Poll: When did you start?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I first tried it out on US open beta and picked up the game on EU release day. Logged in to live at 1am due to trouble logging and and creating characters at midnight!

Fun fact, one of the biggest online stores in Sweden delayed all shippings besides WoW on the day before release, so I got my copy in my mailbox 3 hours after ordering at lunch time!

my account was created in March 2005

Deleted
    Last few weeks of tbc/beginning of Wrath

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mid Vanilla. When BGs were new and everyone was talking about them but I had no fucking idea what was going on.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

US Open Beta 2004....long time ago

Last 3 weeks of beta and started live the day it launched.

AQ war effort patch. Made my first character, a human knight. Found my way to Stormwind. Wondered what that spinning gear tunnel was. Cool a train, let's see where it goes. Whoa, Ironforge, I read about this place in WC2. Ok, left or right from the gnomes? Eenie meenie minie moe. Left it is. Whoa! Look at all this bazillions of questgivers! I don't even know where most of this stuff comes from. Do I have to do all of this myself?

Ahh, the newbie days.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Vanilla open beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Yes, it is.
    It looks like you are a millennial and think you're always correct...

You have failed once again, nice try though. Since you are a millennial, I assume you need to be rewarded for trying, because your generation is too sensitive to know the truth, so here is a cookie. Good job little one, way to go!

Late vanilla, a bit before TBC came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    June 2005 on one of my local internet cafes public accounts ( Yes they had public accounts here in Egypt :P ) then I got my own account on August 2005 from the UK

15+ Year Old Account
    Very first playable version, my uncle let me visit his office and try the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    My first experience with wow came during the closed US-beta.

Jan 2005 - US - Illidan - Tauren Warrior baby

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Some time during classic, no idea what patch but it was probably 2005. I had tried a few others already, Mabinogi, Lineage, Second Life, Rappelz, and dunno how many others I can't remember anymore. But my main game at the time was Ragnarok Online.

Tried WoW because a friend kept rambling on about it and I wanted him to stop. I was vaguely familiar with the WC franchise but didn't get into it, was too little when I played it. Picked a human paladin and got online, started giving my opinion on the zone to my friend and he realized I had picked Alliance, to which he started mocking and insulting me, which began my hatred for the horde by that's another story. As for the game itself, combat was extremely slow (compared to RO's focus on skill spamming and constant positioning, but decent compared to other 3D MMOs), you had no control over your stats (most RPGs then let you allocate stats upon creation and upon leveling), you had a set progression of skills (most RPGs back then let you allocate skill points), and while the talent trees were alright everything else was so restrictive and slow and easy... So I quit after about 15 levels to go back to RO.

The time I did come back for good was probably a couple of months before the WotLK cinematic was revealed, by then I did know more about the story from playing WC again and a friend I had at the time was a huge fan of the franchise so he filled me in on details that weren't in the main games, when the cinematic released it got me excited, and then the Scourge Invasion was so amazing it basically made me sub for good, before that I just got game time because I knew I wouldn't play it long. And that's the account I still have today.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    July 2005

I had just finished my second year of university, and decided over the holidays to play this game. I have been meaning top pick it up when it was released but I didn't have the funds. (being a poor art student lol), but I totally got some money saved from a weekened job I had been doing that I poured it into the game and subscription :P

Oh the simple days
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-10-23 at 01:37 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    At a friend's house, very late in 2005 (so about a year before BC came out).

I went out and bought the game myself the next day.

I started with private servers in TBC and began retail in Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Most people are making shit up, as statistically, the game gathered most of its players during BC and Wrath. That you aren't seeing anything even remotely close to that in this poll is telling.

It's much along the same lines as if you were to make a poll saying "did you raid original Naxx? Yes or no", there'd be an overwhelming yes vote.
    Yeah, I was expecting Wrath to dominate the poll, followed by TBC. I don't know if I could say most people aren't being honest, though. It's only ~300 votes and could've just been where the chips fell.

That said, I'd love to see a poll of "Did you play WoW on the first day?" or "Did you play the beta for WoW?".