Thread: Rarity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    --- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2018-11-01 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Removed Giant Image
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    I'm not bothered at all, you're the one who came on here to start a thread an whine about all the little people you look down upon having a tiny chance to get the same stuff you have .

In your OP you clearly state that other people having the same thing as you makes the game worse. That's an entitled, elitist and frankly pretty pathetic attitude.
    You must be very bothered... because my OP doesn't say anything about what other people get. If you invest the time/effort/research... you deserve everything you work for... if you don't then it's because you don't want it.

Classic will offer this type of rewards... I hope to see you there!

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Video games have just changed.

If you look at the games that require more "effort" (honestly means you have more tolerance for RNG and waiting doing nothing...to me anyway) like what you're talking about - and look at their sub numbers. And then look at WoW and other MMOs with the WoW loot model and their numbers.

Money talks.

There will always be a NICHE in gaming for those who want what you want - what we are now calling "old skool" MMOs. Where rare was "rare" because of all the effort and time it took. Before instanced dungeons and instanced areas that meant you weren't camping to complete with 300 other gamers. all waiting HOURS on their turn at POSSIBLE epic rare loot. Before mob spawn time was reflective of how many people are in the zone and adjusted, when they were instead on set timers and whether you had 20 people waiting to kill it or 200 - it only spawned that one time in so many minutes/hour. Before loot ever took your class or anything else into account and you could get drop after drop of crap you could only vendor.

There will always be those games - and they will be small and niche - because no, not everyone found MMOs fun when they were like that. MMOS were a niche market, for years and years, because of that 'difficulty'. It was only when WoW, literally, changed the GAME (and the genre) from what came before, that the genre EXPLODED and we have the standards we do now. Standards that mean those old skool model games are faded out and then were shut down, because they coule no longer bring in the subs in competition, nor stay with enough subs to stay even solvent. EverQuest I and II, Asheron's Call, etc.

Go looking for those few games left - they are still out and about. You'll (maybe) be happier.

But the whole genre isn't about to go backwards. The new standard is to shoot for millions of subs - when back then you were great to get a few hundred thousand. And investors were happy with that. They aren't anymore.

The box has been opened, it won't be shut. But there will always be the niche for those who want to go back. You just gotta look to find them - and then accept the limitations that come with that model.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Deleted
    Ehmm too bad that current game desing to get as much money does exact opposite it makes players quit game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It came to me today what I am missing from WoW... Rarity.

Very little in game is "rare" anymore. Epics come from everywhere.... even simple quests. Even rares, respawn every few minutes but give no real loot.

When you consider what IS still rare in the game (mostly mounts/pets), Time Lost Protodragon, Ashes of Alar, Aeonaxx, Invincible, etc... these are things still highly camped/worked for. Why? Because they are rare. yes, yes... we are seeing plenty of Ashes, Invincibles, etc, but thta is only because it has become more and more accessible to try, and now that having many alts is commonplace, more weekly chances. But even then, there are still plenty of people trying to get these.

I think the game is lacking in rarity... mostly due to how the game has evolved to be more time friendly.. allowing people with limited time, couple hours a weeks or so, to still accomplish most everything in game. I mean good for them... but it has removed so much of the awe and wonder from the game.

I hope that Blizzard ocmes up with a away to add these things back into WoW... it's fine if takes a whole expansion to get all epic'd out... heck even if you don't get every piece "purple".. make the game fun and rewarding... and part of that is make things rare to get.

Almost never is something easy to get, worthwhile to achieve.
    You mean gear rarity and it's still there dude. It's just no longer differentiated by color and specific item but by ilvl.

Op you're looking for a Classic echo chamber with a side of circle jerk and that's in another section of forums.
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    You mean gear rarity and it's still there dude. It's just no longer differentiated by color and specific item but by ilvl.
    Nobady cares about itemlvl.

No.. I mean rarity as in rare. Items that don't drop often. But yes, to a lesser degree, item "color" was an indicator of rarity.

Think about it... Blue quality was called "rare", Green is "Uncommon"... but in recent years... Purple is Common.. what USED to be white.

A part of the game that is missing is the wonder... that "OMG" moment when a flash of purple text appeared in the loot window. Heck in Vanilla green gear caused a small celebration YAY moment.. and blues? WOOOHOOO YEah BABY!

You don;t get that if you have to do math in your head to determine... is THIS Woohoo moment? You may have gotten a very SMALL taste of that in legion when you got a legendary drop... They were relatively "rare".. but no more than what Blues used to be back in the day.

Loot is no longer exciting... at all. In town, I woudl see someone with an awesome looking pair of shoulders or helm... or weapon... I'd inspect them and drool.

They wren't elitist buttheads to me, and I wasn't a special snowflake... I just saw something cool and recognized the player for putting in the time to get that piece.

Now I can see someone in all "epics"... inspect them and see a helm that is titanforged to max and a socket... I congratulate them and they say :"Dude... it was a world quest reward for clicking on 10 squirrels and 12 nuts.

Except it doesn't, because you can get a 395 item from pretty much anywhere for just being lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Video games have just changed.

If you look at the games that require more "effort" (honestly means you have more tolerance for RNG and waiting doing nothing...to me anyway) like what you're talking about - and look at their sub numbers. And then look at WoW and other MMOs with the WoW loot model and their numbers.

Money talks.
    Again, let's see how Classic goes. If my OP has any merit.. Classic will be very successful (meaning $$$ for Blizz). If not it will fizzle in 6 months and truly MMOs as a genre will be pronounced dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Except it doesn't, because you can get a 395 item from pretty much anywhere for just being lucky.
    You can, but what if it were that 1 trinket that drops in that 1 instance and you need it to drop from the weekly chest? It's actually rarer but yeah it's perceived differently.
    The excitement is gone mostly, and that would be normal after all this time, like after gearing full sets over some expansions, doing that again would also feel a lot less exciting.

BfA has like 4 zone drop mounts with a 1/4000 chance. It also has three 1% dungeon mounts from mythic dungeons, one 1% pet from mythic dungeons, and many more obscure rare things, just listed those that I'm most interested in. (PS. Of course there are 5 expeditions mounts that if you tallied their chance is also like 1 in 1000).

The game may be lacking some things, but it's certainly not lacking rare drops/rewards and RNG.

It came to me today what I am missing from WoW... Rarity.

Very little in game is "rare" anymore. Epics come from everywhere.... even simple quests. Even rares, respawn every few minutes but give no real loot.

When you consider what IS still rare in the game (mostly mounts/pets), Time Lost Protodragon, Ashes of Alar, Aeonaxx, Invincible, etc... these are things still highly camped/worked for. Why? Because they are rare. yes, yes... we are seeing plenty of Ashes, Invincibles, etc, but thta is only because it has become more and more accessible to try, and now that having many alts is commonplace, more weekly chances. But even then, there are still plenty of people trying to get these.

I think the game is lacking in rarity... mostly due to how the game has evolved to be more time friendly.. allowing people with limited time, couple hours a weeks or so, to still accomplish most everything in game. I mean good for them... but it has removed so much of the awe and wonder from the game.

I hope that Blizzard ocmes up with a away to add these things back into WoW... it's fine if takes a whole expansion to get all epic'd out... heck even if you don't get every piece "purple".. make the game fun and rewarding... and part of that is make things rare to get.

Almost never is something easy to get, worthwhile to achieve.
    I agree, it's made that sense of accomplishment go away and I miss it.

Unfortunately, the way Blizzard has made WoW now, it won't ever go back to the way it was with those kind of things, it's all about the give me now, give me quick else I throw a 2 yr old temper tantrum, even adults do it. I play with 4 guys in their 30's and they all complain when they don't get something and quick... I just laugh how bad it's become. I blame both the players AND Blizzard for the way things are. On one hand the players bitch and complain when things either take too long to accomplish or are too difficult to obtain or do and on the other hand Blizzard caters to those people changing things and making them easier. It's a shitty thing in all reality and it won't ever go back. It's the very reason I don't think the Classic servers will last very long... Things took longer and were more rare/harder to come by.
    Last edited by Extremities; 2018-11-01 at 05:09 PM.

Vast majority of players don’t want to treat the game as a second job. That’s your answer.

I farmed Invincible because it's the best looking mount in the game even 10 years later, not because it's rare. I use it on almost all my characters I love it so much. I was disappointed with Al'ar. It's a lovely mount from a distance, not so much in your face. I wouldn't have coveted it had I known what an eyesore it is to ride.

I do miss when the Wintersaber was rare because it wasn't due to RNG, it was because almost no one wanted to do the rep grind for it. Cata made getting it a joke though.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Davryn View Post
    Vast majority of players don’t want to treat the game as a second job. That’s your answer.
    That's not the answer to anything. It's not even relevant to the thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    BfA has like 4 zone drop mounts with a 1/4000 chance. It also has three 1% dungeon mounts from mythic dungeons, one 1% pet from mythic dungeons, and many more obscure rare things, just listed those that I'm most interested in. (PS. Of course there are 5 expeditions mounts that if you tallied their chance is also like 1 in 1000).

The game may be lacking some things, but it's certainly not lacking rare drops/rewards and RNG.
    And how many mounts. pets, titetls and other stuff game currently have? Like hundreds or thounsands? I cant see anyone giving *** about any of that anymore becouse there is so many of them. Blizz overflow game with this type of rewards every expansion that they stoped matter several years ago. If you want make rewards relevant you have to remove them when content gets absolote and do not preserve them for playeres coming from newer expansions. Thats how you keep exlusivity and raryti to rewards. Not by lowering drop chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Davryn View Post
    This argument is just plant stupid. Since when gaming become scond job? Like never? If you ever felt that game felt like job problem was in you. You proably played wrong game for wrong reasons. it wasnt and isnt fault of game desing. Things you call "second job" i call fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, let's see how Classic goes. If my OP has any merit.. Classic will be very successful (meaning $$$ for Blizz). If not it will fizzle in 6 months and truly MMOs as a genre will be pronounced dead.
    6 months? Than it will last 6x more than BFA ever did. BFA was dead adter 4 weeks so 6 months is for 14y old game pretty good.

Do you have Invincible and Ashes of A'lar?

Is that the smell of freedom you started sensing?

Rarity has been gone for a long time brother.

The right man in the wrong place, can make all the difference in the world!
    Wake up Mr Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Do you have Invincible and Ashes of A'lar?
    I have both since Cataclysm.