Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What could be happening in Blizzard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh0m...ature=youtu.be

I believe that this MIGHT be a start of a possible reasoning of the things happening in Blizzard and what Activision is doing to the company

Those reasons too, and this.

Mobile is the future, whether we like it or not. And Activision-Blizzard want their fair share of $$$.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Yeah no
    I don't think that guy does any research on his vids now

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    Yeah no
    I don't think that guy does any research on his vids now
    I got that impression before, really...
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Diablo Immortal

Blizzard knows what theyre doing! The problem is you, you and the rest of us.

They're just focusing their efforts on a larger and dumber audience to try and take advantage of.

They will earn more money focusing on mobile for the next few years than they would making "loyal fans" happy. They know we'll probably stick around and pay either way, specially if they throw a cheap bone like Warcraft 3 Reforged every now and then.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post

Those reasons too, and this.

Mobile is the future, whether we like it or not. And Activision-Blizzard want their fair share of $$$.
    DING! DING! We have a winner....

You are correct sir/madam

Nobody denies that mobile is the market share with the largest potential for growth. The problem is the kind of content (both video and games) that is demanded by this market share is....extremely shallow. You do not watch a good movie on your smartphone...nor would you play Baldur's Gate II on it.

Also, there is the problem of overmilking the mobile market with micro transactions. I could see a real problem with credit there in the near future when clicking on "buy now!" becomes just too common - especially for those with empty bank accounts.

Anyway...it's a trend that cannot be stopped, even if you can clearly see the train running up against the wall. There was a video game crash before...and there will be more in the future.

I might be blinding myself with optimism but:

I'm hoping that rather than blizzard doing the standard mobile strategies will actually make a quality game that brings me into a decent mobile game.

One such game might be a pet battle game linked to my WoW account that can earn me those little pet biscuits and such.

Or maybe a hero based RTS.

In any case I hope that rather than taking the easy money approach that blizzard will take the quality of mobile games to an acceptable level

Deleted
    Well in EU there will be soon wave of banning stuff like loot boxes, mictotransation and other addictive mechanics so those games wont be profitable. And many other countries will follow.

Honestly I thought mobile games were cool at first when the smartphone craze was starting to take off (words with friends, draw something, etc.....) but the amount of in-app purchasing and other paywall bullshit that has become today's mobile gaming is just insane

No I dont want to spend $100 to buy gems to unlock some crap that would otherwise take me 2 weeks to "grind".

The reason mobile games do so well is because they are usually free, but laden with in-app purchases that are very tempting. Not to mention almost everybody has a phone so they don't have to market their games to people with a specific console or fancy gaming pc.

Fuck mobile gaming seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Well in EU there will be soon wave of banning stuff like loot boxes, mictotransation and other addictive mechanics so those games wont be profitable. And many other countries will follow.
    Thank god. This is the kind of crap that is sucking the soul out of video games.

I doubt USA has the balls to follow through on something like this though. RIP.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosteye View Post
    Honestly I thought mobile games were cool at first when the smartphone craze was starting to take off (words with friends, draw something, etc.....) but the amount of in-app purchasing and other paywall bullshit that has become today's mobile gaming is just insane

No I dont want to spend $100 to buy gems to unlock some crap that would otherwise take me 2 weeks to "grind".

The reason mobile games do so well is because they are usually free, but laden with in-app purchases that are very tempting. Not to mention almost everybody has a phone so they don't have to market their games to people with a specific console or fancy gaming pc.

Fuck mobile gaming seriously.

Thank god. This is the kind of crap that is sucking the soul out of video games.

I doubt USA has the balls to follow through on something like this though. RIP.
    EU =/= ENGLAND

Just saying in case youre from this fucking country.

The issue really is Activision.

Diablo Immortal is just blizzard wanting to tap into the most lucrative market in the world. Chinese cash grab cell phone games. The fact Netease is doing it is blizzards way of bypassing Chinese law preventing them from making gambling style ingame microtransactions.

The paycuts is just more Activision trying to make more profits. Profit sharing was great for employee retention. They loved it, they got a lot of great money out of it. However, these days companies are greedy as fuck. They've accepted that employees don't last anymore and as such as taken away almost all incentive to stay in it.

Also, 10% of the people that play Mobile games account for 90% of all sales in game. It's basically just catering and exploiting people with certain personality traits that are exploitable. Mostly completitions and gamblers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    They're just focusing their efforts on a larger and dumber audience to try and take advantage of.

It is called making money, PC gaming is not the hottest thing out there if we say so. certain game titles on mobile devices have dedicated people investing thousands of dollars into just a single game. blizzard would be stupid to not aiming to take a chunk of this pie

Quote Originally Posted by iNUKE View Post
    EU =/= ENGLAND

Just saying in case youre from this fucking country.
    No I'm USA.

I think that randomized transactions (loot boxes), or currency transactions (gems/in game currency) should be removed from all games.

Paid Loot boxes are basically gambling. Just offer the skins for direct sale so people can pick & choose what they want to buy. Fixed. Loot crates should only ever exist as an end-of-match reward,etc.

In-game currency transactions are usually addictive in their own right because most game companies make progression incredibly difficult without these transactions. People feel "forced" into buying crates of gems or whatever in order to progress in a reasonable timeframe. This is incredibly shady business practice. It's made worse when you have kids begging their parents for this crap.
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2018-11-15 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    They will earn more money focusing on mobile for the next few years than they would making "loyal fans" happy. They know we'll probably stick around and pay either way, specially if they throw a cheap bone like Warcraft 3 Reforged every now and then.
    sad but very true.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It is called making money, PC gaming is not the hottest thing out there if we say so. certain game titles on mobile devices have dedicated people investing thousands of dollars into just a single game. blizzard would be stupid to not aiming to take a chunk of this pie
    It's a smart move for people who don't care about gaming. Anyways, if we're going to get another McDonalds company I'll just have to find the next mom and pop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Very true.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Millennials can't spend more than 30min on the same activity, so they want games with simple gameplay (max 4 abilities) that you can play everywhere and in short sessions -> Phone games.