Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Inside the Nicest Place in America, a Syrian refugee-owned falafel shop in Tennessee

Some good news for a change.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Living/in...ry?id=58414615

A falafel restaurant opened by a Syrian refugee in Tennessee has become a pillar in his community, and a gathering place for people from all backgrounds and walks of life to come together over food.

Yassin's Falafel House in Knoxville was the winner of this year's Reader's Digest Nicest Place in America accolade.

"America is the winner. Knoxville is the winner. Tennessee is the winner," the restaurant's owner, Yassin Terou, told "Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts after learning he won. "It's not me."
    More from
    How a free public library is becoming a beacon of hope in Baltimore
    How a yoga studio near Fort Hood is serving its military community

He continued, "I think this is what makes us the winner, is the people in this country, not us."

The sign posted at the entrance to Terou's restaurant reads: "All sizes, all colors, all ages, all sexes, all cultures, all religions, all types, all beliefs, all people, safe here at Yassin’s Falafel House."

PHOTO: Yassins Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., was picked as a finalist for Readers Digest Nicest Places in America. ABC News
    Yassin's Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., was picked as a finalist for Reader's Digest Nicest Places in America.
    more +

Roberts paid a visit to the restaurant earlier this year, where she met with Terou, a refugee who fled war in his home country of Syria seven years ago.

Now the owner of two wildly popular falafel restaurants in Tennessee, Terou has become a local symbol of the American dream

He said he feels he "had a second chance of life to be in United States."

PHOTO: Yassin Terou, owner of Yassins Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., opens up in an interview with GMA. ABC News
    Yassin Terou, owner of Yassin's Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., opens up in an interview with "GMA."

“I just want to tell the American people, you are a great people," Terou said on "GMA." "Everybody loves you and we know you love everybody. We are going to keep this country great and we’re going to build it together."

Terou recalls it was not always smooth sailing when he first arrived in America, though, in part because he wasn't able to speak English very well.

He said he learned how to "handle hate with love."

"When you love and give your love to people, you are stronger than one who gives hate," he added.

'When you love and give your love to people, you are stronger than one who give hate.'

PHOTO: A worker at Yassins Falafel House opens up in an interview with GMA.ABC News
    A worker at Yassin's Falafel House opens up in an interview with "GMA."

Terou put Roberts to work in his kitchen, saying, "today we are making heart-shaped falafel," and showing her how to properly make the mix and fry them.

His restaurant is more than just about food, Terou added.

"Yassin's Falafel House is about family, about love, about building community," he said. "So we make sure when you get your food, you smile and feel love with it."

Many of the employees in his shop are also refugees, Terou added.

"I want to say thank you to Yassin," employee Hunar Muhammed told "GMA." "He give me a job ... he helped me a lot."

PHOTO: Yassins Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., was picked as a finalist for Readers Digest Nicest Places in America. ABC News
    Yassin's Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., was picked as a finalist for Reader's Digest Nicest Places in America.
    more +

Knoxville mayor Madeline Rogero said she feels the city has changed a lot in recent years, saying, "New businesses like Yassin's have come in."

"But also as a community, I think we're more welcoming," Rogero added.

Rogero said she believes Terou has "really torn down people's perceptions" of "refugees, of Muslims," in the "heart of Appalachia."

PHOTO: Yassin Terou, owner of Yassins Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., opens up in an interview with GMA. ABC News
    Yassin Terou, owner of Yassin's Falafel House in Knoxville, Tenn., opens up in an interview with "GMA."

Terou said his final message for those who hear his story is: "We need to keep building bridges, we need to keep the American dream."

'We need to keep building bridges, we need to keep the American dream.'

"This is in our hands," he added. "And we need to transfer it in a better situation for the next generation."
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-10-21 at 02:14 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

the attention on it will attract some bad people, probably.

but it's cool and all. i'd never tried falafel before, will have to one day.

also, he seems like an ok guy. hopefully he can work his way to full citizenship.

If they're willing to work and integrate it usually goes very well. This is not an exception that confirms the rule, it's actually the norm if those two starting conditions are present, at least where I live. Hell, I might just indulge the craving the article gave me, there's an Egyptian guy who fled here and opened up a place that sells kebab and felafel among other things.

Deleted
    Hey look, someone who immigrated legally, who has become part of his adoptive community whilst also maintaining a link to his own culture and helping to spread knowledge of his own culture.

Whats the point of this thread?

This is a very common immigration story. A vast majority of immigrants are of benefit to their new home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    This is a very common immigration story. A vast majority of immigrants are of benefit to their new home.
    Source with exact data needed.
    Otherwise, nice propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Hey look, someone who immigrated legally, who has become part of his adoptive community whilst also maintaining a link to his own culture and helping to spread knowledge of his own culture.

That this should be how any immigrant should conduct themselves when moving to another country, to give back to the country they emigrate to, not just go there expecting handouts or that its okay to force their cultural on the country already there (the owner of the shop isn't forcing his culture on others, its there for people to come and find out about)
    #boycottchina

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shawarma > Falafel

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'd never tried falafel before, will have to one day.
    For real?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    LOLWOT?

Well let's start with nearly the entire population of the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Shawarma > Falafel
    Kufta > Shawarma

Love me some falafel!

According to Yelp reviewers, they've also got great food. Looks pretty delicious in the photos too - love the olives with the platters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    For real?

LOLWOT?

Well let's start with nearly the entire population of the US.
    You sure? How much of the entire US population today wasnt born in the US?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Look at how awesome LEGAL immigration is! Wish this guy all the success in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to see all the anti-immigration (and refugee) people say "this is how its supposed to be done!"

oh wait...its already begun...

We'res all the, "they are rapists taking our jobs and our welfare!" now?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can't wait to see all the anti-immigration (and refugee) people say "this is how its supposed to be done!"

oh wait...its already begun...

We'res all the, "they are rapists taking our jobs and our welfare!" now?
    The illegals are, what do you expect from criminals anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Are you on of those charming folks who doesn't want anyone foreign or dark-skinned in your country even if they do so legally and follow the laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Demasiados View Post
    The illegals are, what do you expect from criminals anyway?
    Well in the US most of them pay taxes for a start.....

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    He won a prize for having the nicest business in the country. It's a country of 330 million so it's quite the accomplishment.

And he's a Syrian refugee.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He won a prize for having the nicest business in the country. It's a country of 330 million so it's quite the accomplishment.

And he's a Syrian refugee.
    Not to say that his shop isn't nice or deserving, but I highly doubt they actually checked, more likely then not it was just a customer or friend nominated him and RD thought It would make a good story... it's kind like my last job where we almost always got a spot for "hero of the City" in the paper, no one actually wanted to do it because it honestly was just a waste of time and the paper had no real idea who the hell we where beforehand... or after for that matter lol...

Like I said I'm not saying he isn't a good man who owns a good business, i'm just not sure Readers digest is a good is a good metric for anything... that being said grats to him for winning it I guess.