Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The more I think of it, classic might be a bit fun. Not that I would play it that much, but just to get that feeling back. Think most will be disappointed how easy raiding will be compared to vanilla, but the thing with having one difficulty, more difficult dungeons and so on will be nice.

Shame it isn't TBC. Gimme those raids back damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by drori8 View Post
    so basically = i'm QQ because the people that want classic got what they want and i'm jealous. ok, sorry mate, classic is real, classic is coming if you like it or not.
    You go that from what I wrote? lol, OK.

it comes down to money mainly. private servers have proven that the demand is there and blizz finally realized that people will pay them in order to get legit stable vanilla realms so that's why they're doing it. This will also give them even more legitimacy to shutting down private servers because they'll be offering that content again
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Why are they doing it? Simple, they think they can make money off it, end of story. They don't care if people wanted it, don't care for the feels or anything, they just want to make money and see classic as a easy way to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    to make more money. lol, it's obvious..

they want to take the money from all hardcore gamer who only love vanilla with the monthly sub (you could tell me that those players could pay with gold, well good luck with vanilla currency lol)

that said : i play wow since vanilla and will probably remake the warrior elf i've played at vanilla for the fun when i have nothing to do in bfa live, because well, i've loved that warrior tank ^^ and remind me the nostalgia that will probably pop while leveling it
    I dont see how the vanila currency coment makes any sense,if the sub is shared,plus even if the sub will be separate and they did make wow tokens for vanila,they wont be as high as on current wow,the price will reflect the market,proly will cost like 500-1000g depending on how much gold is farmed

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    You go that from what I wrote? lol, OK.
    yea coz all i see you is bitching about classic dont have this dont have that and what is the reason to play classic and people play classic only because "n0stalgia l0lzors"

these excuses that people like you making over and over again like a broken record just coz they can't understand that people actually like the vanilla gameplay and not because only nostalgia are getting tiresome and pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I dont see how the vanila currency coment makes any sense,if the sub is shared,plus even if the sub will be separate and they did make wow tokens for vanila,they wont be as high as on current wow,the price will reflect the market,proly will cost like 500-1000g depending on how much gold is farmed
    anyway, purist players will tell there should be no gold token " BECAUSE IT IS VANILLA, SO BLIZZARD, I WARN YOU, DONT TOUCH MY VANILLA FULL OF BUGS "

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    it comes down to money mainly. private servers have proven that the demand is there and blizz finally realized that people will pay them in order to get legit stable vanilla realms so that's why they're doing it. This will also give them even more legitimacy to shutting down private servers because they'll be offering that content again
    I can't deny that the main reason is money. Of course it is money for a business like Blizzard.

Instead of improving the current game, blizzard now also tries to make easy money from people's nostalgia with little effort.

That is why I think it is a very desperate way.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeVeRLiFt View Post
    nailed it!

ps: LFR ruined server communities and the knowing people on your server and bonding
    The only people I knew on my server were the people I raided with and the people that talked too much in trade chat.

No pet/mount/toy collection tab - Players typically had one or two pets, one or two mounts (maybe three if you got a pvp mount), and a few toys. Not a huge problem.

No LFR/LFG - This was a problem, but the introduction of LFG and LFR can be linked to the decline in communities in game.

No transmog/reforge - Eh, not a huge deal, as raiders mostly wanted to display their tier sets anyway.

Weapon skills - Annoying, but not as big of a problem as some may portray.

Spell ranks - As a healer, I loved ranks. I could raid heal all day using low ranks.

Key rings - Key rings were introduced in BC (during IQD, to be exact, when we got special bags). During Vanilla players had what, two, three actual keys? (UBRS and similar items that worked as both gear and a key don’t count.)

Reagent for buffs - Minor annoyance for some, but a pain for Paladins (5min buffs sucked).

Arrows, bullets, poisons, etc - Yeah, this (and Warlock shards) was bad.

No in-game quest helper (not even quest helper addon, check thottbot or whatever) - Reading quest text solved most issues.

Compared to today, raid boss mechanics were crazily simple, and class rotation were almost non-existant - Yes, but for its time, these were fine.

and ofc vastly inferior graphics - 2004 tech vs 2018 tech. What would you expect?

Of course there are some things that may not be as good as retail, but a lot of people like the simplicity of the game back then. Combine that with the much more interesting talent trees, the lack of gimmicks like artifact weapons and azerite gear, and much better communities, and a lot of the shortcomings can be overlooked. It won’t be for everyone, but there will definitely be a devoted base.

Wrath still had spell ranks, weapon skills, arrow, bullets, poisons etc.
    Wrath didn't have mount/pet/toy tabs.
    Wrath didn't have heirlooms/transmog
    Wrath had mount tab and heirlooms.

Because despite what some people may think, there actually are people that genuinely enjoy the way Classic WoW is over modern WoW. It isn't all nostalgia and rose tinted glasses. Blizzard obviously thinks there's enough to be profitable.

Deleted
    You call them issues.

I call them discontinued features that enhanced the game.

Quote Originally Posted by braxkedren View Post
    Listen to ClassicCast and its told how since players wanted this, and Blizzard likes to give players what they want, an engineer looked into it and said it could be done. Now here we are.

For you maybe...but the millions of people that have left it wasn't enough. The people currently playing we all hear about their disapproval daily...

So many things that made the game better

WRONG!!

Yes mechanics have gotten harder. What game hasn't gotten harder. It didn't stop the bleeding edge guilds from faltering though did it. Lame, tired MEME being thrown around think of something better

You all keep throwing this around like its something horrible. You know what, Nostalgia is what brought Classic to everyone.
    nostalgia means you remember a time that you played the game that invokes a better time than what you get currently. There's players now with Nostalgia of Legion. you're saying their wrong and that BFA is better than Legion? Say it and get laughed off these forums. that's nostalgia. remembering a time that the game was better for you.

Because new MMO players never got to experience the golden age of MMO's that had depth, character building, community building, progress you could measure by what you gain and could actually use, increased power levels and so forth. itmes that you had to actually go out and work for the moment you made your character. You don't get that today.

Hell, Blizzard could effectively REMOVE LEVEING past level 100 and you wouldn't even notice it because none of those levels give you anything. It's another gated content for you to go through, to get to gated content, behind gated content and your grind for Azerite you currently have.

Vanilla leveling gave you a measure every, damn, level. Retail doesn't give you that.

Blizzard doesn't just do anything, even if the players want it. They see money in this for sure. Especially with the retail game going down as much as it is.

Yet you said you played Vanilla but this makes it sound like you actually didn't...because you'd know that while there is a grind..like I mentioned above, it pays off in measurable ways vs the numbers you see on a neck item you have now.
    Do you realize that it is 2018 not now?
    Do you know that today's gaming market is very different from 2004?

If you are expecting today's players to enjoy slow grinding and build community like vanilla in 2004, then I can guarantee you will be disappointed.
    There will be hardcore fans that will enjoy classic. But it is laughable if you think most players will enjoy your so-called meaningful/slow character building and "golden age" of MMO

And I can make a very clear prediction: WoW Classic will be a "failure"/small niche. It will not die out soon because it has a hardcore fan base. But it will not be big or popular.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    The only people I knew on my server were the people I raided with and the people that talked too much in trade chat.
    I made friends with people and joined multiple guilds based on dungeon runs. It’s been almost 12 years since my raid guild failed during the transition to smaller raid sizes in BC, and I’m still friends with some of the people I met in Vanilla. And even if I didn’t know many players, I knew who a whole lot of them were - even the other faction players.

No pet/mount/toy collection tab
    No LFR/LFG
    No transmog/reforge
    Weapon skills
    Spell ranks
    Key rings
    Reagent for buffs
    Arrows, bullets, poisons, etc
    No in-game quest helper (not even quest helper addon, check thottbot or whatever)
    Compared to today, raid boss mechanics were crazily simple, and class rotation were almost non-existant
    and ofc vastly inferior graphics
    Really not a big deal for back then. There were far fewer mounts etc to collect and we have a bank.

Good, LFD crushed server communities and is one of the main driving factors for Classic to return.

Reforging has been gone for years now. Transmog, while I enjoy the system for what the game is today. But it'll be nice to be back to where your gear can showcase prestige.

Weapon Skills are tedious, I never liked them but they were part of the game.

Spell Ranks added another sense of progression while leveling. While minor, it's nice being able to hit X level and get a talent point as well as upgrading a spell.

Not really a big deal.

Reagents weren't that big of a deal.

Having to stock up on arrows and craft your poisons or go out and stock up on soul shards all added a RPG layer to the respective class. Sure it's not something massive, but it's the small things that got plucked out of the game that have added up over the years.

There were resources back them to aid you with quests and even 1-60 guides giving you optimal paths. Though that's kind of the thing with Vanilla. You didn't just follow a game UI showing you where to go the whole time. You grabbed the quest, read what you had to do and you did it. Sometimes you got lost, sometimes it took ages to find a certain something. That was all part of the Vanilla leveling experience that people truely miss. For those that want to get to 1-60 asap they can even do that. 1-60 has been mapped out to death and people know optimal paths.

Yes, raids were mechanically simple and so were peoples rotations by todays standards. I think for a lot of peoples it's not about having a mechanically difficulty challenge of a complex rotation, but more of the experience. Very, very few people actually got to get through original Naxx while it's current or even AQ40 and now we're getting another shot at experiencing these raids as they were.

For old players, the only reason to play classic is for nostalgia, as the only thing better we had back then was probably the community, which will never come back again. You liked classic back then because it was new, but classic servers will never give you that feeling because it was a 10+ years old stuff you have played again and again.
    You're not 100% wrong here. I'm sure a large amount of returning players are in it for the nostalgia, but not everyone is.

For new players, I don't even see why you would like to play an old game that is inferior in almost every way compared to today's wow.
    Because it's something different. Classic and BFA are totally different experiences. New players might in fact enjoy what Classic has to offer more than what current WoW is.

As for blizzard, why do they even make classic servers? We have different versions of the same game because there are some vanilla fans? And what is next? TBC servers for BC fans and wrath servers for wrath fans in the future?
    The push for Classic WoW has been going on since the game stopped being Vanilla WoW and just increased as time went on and as the game changed more from what it was in 2004-2006 to what it is now. Also having more recent events kind of blow up the push for Classic and far more people speaking up for their desire about it.

I think you're just missing the point as to why people want Classic Servers. We accept that Vanilla has some more tedious features (3s mount cast, dumb flight paths, awkwards but loveable quest design)
    Last edited by Renx; 2018-10-17 at 02:19 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I try to explain Classic to friends this way.

Imagine you were making green beans. Some people, like my brother, really enjoy JUST the green beans.

I really enjoy green beans cooked with bacon. My brother occasionally enjoys green beans cooked with bacon.

I feel like green beans cooked with bacon and onion is the best way to eat green beans. But my brother is disgusted when onions are in the green beans.

Some people really like to add potato. Some people like to add carrots. Some people like to add tomato juice and other vegetables.

Some people like green beans. Some people like vegetable soup. Both are good. Both have their place. Both are two totally different experiences and should be enjoyed as such. If you don't like vegetable soup, you should still be able to enjoy your green beans.

Most of what you listed helped ruin the game in the long run though.

Just going to copypasta something I've already written

Last year I gave in and tried a WoW private server that was at Ony patch and here's a few things I learnt about why things don't feel the same.

Leveling is slow, a day of questing could only yield half a level. Because of that, you need better gear which you would only get from dungeons and group quests. Rather than being in insocial tool, I actively looked people out:

"hey, are you doing X? Cool, mind if I join? Hey my friends a rogue and wants the defias mask, can I inv? We're all here, lets grab a healer and another DPS and do DM?"

Because leveling was soo slow, if I couldn't play for a weekend, the chances are my friends would only be 2 or 3 levels different than me and would usually be cool helping me catch and I do the same to them. This was a continuing theme throughout my experience.

Another big thing I noticed in the little class quests they give. The druid form quests are still great and yeah they're long-winded but they give a sense epicness. I really earn the ability to transform into this bear or that.

Or you're level 40 and you still don't have enough to get your mount so you're running everywhere (barely any flight paths) and you come across a lowbie who wants to do a group quest but can't find anyone. So you help him out, and it sure as hell beats running back to OG that's for sure. You help him out a little, and then a bit more, you add each other and you continue onto OG so you can go get your new abilities.

The city is crazy busy, people everywhere. Yelling for sells, portals, mats, boosts for lowbies (2g for a run in WC so you can do your quests). Seeing some guy hanging around on his epic mount with after just getting his T2 shoulders. I never thought I'd be jealous to see someone with shitty t2 but there he is and I'm jealous somehow.

Nostalgia is the train that takes you somewhere but it won't keep you there. I still play Vanilla Wow and still enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the Cata, MoP, WoD (when I stopped playing).

I think WoW Classic was not originally a Blizzard idea, but rather a request from a lot of players and fans.
    Yes.
    Old school Warcraft had an appeal we don't see in online games these days, every mmorpg takes a theme then tends to go ham with it, including wow so the first vision of their game is/was the best.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.