Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Frost mags nerf on PTR

Can anyone on PTR confirm that they're nerfing the snares on Frozen Orb and Blizzard? Haven't seen much talk on it except for the spell change description.

If true, it's a pretty big hit for M+.

Deleted
    Thank God.

It's fucking bullshit at the moment how frost has everything. The same damage as fire/arcane (more on huge aoe), and all the utility. Personally I hope they nerf it into the ground - frost is by far the most boring spec and I absolutely hate being forced to play it on very high keys just because its fucking broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not against frost being the CC spec with high utility, but you can't give it as well as much or more damage than then other specs. A fo/blizzard/comet storm shatter combo, in 5 seconds, does more damage than 30 seconds of arc or fire aoe, and is ten times more useful, it's a great thing it's nerfed, but I feel it's not in the best direction. Nerf damage, not utility.

Or give back some utility to the other specs, remember 50% slow on flamestrike ? Why was it nerfed to 20% again? fucking hell blizzard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torian kel View Post
    I'm not against frost being the CC spec with high utility, but you can't give it as well as much or more damage than then other specs. A fo/blizzard/comet storm shatter combo, in 5 seconds, does more damage than 30 seconds of arc or fire aoe, and is ten times more useful, it's a great thing it's nerfed, but I feel it's not in the best direction. Nerf damage, not utility.

Or give back some utility to the other specs, remember 50% slow on flamestrike ? Why was it nerfed to 20% again? fucking hell blizzard
    Just give the others something, anything. Hell, give arcane rogue's shroud or give fire a stun, they don't all have to be slows and it's fine for the specs to have different utility. It's just not fine for 1 spec to have all the utility, others to have none and it do the same damage. That's the bullshit thing.

In the current class design where most specs are complayining of boring and clunky gameplay I would have thought that buffing underperformers would be a better approach than nerfing utility and damage.

The new Azerite traits better be something.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Tbh frost extreme slows were not only standing out of the crowd in m+, also in pvp. Wouldn't be surprised if pvp balance concerns contributed to the nerfs. 15 sec slow with just the application of 1 spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Tbh frost extreme slows were not only standing out of the crowd in m+, also in pvp. Wouldn't be surprised if pvp balance concerns contributed to the nerfs. 15 sec slow with just the application of 1 spell?
    Realistically it's all because of the MDI and M+ in general that classes are seeing nerfs.

Top tank in M+? DK by miles. Blood takes a hit.

Top DPS in M+? Frost mage, DH, Rogue. All taking hits, some big.

Top Healer in M+? Well, MW nerfs should be hitting the PTR very soon if they haven't already.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Realistically it's all because of the MDI and M+ in general that classes are seeing nerfs.

Top Healer in M+? Well, MW nerfs should be hitting the PTR very soon if they haven't already.
    There are no MW nerfs on the PTR, nor are there any changes coming to them. Disc/Hpally are just as much, or more, capable as a MW, even a Druid.

Blood is still great in M+ as well. Let's face it, it's a bit irrelevant what "the best" is when you start pushing keys that are more or less irrelevant at this stage anyway other than "I did it" points.
    Last edited by La; 2018-11-01 at 08:35 AM.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

I dont see an aoebuff to either arc or fire so this is a nerf to our entire class in m+..

Im kidna hoping they buff arcane aoe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbernator View Post
    Thank God.

It's fucking bullshit at the moment how frost has everything. The same damage as fire/arcane (more on huge aoe), and all the utility. Personally I hope they nerf it into the ground - frost is by far the most boring spec and I absolutely hate being forced to play it on very high keys just because its fucking broken.
    You're mentally challenged, if you think frost is more boring than 2 button arcane. Frost is the ONLY viable spec in high mythic+, this is a nerf to us as a whole fool.
    GL getting an invite when all you bring is biscuits and lust.

Deleted
    Thank God.

Instead of making other specs interesting, let's make every spec trash. Yup, sounds like something only mmo-champion forum could come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Was kind of expecting a damage boost.

Frost is dead last in Heroic Raiding.
    Yeah it's weird. I am lucky enough to be able to raid as frost since my guild figures bringing the player and not the spec is better - and now that we're on Zul we definitely need a slower.. But compared to our arcane and our fire mage, and of course the rest of the raid, frost is lagging behind a lot.

Just nerfing our aoe damage, our slows and not doing anything to help ST is a crippling blow.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post

Conversely, the bottom DPS in raids - Frost Mage

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...gregate=amount

Again, I really have to wonder if Blizz designers play this game outside of their own narrow groups. While they are busy addressing the burst of a Frost Mage in M+ and the supposed advantage in PvP (is that why you see tons of warriors, pallies, DH, and rogues in PvP and not all that many mages?), they are going to completely bust the spec in raids.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nobody likes getting nerfed but also nobody likes being forced into a spec. What's wrong with being forced to choose between damage or utility?

Thank God.

lol what? The AOE damage is good (within the orb window) but the ST is nowhere near fire or arcane lol. The utility matter little in Raids but the snares are important for Mplus of course, otherwise why bring a mage at all? Aside from int buff or TW

- - - Updated - - -

Thankfully we have the early bosses on mythic farm - so the damage hit won't matter as much, fetid is done as arcane anyway.

But overall its very concerning they are nerfing the DAMAGE aspect of a spec that is already near the bottom of most charts. The snares don't matter as much for raiding, but it basically kills frost for mplus in 12+ keys, Unless you need TW, not bringing a mage

Deleted
    for people complaining about frost nerfs in relation to raids: we get an aura buff. they nerf our utility and aoe, but buff overall damage.
    so it sucks for m+, but shouldnt change to much in raid tbh.

also i feel like many people are forgetting fire. it is at a decent place atm in raid and in m+.

many high keys have been completed as fire instead of frost.

i am excited to see other mage speccs in higher keys if the nerfs are enough to bring frost in line.
    tbh the worst nerf is the 15s > 1.5s change in my opinion. that was actually one of the most useful features of frostmage. especially with blizzard being stationary and having a cd. frost alone will not be enough to perma kite anymore. or at least frost will have to actually rotate abilities right, which will decrease damage obv.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Conversely, the bottom DPS in raids - Frost Mage

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/st...gregate=amount

Again, I really have to wonder if Blizz designers play this game outside of their own narrow groups. While they are busy addressing the burst of a Frost Mage in M+ and the supposed advantage in PvP (is that why you see tons of warriors, pallies, DH, and rogues in PvP and not all that many mages?), they are going to completely bust the spec in raids.
    It’s pretty obvious blizzard hardly cares about raiding any more.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Shaoxy View Post
    for people complaining about frost nerfs in relation to raids: we get an aura buff. they nerf our utility and aoe, but buff overall damage.
    so it sucks for m+, but shouldnt change to much in raid tbh.

also i feel like many people are forgetting fire. it is at a decent place atm in raid and in m+.

many high keys have been completed as fire instead of frost.

i am excited to see other mage speccs in higher keys if the nerfs are enough to bring frost in line.
    tbh the worst nerf is the 15s > 1.5s change in my opinion. that was actually one of the most useful features of frostmage. especially with blizzard being stationary and having a cd. frost alone will not be enough to perma kite anymore. or at least frost will have to actually rotate abilities right, which will decrease damage obv.
    Some quick math will tell you, its a overall nerf, even on ST by a touch, and quite a bit on AOE.

Utility is no longer any different to any other mage spec

the ST damage is among the worst, with weak CD's, the AOE damage was the only thing propping it up and even then the sustain was lower than DH,Rogue and Warrior

FM was LAST in heroic raiding and midpack in mythic raiding.

Other mage specs might be "viable" in Mplus, but if you were picking those over the same geared same quality FM, you were doing it wrong.

the question is, why reduce the raiding damage when it was already in the bottom 50% in almost every scenario over the course of a fight. The overall damage will need to be buffed 4 to 5% to offset the other losses. Then it would make sense. But at 2% its a dps loss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    You're mentally challenged, if you think frost is more boring than 2 button arcane. Frost is the ONLY viable spec in high mythic+, this is a nerf to us as a whole fool.
    GL getting an invite when all you bring is biscuits and lust.
    welcome to the world of 70% of all other dps classes?