giving players reasons and objectives to gather and work together on, NOT how they get to those objectives.

Then when the expansion has lost its luster, which can happen at different stages for different people because people consume content at different paces, then unlock flying for everyone. Which ends up being over half the expansion mind you. So assuming that both sides of the argument are equal, pro-flyers actually get the better deal out of the current state of Pathfinding, because they get to fly for over half the expansion as opposed to no-flyers who only get to have the no-flying experience for less than half the expansion.
    The "half the expansion" we get to fly in is only after all the content has been consumed already. The value of flying by the time players get their hands on it is maybe MAYBE 1/10th of what it should be. That's neither fair no equal, and it is EXTREMELY disingenuous to suggest that pro-fliers are "getting the better deal".

The only numbers Blizzard cares about are $$$.
    Funny how kids say that when they constantly make controversial decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    *Pretending "just handicap yourself" is a good or even sane game design solution while seething about how everyone is WrOnG!*
    Oof
    See, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Every time you no-fly guys are presented with a reasonable stance, you troll out the strawman about being "Forced" to fly or handicap yourself.

What part of "make the decision between flying and ground mounts a real choice" wasn't clear?

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    same thing that flying being added somehow constitutes a loss of magic instead of what it actualy was for a lot of us - THE magical part of finaly being able to fly, the wonder of seeing the world from above while soaring on a wings of a mythical creature, but off I go.
    While being able to see some of the smoke and mirrors ... yeah, it could have been magical, but what is gained isn't enough to make up what is lost.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They need to add flying mobs that can hit hard/daze/knock you off like the dragons in Blade's Edge, or have anti-air weaponry/mobs to pose a threat.

Another thing they could have is something like that mantid pit in Townlong that has flies that dismount you if you fly for too long in that area.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    While being able to see some of the smoke and mirrors ... yeah, it could have been magical, but what is gained isn't enough to make up what is lost.
    that's just like... your opinion. for me, nothing of values was lost by being able to fly... but so much more was gained. flight is like 50% of why I even play wow., it was the reason, yes THE reason why originally finally gave in and got into MMO's via wow back in BC. it is what sold me after successfully and easily avoiding vanilla. and thing is.. wow environments look like theatrical decorations whether you look at them from the ground or up above. the main difference is I can actualy relax and take in the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    Eh this is 100% bullshit. BFA is the first expansion where Ion was the director of the game, in Legion he was Lead Dev not Director, in WOD he was Lead Encounter Designer. Ion isn't the problem, the problem is Blizzard corporate shareholders and their execute board. They should have never merged with Activision and Blizzard should have gone public. I can't say that having Ion at the helm is entirely bad either, yes BFA has it's issues (rushed expansion) but the thing he excelled out (encounter design) is actually very well done. Raids have only improved with him being largely focused on that.
    Ghostcrawler at one of the Blizzcons around Cata said they dev team felt Flying was a mistake. That it took away from the game being able to skip mobs and go straight to the goal, but they had already opened Pandora's box and they were not sure ho they could reign it in. They have been looking at ways to reign in flying since at least 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Ghostcrawler at one of the Blizzcons around Cata said they dev team felt Flying was a mistake. That it took away from the game being able to skip mobs and go straight to the goal, but they had already opened Pandora's box and they were not sure ho they could reign it in. They have been looking at ways to reign in flying since at least 2010.
    See: Molten front

Extremely tired of people trying to ruin Flying more than it already was because Devs caved to a infinitesimally small part of the community that whined about Flying. Don't like Flying? DON'T USE IT. It's a VERY simple solution. Oh, right, I forgot people want to complain about it all day, but don't have the willpower to stop themselves from flying. *sigh* Limit yourselves. Not others.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    that's just like... your opinion. for me, nothing of values was lost by being able to fly... but so much more was gained. flight is like 50% of why I even play wow., it was the reason, yes THE reason why originally finally gave in and got into MMO's via wow back in BC. it is what sold me after successfully and easily avoiding vanilla. and thing is.. wow environments look like theatrical decorations whether you look at them from the ground or up above. the main difference is I can actualy relax and take in the sights.
    Yeah, if you think I can believe that nonsense, you are crazy. If flight is what sold you, I would say you were never interested in the game at all.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Yes, SUCH a mistake.....thats why they went back and remastered the entire open world of vanilla zones to allow it......riiiiiiight.

Maybe you should link the actual quote or video so we can have the proper context.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    no meaning in writing in caps friendo. Its not reasonable no matter how much you repeat it. You argument is working on the same 200 IQ Arm Chair Developer level reasoning of people that say "undertuned content is no issue, just take your gear off!"
    You're just proving my point.

You're barking at an argument I'm not even making because you're too focused on hating anything to do with flight to see what's actually being said.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2018-10-07 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Yeah, if you think I can believe that nonsense, you are crazy. If flight is what sold you, I would say you were never interested in the game at all.
    that's like... your opinion man. news flash. not everyone plays for the same reasons you do or has the same priorities that you do or appreciates the same selling points that you do. but given that flight was one of the major selling points of BC, kinda like allied races are for BFA... yeah.

god you people are hillarious. pittiful, but funny in your own way.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    The only reason flying is "harmful" to the game is because Blizzard has gone out of their way to design the content to specifically ignore its existence! Flying didn't harm anything until Blizzard changed the game itself to be anti-flight!

Also, I literally just pointed out, on this same page, that my preferred option was to change how flying works in order to fit into the game better!

And you have the balls to claim that pro-fliers are the ones being too stubborn to see?!?!

FFS! /facepalm
    There is no interesting content for flying mounts. Flying up or down places like Storm Peaks isn't interesting enough to always design around. If the game were built around flying, it would still need nerfs to the flying mechanic because of how silly it is. When you're in the air any time you move further than 20 yards then it's just silly. That kind of game is a borderline flying game.

I'd love some realistic physics for flying mounts. Hovering gryphons are strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Severn View Post
    I'd love some realistic physics for flying mounts. Hovering gryphons are strange.
    See, here's the interesting opportunity that Blizzard is missing out on by not making a more in-depth mount system. What we COULD have is a part of the game where each mount has it's own advantages or abilities. Ground mounts could have things like waterwalking, or leaps, or staying mounted in combat. Flying mounts might have hover, others might be faster, but only get to glide. Some might have parachutes if you get dismounted.

There's a lot of ways they could make it more fair and interesting without being stupid OP like flight is right now. They'd just have to be willing to sink a little time into setting up the basic systems.

But they'll never do that because it's easier to use a formula that boosts MAUs and doesn't have any real depth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    See, here's the interesting opportunity that Blizzard is missing out on by not making a more in-depth mount system. What we COULD have is a part of the game where each mount has it's own advantages or abilities. Ground mounts could have things like waterwalking, or leaps, or staying mounted in combat. Flying mounts might have hover, others might be faster, but only get to glide. Some might have parachutes if you get dismounted.

There's a lot of ways they could make it more fair and interesting without being stupid OP like flight is right now. They'd just have to be willing to sink a little time into setting up the basic systems.

But they'll never do that because it's easier to use a formula that boosts MAUs and doesn't have any real depth.
    That last sentence describes Blizzard in everything.

They should just revert to their original design from TBC: Ground Mounts should be faster than flying mounts