Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    because if Blizzard think a few hundred players in a zone is enough to necessitate sharding to protect/ensure server stability; this has implications on other parts of the game.
    lololol "a few hundred". You sweet summer child. Read your comment back in a year. You're gonna really be embarrassed at your past self.

The "main" argument for sharding presented is that it prevents "server congestion" around quest mobs or objects. Which is why I think it's nonsense, but that part of the argument is subjective. However if there is a serious technical side to it; then I'd be interested to know.
    No, it is for server stability. You don't just get to change it because you don't understand how server tech works on literally any level. And you know who DOES know the serious technical side to it? Blizzard. It is their opinion that you are disagreeing with, even though you are 100% ignorant on the topic.

You are the equivalent to telling the IT guy that you don't need to turn the PC off and on again because you know all about computers and he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes0773 View Post
    lololol "a few hundred". You sweet summer child. Read your comment back in a year. You're gonna really be embarrassed at your past self.

No, it is for server stability. You don't just get to change it because you don't understand how server tech works on literally any level. And you know who DOES know the serious technical side to it? Blizzard. It is their opinion that you are disagreeing with, even though you are 100% ignorant on the topic.

You are the equivalent to telling the IT guy that you don't need to turn the PC off and on again because you know all about computers and he doesn't.
    Right so city raids are gonna be shit as are World boss raids, thanks that's all I was asking about.

Can't handle a few hundred people in a zone, what a joke.

(Could just try ansering the question as it is, instead of being a total dickhead but then that's not your MO )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Right so city raids are gonna be shit as are World boss raids, thanks that's all I was asking about.

Can't handle a few hundred people in a zone, what a joke.

(Could just try ansering the question as it is, instead of being a total dickhead but then that's not your MO )
    They were shit to deal with in Vanilla, and as far as I've seen on live anytime you get that many people in one area the server still has issues ( not to mention most people's PC's).

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    They were shit to deal with in Vanilla, and as far as I've seen on live anytime you get that many people in one area the server still has issues ( not to mention most people's PC's).
    On live maybe yeah. Since Cata they also massively increased the rate guard NPCs spawn; think it may have been to do with the map overhaul and the changes to some of the city lay outs.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

On live maybe yeah. Since Cata they also massively increased the rate guard NPCs spawn; think it may have been to do with the map overhaul and the changes to some of the city lay outs.
    The NPC'S were never really the issue though, it was trying to deal with that while the server was trying to process all of the players. That last part from my most recent experiences hasn't really gotten any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    The NPC'S were never really the issue though, it was trying to deal with that while the server was trying to process all of the players. That last part from my most recent experiences hasn't really gotten any better.
    I understood that one of the methods used to maintain stability on 'other servers' was to reduce the range that players could "see" NPCs leading to less information needed per player. Kinda like fogging used to protect against graphics issues.

I understood that one of the methods used to maintain stability on 'other servers' was to reduce the range that players could "see" NPCs leading to less information needed per player. Kinda like fogging used to protect against graphics issues.
    It may have but on live currently even with sharding and such I know Tirigarde can still bog down because of its proximity to Boralus. So all of that stuff may keep the server from just dieing like it did in Vanilla, but performance can still be affected. ( It feels a lot like Crystalsong Forest during WotLK).