Poll: Do you agree with what this school is doing?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    Why? I mean, how is it justifiable that some people can succeed easier because they can live life in easy mode not through their own merrit or abilities but through the accomplishments of a family members to which they never contributed anything?

You sound like somebody who leeches of his parents.
    How is it justifiable? What's wrong with parents wanting there kids to have a good life? Life is not fair, some people will have a much easier life then others. That's just the way it goes.

And for the record my mother "leeches" off of me.

It's a school setting. The school isn't saying the kids aren't allowed to have expensive coats, they're trying to say that that kind of fancy show-offy shit isn't proper for a place of education.

Some schools have dress codes and don't allow your own specific coats at all. It really isn't that noteworthy that one school has decided that a brand of coat is having negative impact on their attempts to create an educational workplace.
    If it was causing a problem in that particular school then yes it should be banned for that particular school, because they're there to learn not show off their status symbols. They still have the majority of the day to flaunt their expensive stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    How is it justifiable? What's wrong with parents wanting there kids to have a good life? Life is not fair, some people will have a much easier life then others. That's just the way it goes.

And for the record my mother "leeches" off of me.
    Then justify why it shouldn't be allowed to take the easy life from another person, when it is unfairly distributed. Why shouldn't the poor be allowed to murder and steel from those who have without having earned?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would ban them too, but because I don't want some parent complaining to when the coat is damaged at school.

Who wears something like that to school?

That's ridiculous, stupid, and antagonizing. We know some kids take school as a fashion show but nonsense is nonsense.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    And if somebody was born with a genius level IQ, are you going to lobotomize him in order to make things fair? Or perhaps in your ideal world, we would just lobotomize everyone.
    This is a stupid argument. Somebody having a genius level IQ is something which is in their own merit and ability. Someone getting access to the best educational opportunities without the abilities that would justify it is basically tribal communism. The entire problem could be solved by distributing taxes equally to all school, give free access to universities with the universities being bound to give their spots to the people with the best results and prohibit private schooling. Wouldn't this be meritocracy? Those who work the hardest and bring in the best results with their own abilities succeeding?

I bet the ban is more to prevent theft. When I was in college some idiot left his room unlocked and had $10,000 in designer clothing stolen.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then justify why it shouldn't be allowed to take the easy life from another person, when it is unfairly distributed. Why shouldn't the poor be allowed to murder and steel from those who have without having earned?
    Because that's insane and only a mad man would think otherwise. Really dude grow up. We are not fucking savages anymore.

They are going to school to learn not have a fashion show. Don't make this political.

This is a stupid argument. Somebody having a genius level IQ is something which is in their own merit and ability. Someone getting access to the best educational opportunities without the abilities that would justify it is basically tribal communism. The entire problem could be solved by distributing taxes equally to all school, give free access to universities with the universities being bound to give their spots to the people with the best results and prohibit private schooling. Wouldn't this be meritocracy? Those who work the hardest and bring in the best results with their own abilities succeeding?
    So you believe the only things that make people unequal are the economic situations they were born into? Many people are born with advantages and disadvantages outside of economics. If one person is born unable to walk, and another is born with natural physical talent with the potential to be a great athlete, how is that fair? At least in the case of economics, there is the potential that at some point somebody was able to make a conscious effort to improve their situation, but with these other circumstances it comes completely down to the cruel whims of fate and genetics. How would you right such injustices?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by VanishingAct View Post
    Over the years it seems to be a consistent thing that certain people would rather bring the majority down to a lower level, rather than rise the minority to a higher level. No obviously not talking about race.
    Yep. Society likes to punish the successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Being materialistic doesn't mean you're going to try harder in your career or education. Your argument is nonsense.
    I can't tell if you are denying basic human nature or free will entirely. It sounds like you are literally claiming that motivation and effort don't exist, that everything is just completely random.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Uniforms or reduce the gap between rich and poor so people can clothe themselves without relying on charity or suffer bullying from people who have it all yet still find something missing.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

They are absolutely right because spending that much money on a damn coat is stupid.

And how are they gonna enforce such an idiotic measure? Confiscate the evil expensive coats and send kids back home without them? Don't make me laugh. And even if shielding kids from reality was a good idea, and it's not, how do they think they'd manage exactly, in 2018?

So wealthy people are victims of dress codes and school uniforms? However will they cope.

Who is buying their kid a $1200 jacket? Like it isn't going to get stolen. There's Supreme jackets cheaper than that.

I think it should be illegal to share financial ressources with a kid that hasn't earned them. If a parent buys their kids something above a maximal price level, the state should have the right to take the kids away. If we want meritocracy, rich kids shouldn't get the option to play on easy mode, just because their parents or grandparents or great grandparents at some point where productive, allowing them to succed in live while being lazy fucks.
    It takes a serious God complex to think that you should have the authority to dictate to other people how much they can spend on their kids' clothes. Find some help for yourself. This is neither normal, nor healthy.

So this did turn out to be the dumpster fire I was expecting.

It isn't "distributed" at all. The government isn't going out and dictating what kids gets money and what kids don't. People own things, and being the owners of those things, they can freely give them to whomever they like. Just because you don't like what someone does with their own property doesn't give you the right to steal it. Duh. Honestly, you are arguing some of the mostly overtly evil rhetoric I've ever seen anyone say without obvious trolling, so I'm going to assume that's what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    It's a school setting. The school isn't saying the kids aren't allowed to have expensive coats, they're trying to say that that kind of fancy show-offy shit isn't proper for a place of education.

Some schools have dress codes and don't allow your own specific coats at all. It really isn't that noteworthy that one school has decided that a brand of coat is having negative impact on their attempts to create an educational workplace.
    If it was causing a problem in that particular school then yes it should be banned for that particular school, because they're there to learn not show off their status symbols. They still have the majority of the day to flaunt their expensive stuff.
    "I buy Canada goose because it is a reputable brand know for quality and keeping my child warm"

How is that show off?