When We Pay for a Service, It's a Privilege to Use the Service...

So we have people that believe that even when you pay for a service it's a privilege to use the service! I guess that means it's a privilege to use electricity...I pay for it but... Then it must be a privilege to pay for internet access, heck your provider may choose to cut you off if you don't deem it so! lol We pay to play games on the internet, so it must be a privilege that the provider allows us to play! I guess Walmart must be a privilege also, they allow us to shop in their store! Don't speak about McDonalds! Really? NO, it's is a privilege for a provider to have us using their services not the other way around...

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Then stop using their services and show them whos the boss?
    YOU MATTER JUST LIKE BLACK LIVES MATTER

15+ Year Old Account
    Im gon take a guess and u ment to post this drivel/rant on GEN OT forums.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Yes, it's a privilege, one which can be revoked should you behave like an ass. Doesn't matter what business, thinking you're entitled to a certain experience because you're PAYING, doesn't shield you from possible consequences or perhaps not even enjoying the product on offer.

It's then up to you to behave better, or stop consuming the product and spend your money elsewhere. Capitalism, there are bound to be other venues for your needs.

People like the OP = why it's a fucking nightmare to work in retail/customer service...

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yes, it's a privilege, one which can be revoked should you behave like an ass. Doesn't matter what business, thinking you're entitled to a certain experience because you're PAYING, doesn't shield you from possible consequences or perhaps not even enjoying the product on offer.

It's then up to you to behave better, or stop consuming the product and spend your money elsewhere. Capitalism, there are bound to be other venues for your needs.

People like the OP = why it's a fucking nightmare to work in retail/customer service...
    No it is not a privilege to access a service I'm paying for. I'm sorry you have issues with paying customers. I'm not sure why you are triggered, maybe you need professional help?

Americans have zero consumer's rights and they have no idea what those are, so I'm not surprised by the constantly white knighting and company bootlicking Blizzard gets from american fans. They think a corporation is their friend instead of just another service provider. Oh, one day they'll realize how stupid they are, but it's certainly not in this decade. Maybe when they're in an emergency situation and they realize how hard and expensive it is to go through insurance, they'll understand that they're just another number in the spreadsheet for these huge companies; nothing more.

You can, quite literally choose to NOT live with electricity. People do it all the time, so yes, it IS a privilege.
    Sealth [Cenarius] Priest

I'm still totally amazed by some of these responses! I was writing tongue in cheek that electricity was a privilege, that we have people that actually think basic services such as water and electricity, that are paid for by the consumer are a privilege for the consumer...wow and so sad.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizy View Post
    So we have people that believe that even when you pay for a service it's a privilege to use the service! I guess that means it's a privilege to use electricity...I pay for it but... Then it must be a privilege to pay for internet access, heck your provider may choose to cut you off if you don't deem it so! lol We pay to play games on the internet, so it must be a privilege that the provider allows us to play! I guess Walmart must be a privilege also, they allow us to shop in their store! Don't speak about McDonalds! Really? NO, it's is a privilege for a provider to have us using their services not the other way around...
    While I agree in principle, I fail to see how is this related to anything WoW...

Quote Originally Posted by fishoa View Post
    Americans have zero consumer's rights and they have no idea what those are, so I'm not surprised by the constantly white knighting and company bootlicking Blizzard gets from american fans. They think a corporation is their friend instead of just another service provider. Oh, one day they'll realize how stupid they are, but it's certainly not in this decade. Maybe when they're in an emergency situation and they realize how hard and expensive it is to go through insurance, they'll understand that they're just another number in the spreadsheet for these huge companies; nothing more.
    /clap
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
    You can, quite literally choose to NOT live with electricity. People do it all the time, so yes, it IS a privilege.
    It is a privilege IF it was free but we pay for it therefore it is an agreement involving compensation for that service. The existence of that service may be called a privilege but when you pay for it you are retarded if you do not expect the service in return as agreed in the contract.

What's interesting to me is that you realize that any business can refuse to serve you for any reason right? For example let's use Walmart. You could walk around being an ass in Walmart, knocking shit off the shelves and telling employees to clean up your mess, and you can actually be kicked off the premises and then be trespassed from the location legally. Which would indeed lose your privilege to shop at Walmart. (No matter how much money you are spending it doesn't give you the right to just do whatever you want, although one could argue that with enough money you can get away with anything)

Edit: Universal Utilities are a whole different story and you can't really compare the two.

While using the pure definition, yes a service technically is a privilege. The reality is it's a simple customer/business arrangement for service. It's not a privilege such as driving where the privilege to drive is extended to anyone, as long as they meet previous requirements.
    A service isn't really a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixiespork View Post
    What's interesting to me is that you realize that any business can refuse to serve you for any reason right? For example let's use Walmart. You could walk around being an ass in Walmart, knocking shit off the shelves and telling employees to clean up your mess, and you can actually be kicked off the premises and then be trespassed from the location legally. Which would indeed lose your privilege to shop at Walmart. (No matter how much money you are spending it doesn't give you the right to just do whatever you want, although one could argue that with enough money you can get away with anything)

Edit: Universal Utilities are a whole different story and you can't really compare the two.
    Shopping at Walmart is NOT a privilege, it is a social contract we enter into. the definition of privilege is:"a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people". If Walmart was a members only organization that granted that membership based on something like race or nationality then maybe you could call it privilege but you could also call it something else...

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    It is a privilege IF it was free but we pay for it therefore it is an agreement involving compensation for that service. The existence of that service may be called a privilege but when you pay for it you are retarded if you do not expect the service in return as agreed in the contract.
    The contract is about you being granted the privilege of access to the service in exchange for the fee and following the ToS.

It's not the existence of the service that is a privilege. It's you being allowed to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    While using the pure definition, yes a service technically is a privilege. The reality is it's a simple customer/business arrangement for service. It's not a privilege such as driving where the privilege to drive is extended to anyone, as long as they meet previous requirements.
    A service isn't really a privilege.
    If it extends to anyone, it is by definition not a privilege. A privilege applies to certain individuals, not the general public. Which is why this case counts, since every WoW sub is pertaining to a certain individual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    Shopping at Walmart is NOT a privilege, it is a social contract we enter into. the definition of privilege is:"a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people". If Walmart was a members only organization that granted that membership based on something like race or nationality then maybe you could call it privilege but you could also call it something else...
    If we use the original definition, being refused entry would actually be a privilege. The association with purely beneficial rulings only came later.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, I don't understand what you point is?

Are you complaining that you have to follow the ToS to play WoW?

Or are you just complaining about people using the word privilege?

10+ Year Old Account
    This has nothing to do with WoW, and isn't constructive, closing.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)