Poll: Do you agree with Don Lemon on this issue?

Page 1 of 52
... LastLast

Is Don Lemon right about who are the biggest terror threat to this country?

This story has been blowing up on twitter, but the real question is: was Don Lemon right?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...-no-travel-ban
    CNN anchor Don Lemon declared that "the biggest terror threat in this country is white men," adding that "there is no travel ban on them" in an exchange that has prompted rebuke from conservatives on social media.

"I keep trying to point out to people and not to demonize any one group or any one ethnicity," Lemon said to fellow CNN anchor Chris Cuomo during a handoff of their respective programs late Monday. "But we keep thinking that the biggest terror threat is something else, someone people who are marching, you know, towards the border, like it's imminent."

"And the last time they did this, a couple hundred people came and they — you know, most of them did get into the country, most of them tired — you know, got tuckered out before they made it to the border," he continued.

"So, we have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them," Lemon concluded. "There is no travel ban on them. There is no ban on — you know, they had the Muslim ban. There is no white guy ban."

Lemon was referring to a ban preventing travel to the U.S. by nationals from five Muslim-majority countries introduced by the Trump administration in early 2017. The Supreme Court upheld the ban in June on a 5-4 vote.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The only solution I see is further identity politics, surely this time it will heal the wounds.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

It's statements like this that push more voters to the right

Lemon is a racist scumbag,nothing of worth to get from his rant

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    i'd put it down to religious values and bigotry over statements like this
    <insert witty signature here>

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i'd put it down to religious values and bigotry over statements like this
    not really,it makes a lot of those "evil white men" feel like the left is against them
    so they go where they don't feel persecuted and targetted,it just makes sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Unstable people are the biggest terror threat to this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    Like losing the civil war, darkies having the right to vote, women saying no to them...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    The only solution I see is further identity politics, surely this time it will heal the wounds.
    You mean ''BAD'' identity politics, not ''GUD'' ones like '' I have a big gun and a CSA flag''

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    not really,it makes a lot of those "evil white men" feel like the left is against them
    so they go where they don't feel persecuted and targetted,it just makes sense
    makes sense to crazy people maybe...

if you're not a bigot, racist or fascist, none of it applies to you. unless you really are racist, bigoted or fascist

it's quite easy not be complicit by calling out racist/xenophobic/bigoted/fascist bullshit when you see it and not letting it slide.
    Last edited by smokii; 2018-10-31 at 03:50 PM.
    <insert witty signature here>

LOL. THAT actually made it onto the air, yet the internet is banning trump supporters left and right. #mindblown

we cant even name a dog breed when it attacks its owner, or a persons ethnicity when they commit a violent crime (for ooooobvious reasons /s) but we can legit attack straight white men. Men by and large wholly responsible for making this country, you know.. a thing.

country hellbent on driving itself into the gutter.

always tell my wife, i wish heaven was a thing. ooooh to be able to look down 100 years from now at the undoubted shitfest the kids made.
    Last edited by klepp0906; 2018-10-31 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    This story has been blowing up on twitter, but the real question is: was Don Lemon right?

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...-no-travel-ban
    You might play pretend, but yes, actual terrorists attacks since 2001 were overhwelmingly committed by white men. If the guy from Pittsburg had been called Amir, your kind and kin would be on your knees begging to nuke Moldavia, since it starts with a Mo and is thus the same thing as Morocco.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    LOL. THAT actually made it onto the news, yet the internet is banning trump supporters left and right. #mindblown

country hellbent on driving itself into the gutter.

always tell my wife, i wish heaven was a thing. ooooh to be able to look down 100 years from now at the undoubted shitfest the kids made.
    When the sows at the Donald instantly ban people who are not day dreaming about being taken from behind by the POTUS, are you calling this ''BANNING'' ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he shouldn't have brought race into it. Whites are still a big majority in the USA; in any proportional distribution, whites are likely to be most prevalent.

Now, that most domestic terrorists are right-wing, and almost none are left-wing, over the past two decades or so, that's just a straight fact. There's a serious issue with right-wing radicalization in the USA, and unless people can admit to that, we're never going to have a shot at fixing it.

If you want an image of what the average American domestic terrorist looks like, though, it's an older white guy who votes Republican. I don't think the age or race are determinative of the radicalization, but they're still technically accurate.

Its true tho. For all the shit people bitch about immigrant crime rates and muslim terrorists, its usually white dudes that are responsible for terrorism in the USA. The synagogue shooting, the bombs thing. And we don't have these muslim bans or that much fearmongering anyway. I think its great to throw some shade at conservative hypocrisy, too bad people are PC about it.

"White guy ban" lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Fat People Falling View Post
    Considering 70% of politically motivated killings and terror incidents are committed by right wing extremists, 25% by Islamic extremists and only 5% by left wing extremists... and then consider most right wingers are white males, so I guess Don would be right but I don’t agree with bringing race into it. The blame is on far right people in general, and those are who we should be afraid of. Not white people.
    Just out of curiousity, if you were to account for 9/11 in those terror statistics, what would they look like?
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    You might play pretend, but yes, actual terrorists attacks since 2001 were overhwelmingly committed by white men. If the guy from Pittsburg had been called Amir, your kind and kin would be on your knees begging to nuke Moldavia, since it starts with a Mo and is thus the same thing as Morocco.

- - - Updated - - -

When the sows at the Donald instantly ban people who are not day dreaming about being taken from behind by the POTUS, are you calling this ''BANNING'' ?
    k, now lets look at a few statistics. (motive withstanding which id argue is quite relevant to the take on said label). White men perpetuating a crime, vs # of victims, vs # of white men.

its kind of like the fbi database that tracks violent crime. When a particular 5% of the countries population is responsible for almost 60% of the countries violent crime, you dont simply say "white men are just as big-of-terrorists" because theyre responsible for the other chunk.

nobody is arguing people taking live for silly ass reasons all willy nilly is a sign of a large mental inadequacy, but shoehorning in a label that doesnt fit for drama or agenda is nearly as vile and a solid marker of the left media these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Just out of curiousity, if you were to account for 9/11 in those terror statistics, what would they look like?
    oh, and this.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're talking number of attacks or number of offenders, it would tick up Islamic terrorism slightly, but wouldn't come anywhere close to the levels of right-wing terrorism.

It would set a new high point for fatalities caused, but that's why it's generally excluded; 9/11 was like no attack beforehand nor since. It's an outlier that skews the trend lines if included.

So, we have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right.
    Technically true.

Just like stating that black men have a higher chance of ending up in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If we're talking number of attacks or number of offenders, it would tick up Islamic terrorism slightly, but wouldn't come anywhere close to the levels of right-wing terrorism.

It would set a new high point for fatalities caused, but that's why it's generally excluded; 9/11 was like no attack beforehand nor since. It's an outlier that skews the trend lines if included.
    Excluding 9/11 from these statistics is like excluding the Holocaust when talking about Jewish persecution

"So we have to stop demonizing people, and realize the biggest terror treat in this country is white men"

The way he said it makes is seem as if all white men are a treat, the irony is he demonizes all american white men after saying people should stop demonizing. however what me meant was that the majority of "terrorists" are white men, which is probably true and not supersizing since men are more prone to violence then woman and the majority of american men are white.

Yet due to the touchy nature of this topic and the implications statements like these can have I think what Don Lemon is doing here is extremely stupid, if you're unable to convey a message properly you should refrain from doing so.

Is Don Lemon right? Obviously not, the biggest terror treats to the US come from outside of the US but due to the restrictions in place and the work of certain agencies and people these treats are kept at bay. If you look at US domestic terrorism over the last 10 years white men are underrepresented when compared to the nation's demographic, so he's wrong about that too.

Is there a problem with the rise of extreme political violence? Probably, but unfounded accusations aren't going to fix this at all, if anything they'll widen the divide.