Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm one of those people who never replays games if there's no alternative walkthough. Occasionally I do install older games to try playing them again, but I get bored really fast because I start remembered all the details fairly quickly >_> Recently, I tried to replay FO:NV, but I didn't even get our of the first village T_T

The same applies to movies and books, the only exception is music :P

And no, I don't have any issues w/ Classic itself, I'm not interested in it, its fanbase though, hehe... Damn, some people are insufferable.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-10-20 at 03:38 PM.

I listen to old music that was good, and watch old movies that are classic.

I don't often bust out my old Hanson or New Kids On The Block cassettes though.

Vanilla content was crap compared to modern WoW content, I don't see any reason to go back and relive it.

We're officially getting Vanilla WoW servers.

Why are we still arguing with those that are against it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I kid you not, almost no one i knew raided back in vanilla, and if they did it was mostly molten core. Raiding was a bonus/side activity, only for a tiny amount of people was it the focus of the game.

Yet when you see people criticising classic most times its about end game balance, pretty lol worthy.

This. Blizzard themselves stated that only a small minority raided in vanilla and less than 1% ever saw Naxx.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    Boo, get your reasonable logic out of here. I want to add modern synth to bohemian rhapsody! Just for quality of life.
    hahaha thats very well said

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookysheep View Post
    This. Blizzard themselves stated that only a small minority raided in vanilla and less than 1% ever saw Naxx.
    Wasn't it 1% who cleared Naxx, otherwise I'm part of that 1% and I think many more than 1% of the player base would have killed the first boss.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-10-21 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..tried to...yeah..that can mean anything. Didn't Classic have 8 million subs at the end...I mean...1% is 80 000 ppl, right? Clearing it would be like 2000 guilds. If you google it, claims are between 23 and 66 guilds cleared Naxx...that is a bit far off. Did 2000 guilds attempt to do anything in Naxx...well, your guess is as good as mine...but apparently it was so few people, that the result didn't justify the work put into it and we got a simpler version in WotLK
    Well I replied to a post that said "ever saw", I'm sure it was greater than 1%, I remember the 5% number being thrown around.

Just checked, sub numbers were 7m for the start of TBC, 6.5m the quarter before that. I think it would be fairer to go on the 6.5m number, although they were at 6m when AQ40 was released.

59 guilds cleared Naxx, you needed more than 40 raiders, impossible to say how many raiders of each guild cleared it, would be fair to average it at 50. So just under 0.05% cleared Naxx. I'm now positive far more than 1% saw Naxx.

Hmm title says 59, but the actual list has more, guess you can't edit titles? I would count any guild prior to TBC release.

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/..._cleared_naxx/
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2018-10-21 at 07:01 PM.

Christ. New accounts furthering the Classic vs Live toxic community divide how cute.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I am not against Vanilla
    I am against the trolls shitting on live
    I am against having a Frankenstein classic WoW
    I am against Blizzard pulling resources from live
    This 4th comment, in spite of Blizzards confirmation otherwise, just brands you as entirely selfish. Something I have loathed about the anti-classic rhetoric.
    It is, and I use this word with consideration, a repugnant attitude to hold as a gamer. I’m happy to explain the why in more detail but I expect it is self evident.

I agree wholeheartedly with your 2nd point. FWIW I’m a 2/8M raider on live and expect to play on both.

Live needs less resources, too many cooks have spoiled the broth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

I am against this post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omegaffxi View Post
    ever go back and play old video games you grew up playing?
    Except said old video games were reworked into something different, but "kinda" same. Look at XCOM for example, original game won't even run on modern PC, it got fixed by community of enthusiasts, but it had a lot of changes. Changes to UI, to hotkeys, to character management, to difficulty (original game always run on easiest or hardest difficulty, i can't remember exactly at which, but it used one difficulty regardless of what you've chosen), so overall it's not the same game, it has A LOT of changes to make it playable in modern time.

So yeah, you should be expecting that, and people who sit there and yell "we want vanilla with no changes" are just ridiculous and delusional, and thing is - it won't be exactly the same game, you won't have to deal with all the bullshit others had to deal with, which, to be fair, takes away from the experience, makes the game more refined than it used to be and i simply don't think that i'll like it, it makes me to not care about it, and it gives me lots of enjoyment seeing people clashing at each other over trivial shit, talking about stuff they both don't know about, you know, usual stuff on forums

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    I'm one of those people who never replays games if there's no alternative walkthough. Occasionally I do install older games to try playing them again, but I get bored really fast because I start remembered all the details fairly quickly >_> Recently, I tried to replay FO:NV, but I didn't even get our of the first village T_T

The same applies to movies and books, the only exception is music :P

And no, I don't have any issues w/ Classic itself, I'm not interested in it, its fanbase though, hehe... Damn, some people are insufferable.
    I recently installed operation silent storm to revisit it, because i remember it being really good when i used to play it. Couldn't stand even 15 minutes trough tutorial. Early characters are shitty balanced (1 hit out of 20 pistol shots on your only soldier, while enemy shoots your arms off reducing accuracy even further), voice acting is atrocious, controls and graphics are crap, memory of certain exploits and "cheaty" missions (at one day there is a bank robbery mission that pops up, if you get a lot of high str characters in there you can take away lots of cash and buy best shit and best characters) kinda ruins the initial "exploration" aspect of the game... So i just deleted it and went browsing for something new instead. Jesus, nostalgia is a shitty thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "you think you do but you don't"

lol

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JRNlX8f0FjQ/maxresdefault.jpg

yeah man vanilla sucks, nobody plays it, it's a bad game, everyone's just going to log out before level 10
    Nice job linking an image of a private server that is obviously inbetween switching to a TBC server so everyone has grouped up in the same place for a last goodbye, read the fucking chat.

Totally representative of the game, especially since every single one of those would 100% play classic, even the ones that want to play for free..

In case you are blind to sarcasm, the image means fucking nothing.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    /facepalm

I think A LOT of people are misunderstanding what is going on with classic "development".
    Devs are merely doing what is called "database normalization". They are importing all old table data into new tables with a more efficient structure.
    Tables are like excel files but they are relational and work with one another by joins. The new database is easier on processing and doing this reduces latency and load times. EVERYTHING from the old server will be there but arranged better. The core of the server will technically change but not in any way that will be noticeable by the end user aside from performance. I keep seeing so many people say "see, it will not truly be classic or vanilla"... people clearly know NOTHING about databases. The other difference is battle.net integration. This is primarily for security and authentication.
    Except he's right and so you are. Blizzard themselves talked about this and that's why in the underlaying code you will find stuff like the Transmog system but it's disabled. Why else do you think they had job openings for modellers to recreate old ones?

I am not against Vanilla
    I am against the trolls shitting on live
    I am against having a Frankenstein classic WoW
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaffxi View Post
    Are you against trolls shitting on Vanilla though? What is Frankenstein WoW? And Blizzard said they hired a new team for Classic and have stated it will have 0 impact on live.
    I don't think this is a case of "trolls shitting on Vanilla" because Vanilla isn't what is being discussed here. Let me divert for a moment.

I DO reread old books, and I do re-watch old shows. But there's a HUGE problem between this comparison and Vanilla WoW. Old books and old shows are held immutable on the media they were printed on. Much of the old code that comprised Vanilla is gone. Furthermore, much of what made Vanilla the experience is the community and the new-ness of the game/genre.

Now let's connect. I have no problem with Vanilla. It was a great game for its time, and I played it, enjoyed it, and moved on. Most people clamoring for "Vanilla" want something that's not possible to bring back. Many of them do so by disparaging the Modern game. There's a problem here. Vanilla hasn't been around for 14 years, and you can't catch time in a bottle. The experiences they're looking for do not exist any more, and the game they remember playing never existed (as taught by my psych class, people either remember things worse than how they were, or better than how they were) as they remembered it.

There have been a lot of good changes to the game as time has progressed, and I think a lot of people have forgotten that. Most people asking for Classic don't acknowledge that they're chasing a memory, but instead prefer to bash what's currently around.

What I really want is people to temper their expectations. To acknowledge the bad things with Vanilla, as well as the good things, and to recognize that the Vanilla experience they remember cannot be re-created. WoW classic will be a new experience that mimics something they remember, and what I really want is people to realize that the mimicry isn't the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I kid you not, almost no one i knew raided back in vanilla, and if they did it was mostly molten core. Raiding was a bonus/side activity, only for a tiny amount of people was it the focus of the game.

Yet when you see people criticising classic most times its about end game balance, pretty lol worthy.
    It happens because everything is explored and spoiled into the public, so (most of) the public have no interest in exploration and what vanilla actually was (you know, a long journey to the end that you'll never reach), so they argue about "the best version" of vanilla, judge it by end content and how "finished" experience is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Killing boars in elwynn is more engaging than warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    What I really want is people to temper their expectations. To acknowledge the bad things with Vanilla, as well as the good things, and to recognize that the Vanilla experience they remember cannot be re-created. WoW classic will be a new experience that mimics something they remember, and what I really want is people to realize that the mimicry isn't the same thing.
    This is repeated too many times, while ignoring, many people still play vanilla private servers 14 years later. It's not about "nostalgia", it's fact, that WoW, at some point, was RPG. That's why people want Vanilla back.

Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    Killing boars in elwynn is more engaging than warfronts.
    Ofc, and leveling weapon skills is so much more exciting than island expeditions

Quote Originally Posted by Naustis View Post
    people are not agains vanilla, but its community. Community that tries to show how much better vanilla was, how mucb harder it was, and how much it will be better than the modern wow.
    Ahh jealousy