Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"To be honest/Honestly"

Does this expression have any meaning anymore, or do people just use it to start/chain a phrase in the past 3-4 years?

"Honestly, my favorite color is blue." Ok, shit, good thing you din't lie to me about that, would've turned my world upside down.

"I don't even know what I want to order to be honest." Right, because switching your mind 5 times in the past 2 minutes didn't indicate that already. Also, I appreciate that you would confide in me this hard to admit admission.

"Honestly, I would rather do snowboarding than surfing." Is that something you would actually lie about....why....?

I feel that the word "like" has been replaced by "honestly", and whenever I hear people use it these days I want to shout IS THAT SOMETHING YOU WOULD ACTUALLY LIE ABOUT?

15+ Year Old Account
    But for real though I honestly think it doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly hate this as well, to be completely honest with you.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are way too many meaningless filler expressions used in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I honestly think this thread is pretty pointless.

I honestly dont really understand why complain about this. To be honest, it is a pretty pointless thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once people are done with their memes.. I usually use it in context of indicating that I'm stating my feelings on the matter, rather than the answer itself.

Especially at work. If I get asked a question, I can answer the proper answer (which isn't incorrect), or I can answer what I think.

Ex: Boss asks me how much I'm charging for a service.

Answer 1: We're going to be billing X amount for these services that the customer requested.

Answer 2: Honestly, I don't think these are the proper services to be quoted for this customer, and we should be exploring another route, even though that's what the customer asked for.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

TBH I hate it when I catch myself saying this.

7+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I really need a shit right now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    To be honest, I really need a shit right now.
    Need a shit? What are you going to do with it? Fingerpainting?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I try to use the term when there's an 'accepted' way of doing things and my statement goes against the said 'accepted' way. For example, 'Everyone says X is the best, but honestly Y and Z are just as good'
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Never use the phrase...It would imply that I might not otherwise be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Does this expression have any meaning anymore, or do people just use it to start/chain a phrase in the past 3-4 years?

"Honestly, my favorite color is blue." Ok, shit, good thing you din't lie to me about that, would've turned my world upside down.

"I don't even know what I want to order to be honest." Right, because switching your mind 5 times in the past 2 minutes didn't indicate that already. Also, I appreciate that you would confide in me this hard to admit admission.

"Honestly, I would rather do snowboarding than surfing." Is that something you would actually lie about....why....?

I feel that the word "like" has been replaced by "honestly", and whenever I hear people use it these days I want to shout IS THAT SOMETHING YOU WOULD ACTUALLY LIE ABOUT?
    Linguistically it is a way for the speaker to state an opinion, while also indicating they don't mean to start a confrontation or give offense. At least in the examples you provided.

Of course those phrases, in different context or said with a different tone, can mean the opposite and the entire purpose is to state "i'm about to say something you wont like."

"to be honest, this really isn't my thing." (but I'm cool with it if that's what the group decides.)
    vs
    "to be honest, you're ideas are fucking stupid." (That's what I really think, and I'm pissed off)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Need a shit? What are you going to do with it? Fingerpainting?
    To be honest, you don't have to think to know what it means, or do you also think "taking a shit" means to take a shit from the toilet or ground?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    To be honest, you don't have to think to know what it means, or do you also think "taking a shit" means to take a shit from the toilet or ground?
    Taking a shit is an expression for pooping, needing a shit isn't. Needing to take a shit is.

Your bad, you should suck it up imho!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Taking a shit is an expression for pooping, needing a shit isn't. Needing to take a shit is.

Your bad, you should suck it up imho!
    Oh the irony

10+ Year Old Account
    Everybody lies, that's the honest truth, but to me the difference is someone who is Honest knows that honesty is the best policy, but recognize the world we live in that the Truth especially without context can actually do damage and isn't always constructive.

Someone who is dishonest is someone who simply lies for selfish reasons and doesn't care who is hurt one way or another except for themselves.

I like Tony Montana's take hahaha " I always tell the truth, even when I lie" for some it's simply a mechanism for function, in the case of Tony his morals were all fucked up by the end, the truth was it was himself he was deceiving more than anyone else. His wife hated him, He didn't trust his best friend, he even destroyed his sister the one person he claim to want to protect.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    I usually use it when I'm saying something I know/suspect is contrary to what the person I'm talking to was expecting me to say, to indicate that I'm aware of that.

Depend on the contexte/situation for what you are talking abour OP.

As a side note, im a really honest guy in life and let me tell you, people dont like dealing with someone honest. Like the classic "Does that dress makes me look fat?" If i think yes, i'll say yes. And they really dont like that :')
    "Do you think im stupid or what???!!!" Yes.
    And a bunch of stuff like that. It's fun half the time since most people dont expect an honest answer :') (The other half, people just get angry and i find that funny)

I could jerk my wiener to this thread