Thread: Housing in WoW

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Combat is central to WoW. TO pretend otherwise is either disingenuous or stupid. We're adventurers confronting and defeating challenges by engaging them in combat either alone or with allies.

Decorating houses is NOT central to WoW.
    While you may be right, it shows how little RPG elements remain in this supposed MMORPG. It's no wonder that the game is in its current state.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

5+ Year Old Account
    If garrisons we got in WoD where representative of the best they can do on the subject, then I dont think player housing will happen for a while. Garrisons where originally supposed to be able to be placed in a few different zones I think, and then tech issues made them go with the standardized placing. Then there was very limited customization, and it was generally very lonely sitting in an instanced zone for half the time. I've seen private servers let players build and host events in instances phases, and when you let ppl have unlimited build power you get a) amazing crafts and fun areas b) unlimited trolling to spawn random junk and just screw with the server. And when building is limited, it's usually not as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    While you may be right, it shows how little RPG elements remain in this supposed MMORPG. It's no wonder that the game is in its current state.
    This is pretty much my feeling on it. A core thing that's become central to almost every MMORPG game on the market and WoW barely touched the idea.

You see people posting shit like "no fuck that this game is about combat" and it's little surprise to me anymore why WoW is the shell it is now. There's a vocal chunk of this community that does not want this game to actually grow in a direction other than instanced combat-based content in any way and can't see why others would want something like that.
    The game more and more reminds me of a lobby-based, half-assed Diablo MMO than an actual RPG and the players themselves are all too eager to see it keep going in that direction. Even the idea of a new feature that isn't strictly about instanced combat is practically impossible to imagine these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    What's funny is this is the same argument that was given about the transmog feature and it's subsequent revision to the collection section. Yet, here we are and I don't see any people talking about the lost raid tier that transmog consumed or how it detracts from the game.

This is outright false. Saying it could have been an entire expansion or two of content is pure hyperbole at this point. That aside, look at the fantastic communities in ESO, Rift, and so on. Players love this stuff.
    I i agree with all your points (づ◔ ͜ʖ◔)づ
    Housing is a really popular in system GW2.It's still not on the level of Rift/ESO/FF14 but it is getting there.Also i agree with you about transmog.Collecting outfits,mounts,pets,toys is one of the best things in a MMO.GW2 is just a dress up but Blizzard saw it is very popular aspect and added it to WoW.

You can get very competitive gear by playing solo / not being social at all, why not make a better version of housing? (LFR, LFG, WQ & Emissaries)

FF housing is fantastic if you can afford it and they make HEAPS from the store, surprised blizzard hasn't stolen that idea...

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    housing is the last we need in this game. total waste of resources to invest them into something as dumb and stupid as housing
    Housing is definitely NOT the last we need.How can it be a waste of resources if it make you go to open world and do stuff?Gathering nodes needed for the items in your personal house or Guild hall.You can even do group activity inside.Why are you calling it dumb and stupid i can't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Why do we need player housing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Why?
    I will answer once to both your questions.Just look the videos which i posted in my OP on the 1st page and you will know why.
    Last edited by dragnipur; 2018-10-29 at 05:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of all the housing iterations I've seen in games. How ArcheAge is set up (minus all the certificate nonsense) is great.

Even in Wildstar, RIP, housing was a gimmick only a handful of people actually used, and housing in that game was the best MMOs had to offer. It's probably the only thing that game's devs actually did right.

I play ESO and most people there don't really bother w/ housing, they either aren't creative enough or just cba.

Moreover, housing is quite difficult to implement, you basically have to have a world editor that's available to users, you have to design many systems around this feature.

And lastly, this game has been in need of a character customisation overhaul since the very beginning, it's outdated even back in 2004. It's 2018 now, and guess what? We're still using the same rudimentary system from 2004. What makes you think that they're going to add player housing then, eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I would like to disagree.... but I can't. Hell, I enjoyed the little touches... making poisons on my rogue, getting Blindweed for Blinding powder etc.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I would like to disagree.... but I can't. Hell, I enjoyed the little touches... making poisons on my rogue, getting Blindweed for Blinding powder etc.
    wow was designed from the beginning to be an rpg lite. wow is still an rpg lite. you dont want to play a game where you need to eat every 2 hours and poop 2 times a day.

I'll have guild housing over player housing any day. With that said, I'd totally have both.

This is the same shit people have been asking for since Vanilla. It's not happening, let the meme die.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    wow was designed from the beginning to be an rpg lite. wow is still an rpg lite. you dont want to play a game where you need to eat every 2 hours and poop 2 times a day.
    TBF, most MMORPGs are RPGs lite. It applies to FF14, ESO, and others as well...

The only somewhat recent exception is probably SWToR, but those devs gave up on making an MMO early on, it's pretty much a "single player" game w/ real people instead of NPCs running around here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Impossible on obsoleted Wow engine, that doesn't support any dynamic geometry. Only pre-compiled one.
    This is the real reason.

We don't have real player housing because it's impossible with the current code base. Wishing for it isn't going to help.

I'd love to build a cozy, little tower on my mage somewhere, so I'd be down.
    Granted it doesn't end up like a chore like Garrisons largely did. I liked some of the profession hubs and the tidbits some of them had, and the storehouse was a nice convenience. Player housing could have similar hubs in them.

It could even have a fireplace function that increases your rested bonus and XP gained. That way it could stay relevant to future expansions (in terms of leveling, anyway).

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, these custom houses look ridiculously stupid. I like the way garrisons worked where you chose which building you wanted and it had a specific plot where it would go. When players have too much freedom in customization, they make some really hideous things. The ugly transmogs we see today are already pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    This is why we need guild housing / airships / ships.

It will always be relevant to what ever expansion were in. Star Trek online does it, SWTOR does it and it works
    Honestly i think arships are tbe best route for wow..hell not like we aren't already recognized heroes who go to EVERY DAMN BATTLEFIELD sooo why not let us build/be awarded an airship we can carry between expansions for our guild/smaller one for personal use

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolo View Post
    Housing could be amazing! But with soul, social interaction and purpose.

The soul should be lots of costumization options, diferent building assets for diferent races, with diferent building sizes. Lots of forniture, for diferent races also, and diferent types, from chairs, tables, sofas or beds to kitchens, water apliances, gardening...

Social interaction should be paragon. You don't live in your lonley dimension, you live in a neighbourhood, with other players, maybe guildies, and you can visit them, and other neighbourhoods, so you can experience what others build. Or even... your home is not only yours, maybe you can share it with otherplayers if you want, close friends or family, and you all edit and build it.

The purpose is also very important. The housing system has to generate content itself. Maybe buying your lot and the buildings could be a gold sink, or getting it could be a reward of a reputation. Fornitures could be also content, having actual or a new professions build them, searching the recipes in dungeons and farming mats. Houses should acomodate other game systems, like pet battles (pet tournaments? visiting pet traders?), profession workshops (better yelds?, less materials spent? ilvl upgrades?), banking and resting (buffs for being well rested at home?), museum (for archeology, achivements, transmogs), pvp content (a mini arena?)... And housing should generate new content, neighbourhood pve invasions, pvp attacks to the houses of the other factions to damage them and force repairs, furnitures tied to minigames, npc's which give misions in the outter world, options to hire or get the services of NPC's for your home...

That would be very cool. Garrisons, nop.
    I feel you want a ffxiv type housing system then

Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post
    I'll have guild housing over player housing any day. With that said, I'd totally have both.
    Guild halls will be a nice addition.
    Last edited by dragnipur; 2018-10-29 at 06:40 AM.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrysis View Post
    This is the real reason.

We don't have real player housing because it's impossible with the current code base. Wishing for it isn't going to help.
    I wouldn't mind instanced housing in the form of guild or player housing. As long as we'd get a wide enough variety of locations, buildings, etc. to choose from in order to make it feel more unique. The garrison system seems like a good prototype for this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    I'd love to see guild halls in WoW
    That would be really nice indeed.