Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blizzard is sponsoring big youtubers to play WoW - they seem desperate

I've never seen sponsored WoW videos till now... When apparently subs are really low.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    inb4 bfa is great you are just a cuck crowd

Infracted: Spam [MoanaLisa]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-10-18 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    I've never seen sponsored WoW videos till now... When apparently subs are really low.

As an aside, Burnie (Creative Director, Rooster Teeth - Owner of AH) recently started playing WoW again after a decade and that was apropos of nothing. He then tried to convince Gus to give it a go. Jack's played it on and off for years. So this isn't a huge leap. It is weird to see Blizzard sponsoring AH but it's not unprecendented. They just used to hit streamers instead of Let's Players.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen more sponsored streams in general, I think companies are starting to wise up to the power it has for promotion.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

7+ Year Old Account
    Advertising is a sign of desperation?

Where can I sign up to play WoW and get paid?

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, if things are bad for a product or if it is in a dire situation, usually the marketing budget is the first thing to get cut. A decrease might result in more advertising, but only if the decrease can be reversed, a small decline is fine, a nose dive? not as much.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    To those of an inferior intelligence, perhaps. Keep in mind some people aren't capable of common sense, let alone critical thinking. And people are literally grasping at straws to find a reason to make a negative BFA thread. Fortunately most of these people are rather... dumb.

Also, WoW has sponsored public/streamer players to play for YEARS now. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    Have a large subscriber base ready to watch whatever shit you stream/upload.

Didn't Blizzard sponsor the Game Grumps to play WoW too? They made a whole skit out of it and everything. I mean, it does kinda seem fishy but they've done it before. It's not a certainty that it's done out of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    People haven't quite accepted that developers advertise via having influencers show off their product. I dunno why. I guess when you reduce it to "omfg bliz pay a guy to say bfa is good111" (which isn't what happening, of course, but this is merely how they reduce it) it's easy to look at and think it smells of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkrypt View Post
    To those of an inferior intelligence, perhaps. Keep in mind some people aren't capable of common sense, let alone critical thinking. And people are literally grasping at straws to find a reason to make a negative BFA thread. Fortunately most of these people are rather... dumb.
    Unfortunately, they are also persistent and prolific.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are people so desperate to "prove" that Blizzard is going under?

It's like, every day there seems to be some new "evidence" of total calamity and the OP is all like "HAH GOT 'EM, THEY'RE FUCKED NOW"
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

This only seems desperate if you don't know of Blizzard's history of sponsorship.

I agree BFA has some serious issues to it, but all this reaching is really unnecessary
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

In all seriousness... What game company doesn't do that? This isn't new or outlandish. It's common and has been happening for years now for most major companies.

Next on MMO-C : Blizzard is working on a new patch, that show the game is sinking.
    MMO-Champion, once the place to get WoW News, now the home of the haters and their clickbait and doomsaying threads

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    “I’m ignorant of a thing that has happend before. WOW MUST BE DEAD”

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Or maybe you have never seen a streamer advertise a product before? Company paying a streamer to advertise their product is not really that new.

Maybe Blizzard finally decided to try this form of advertising?

What is this obsession with wanting to see BFA or WoW to fail? Did it kill someone or do something terrible to their lives?

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    It's not but somehow people just have to show it to Blizzard.
    You and Calli both read my mind.
    Blizz does anything and "omg Blizz is so desperate/moneygrabbing!"
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    Well first you have to be internet famous...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    Didn't Blizzard sponsor the Game Grumps to play WoW too? They made a whole skit out of it and everything. I mean, it does kinda seem fishy but they've done it before. It's not a certainty that it's done out of desperation.
    They did do Guild Grumps... but wasn't that some kinda charity thing instead? I can't remember if it was sponsored or not and would have to check.

EDIT: actually iirc Danny did nope the fuck out of it in the first or second episode so I really do doubt it was sponsored.